4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

steel wheels vs. alloys

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 08:56 AM

hi everyone. i have a 95 gle with 14-spoke oem rims & i'm thinking about getting steel wheels/covers for winter driving. is there any difference in how the car handles/rides between the 2, or is it just cosmetic? thanks for any help- i really appreicate it. ps- i also posted this in the general discussion forum. hope that's ok?
maury
Old 08-07-2001, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Maury
... i have a 95 gle with 14-spoke oem rims & i'm thinking about getting steel wheels/covers for winter driving. is there any difference in how the car handles/rides between the 2, or is it just cosmetic? ...
Stock Maxima 15" steel wheels are light. They weigh 20 pounds each, including the valve stem. This is lighter than some models of stock Maxima alloy wheels. Therefore "steelies" may actually perform better than alloys.
Less unsprung weight ==> better handling.
Less rotating mass ==> faster acceleration.

You may be able to get a set of used "steelies" at no cost, from a Maxima owner who replaced them with alloys. I did.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:22 PM

There should be very little difference between the performance of 15" steel and alloy stockers. They weigh practically the same.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:45 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Tip

I have a 95 SE. I had the 8 spoked alloys. When I got my 17'' Konig's, I took the stock wheel/tire and weighed it. It only weighed 39 pounds. I then took my 17x8 Konigs wrapped in NanKang tires, weighed them, and they only weighed 41 pounds! The rims by themselves only weigh 20 pounds each also, same as stock.

BUT, much to my dismay, I felt I lost a tad bit of high end power. As I was driving on the highway, I turned off the overdive and floored it. It was responsive, but not as responive as when the stock wheels were on.

So heres my point. Even if you find a light bigger wheel, your max still has to work a lil harder to turn them becuase of their size. It sucks, but its the price you have to pay for good looks.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Tip

Originally posted by Craig Mack
I have a 95 SE. I had the 8 spoked alloys. When I got my 17'' Konig's, I took the stock wheel/tire and weighed it. It only weighed 39 pounds. I then took my 17x8 Konigs wrapped in NanKang tires, weighed them, and they only weighed 41 pounds! The rims by themselves only weigh 20 pounds each also, same as stock.

BUT, much to my dismay, I felt I lost a tad bit of high end power. As I was driving on the highway, I turned off the overdive and floored it. It was responsive, but not as responive as when the stock wheels were on.

So heres my point. Even if you find a light bigger wheel, your max still has to work a lil harder to turn them becuase of their size. It sucks, but its the price you have to pay for good looks.
Even if the new combo is the same weight as the stockers, since the new combo places more weight near the edge of the wheel, it has a higher moment of inertia than the stock combo. This means it's harder to turn.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:03 PM

Re: Tip

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Yep, high speed acceleration is definitely slower with my 17"'s than with my stocker 15's. I remember getting up to 120 was no problem with the stockers, but with my 17's, the acceleration slows noticably at around 110, and then slowly slowly climbs from there. But then who goes 110 anyways. The tradeoff in performance 17's vs. 15's is dramatic and worth every penny.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Stock Maxima 15" steel wheels are light. They weigh 20 pounds each, including the valve stem. This is lighter than some models of stock Maxima alloy wheels. Therefore "steelies" may actually perform better than alloys.
Less unsprung weight ==> better handling.
Less rotating mass ==> faster acceleration.

You may be able to get a set of used "steelies" at no cost, from a Maxima owner who replaced them with alloys. I did.
Ahem... I think you forgot to mention....

Less unsprung weight ==> better handling AND RIDE due to the wheel assmbly being able to react more easily to irregularities in the road....

Less rotating mass ==> faster acceleration AND deceleration (i.e. braking)

-V
Old 08-08-2001, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by vmok
Ahem... I think you forgot to mention....

Less unsprung weight ==> better handling AND RIDE due to the wheel assmbly being able to react more easily to irregularities in the road....

Less rotating mass ==> faster acceleration AND deceleration (i.e. braking)

-V
Right on all counts!
Old 08-08-2001, 02:04 PM

thanks guys! i'll continue looking for cheap steely's now that i know they don't suck
have a great day
maury