4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

6 Spd Celica GT-S VS. Auto Maxima, Details on Mods in post. Who would win?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 05:19 PM
pimpman81

Ok I have a buddy that wants to race for money. He bought a Celica GT-S about 2 months ago. It is completely stock. It has the TRD package and claims to have 194HP. I have a 97 Auto Maxima, GXE. I have Stillen Intake, Stillen Y-Pipe, Custom Cat-Back Exhaust system. Who would win. He wants to race for $200 bucks. I told him that if we raced it would be a best out of 3 and he said ok. Should I race him or would I lose my money? I also just bought a brand new fuel pump which seemed to help acceleration but I dont think that will make a difference. So should I race him or not? Oh the race would be a 1/4 mile long. Thanks

Old 08-06-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by pimpman81
Ok I have a buddy that wants to race for money. He bought a Celica GT-S about 2 months ago. It is completely stock. It has the TRD package and claims to have 194HP. I have a 97 Auto Maxima, GXE. I have Stillen Intake, Stillen Y-Pipe, Custom Cat-Back Exhaust system. Who would win. He wants to race for $200 bucks. I told him that if we raced it would be a best out of 3 and he said ok. Should I race him or would I lose my money? I also just bought a brand new fuel pump which seemed to help acceleration but I dont think that will make a difference. So should I race him or not? Oh the race would be a 1/4 mile long. Thanks
I posted asking how fast the GT-S's were about a week ago. Well I found out the other night. I was in town with my buddy in his 99 Auto GLE, and a GT-S pulled up to us and asked us how we liked the Maxima. He said he was thinking about getting one but decided to get the Celica, anyway he asked to race to see if he had made the right decision and boughten the faster car. So we went out to a country road and I got out and they raced. My buddy has JWT Pop-Charger, Stillen Y-pipe and Greddy Cat-Back, so almost identical to what you have. To make a long story short the Celica won the first two times and then my buddy won the 3rd time. So there you go 1 out of 3 you lose $200. The races were very close though and maybe your friend doesnt drive as well, so I guess it could go either way. Im not sure if its worth $200 bucks though unless you know you can win. Take Care and good luck
Old 08-06-2001, 05:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I was at the track I saw a stock Celica GT-S 6 speed run 15.5. However, I also saw one that had an intake and exhaust run a 14.6 neck and neck with an Integra Type-R 14.5. I think it is how well the driver knows how to shift their 6-speed.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:46 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

If he isnt a good stick driver, you will win. If he can drive the stick, it should be TIGHT, and anyones game.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:37 PM
ybelm620

Your max weighs more than than the GT-S. I notice that you have no suspension mods, so that means the GT-S TRD suspension stock for stock is better than yours na d thats not good. But don't be suprised to see if he gives you a run for your money(200 bucks). He is light and quick, and has 6-SPDs, and if he can drive a stick meaning he can race, i will not be suprised if he beats you. Think of a TYPE-R racing u, thyis car has very close gears, and is just fast. Good luck hope you win!!!

Old 08-06-2001, 10:20 PM

It is definitely gonna take some effort. I raced a GTS this past weekend. I think it was pretty much stock accept for some type of intake mod because it sounded a little louder than stock. Granted we didn't begin from a start. We started at approximately 65mph so I was at the bottom of 3rd gear. Immediately as we began the race he started pulling away, but by the top of third and shifting into 4th we were neck and neck. By the time I was at the top of 4th, I had pulled approximately a 1/2 a car a head. We stayed that way till we had to shut it down at about 125mph.

Those cars are fast...I have never raced one from a stop but I was thoroughly impressed by the freeway action. This was my hardest race in a long time but it was fun.

You have an automatic so you may have your work cut out for you.

Keep us posted
Old 08-06-2001, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by BigHops99se
It is definitely gonna take some effort. I raced a GTS this past weekend. I think it was pretty much stock accept for some type of intake mod because it sounded a little louder than stock. Granted we didn't begin from a start. We started at approximately 65mph so I was at the bottom of 3rd gear. Immediately as we began the race he started pulling away, but by the top of third and shifting into 4th we were neck and neck. By the time I was at the top of 4th, I had pulled approximately a 1/2 a car a head. We stayed that way till we had to shut it down at about 125mph.

Those cars are fast...I have never raced one from a stop but I was thoroughly impressed by the freeway action. This was my hardest race in a long time but it was fun.

You have an automatic so you may have your work cut out for you.

Keep us posted
Yeah the GT-S's with the TRD package come with some kind of Intake and Exhaust. That is why the one that you raced sounded louder than stock. Take Care
Old 08-06-2001, 10:47 PM
Granny Driven

Maxima Celica

Auto 6spd
Heavy Light
190hp 194hp
GLE TRD

I guess you loose
Old 08-06-2001, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA
Maxima Celica

Auto 6spd
Heavy Light
190hp 194hp
GLE TRD

I guess you loose
Your wrong, its the GT-S, with the TRD package. lol just playin but the actual model name is the GT-S. Take Care