4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Guys I need HELP with these 2 ECU codes->

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 09:12 AM

0902 and 1001? I also notice my air fuel Gauges is reading LEAN. 1001 says front heated oxygen sensor,Left bank.
possible causes might be a harness or connectors or sensor cicuit is open or shorted. But I can't find anything on code 0902!!! Ps I just recently had my Flex pipe repaired might this have something to do with this problem?
Old 08-03-2001, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Jose
0902 and 1001? I also notice my air fuel Gauges is reading LEAN. 1001 says front heated oxygen sensor,Left bank.
possible causes might be a harness or connectors or sensor cicuit is open or shorted. But I can't find anything on code 0902!!! Ps I just recently had my Flex pipe repaired might this have something to do with this problem?
In the course of making the flex pipe repair the technician may have disconnected the rear Oxygen Sensor, damaged it, or damaged the wiring. Oxygen Sensors are fairly delicate. Drop it, just once, and it's probably dead.
Old 08-03-2001, 09:59 AM

DTC 0902

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0902 points to a problem with the Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater.

The malfunction is detected when the current in the Oxygen Sensor heater circuit is out of the normal range.
Possible causes include ...
- the electrical harnesses
- the connector
- the Oxygen Sensor heaters

You may test the heater with an ohmmeter. This test is done with the engine off.

Raise the car and support it on sturdy jackstands. Slide under and disconnect the connector. Viewed with the connector latch at the 12 o'clock position, there are four terminals. They are numbered 1-2, top row, right to left and 3-4, bottom row, right to left. Be sure to measure the resistances of the Oxygen Sensor, not the harness which leads to the Engine Control Unit.

Measure the resistance between terminals 1 and 4.
The factory spec is 2.3-4.3 ohms at 77 degrees Fahrenheit.

Measure the resistance between terminals 2 and each of the other terminals.
The reading should be infinity (no connection).

Measure the resistance between terminals 3 and each of the other terminals.

Check fuse #31 (15 amps) in the passenger cabin fuse block. That fuse block has three columns of fuses.
The left-most column contains fuses 1 - 11, numbered from bottom to top.
The middle column contains fuses 12 - 26, numbered from bottom to top.
The right-most column contains fuses 27 - 40, numbered from bottom to top.

The numbers are molded into the plastic fuse block. They are not easy to read. A flashlight will be helpful.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:29 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

But I can't find anything on code 0902!!!
To quote my own ECU sticky post:

"These are only a reference and do not completely cover all variances. "

Translation: that post ain't got all the code explanations.

It simply means Daniel hasn't been able to writeup and explain them as he so kindly does. There's no need to panic if a code explanation isn't in there.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:24 AM

Re: Thanks Daniel and Bill !!!!

N/M

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0902 points to a problem with the Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater.

The malfunction is detected when the current in the Oxygen Sensor heater circuit is out of the normal range.
- the connector

You may test the heater with an ohmmeter. This test is done with the engine off.

Raise the car and support it on sturdy jackstands. Slide under and disconnect the connector. Viewed with the connector latch at the 12 o'clock position, there are four terminals. They are numbered 1-2, top row, right to left and 3-4, bottom row, right to left. Be sure to measure the resistances of the Oxygen Sensor, not the harness which leads to the Engine Control Unit.

Check fuse #31 (15 amps) in the passenger cabin fuse block. That fuse block has three columns of fuses.

The numbers are molded into the plastic fuse block. They are not easy to read. A flashlight will be helpful.
Old 08-04-2001, 06:42 AM

Re: Well I checked the fuse and yes it was blown->

I replaced it with a 20 amp instead of a 15 amp and its ok for now. I will have to get it checked out maybe I have a short somewhere. Any suggestions where to look other than the 02 sensors?
Jose

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

- the connector

Old 08-04-2001, 06:59 AM

Fuse upgrade is a bad practice

I replaced it with a 20 amp instead of a 15 amp and its ok for now. I will have to get it checked out maybe I have a short somewhere. Any suggestions where to look other than the 02 sensors?
Jose
A fuse is a protective device. It protects the wiring on the branch circuit which it serves. If Nissan put a 15 amp fuse on a circuit that means the wire on that circuit is sized to safely handle 15 amps. If you change the fuse to a higher rating you are defeating this safety mechanism. You would probably get away with it in the short term but not in the long term. You risk ending up with a "toasted" harness and a big repair bill.