4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best Speed Mod (Besides S/C)???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 10:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What's the best speed mod for an Automatic besides a S/C or Turbo, under $1000???

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2001, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by iansw
What's the best speed mod for an Automatic besides a S/C or Turbo, under $1000???

Thanks,
NOS and then probably headers.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:46 AM

Well let's start out with the basics. You've got an intake, so now it's time for a Y-pipe (do a search for referance on which company to buy from, or go to www.gotricezone.com or custommaxima.com for deals any where from 175 (in a group deal to 350, I've seen). Then Don's VB mod (www.mobiletek.net $450) for qicker shifting, it can take up to a couple tenths off your 1/4. Then get the underdrive pulley ($200, do a search). You can sneak a catback exhaust and/or a high flow cat but they have minimal gains in comparison to some other mods. I kinda wish I hadn't gone completely Stillen because it was so expensive. I dropped a grand on the Y and Catback alone. If i had gotten a Warpspeed Y and a greddy exhaust it would have been cheaper. You should look into getting a tranny cooler for like $50 from a local pepboys. So let's do a breakdown:

Y-pipe: $200 For this price you'll be able to find a group deal (in the group deal forum) for an aluminized pipe
VB Mod: $450 (Look into Aamaco Transmissions doing a VB upgrade,heard they'll do it for $180, don't know about how great it is, but it'll help keep your tranny alive)
Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley: $200 w/ belts. Do a search to find Coz at UltimateZ.com He'll get you a good deal.

Total: $850 with an estimated 20+ extra horsepower with some faster shifting. Should do you nicely.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:14 PM
Licensed to Spell

Quick question for you Sith...

What exactly does this tranny cooler do, how does it work and what are the benefits? Is it lightweight? Easy to install? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:02 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Hmm...most performance increase for the least $$

LED washer nozzles
GTR badges
Clear bumper lights
Tornado air straigtener
Large subwoofers
Blue headlights
20" rims
Sidemarker lights
Indiglo guages
Monster tach
"Tuned by Stillen" badge
5% tint
5" exhaust tip
Large spoiler
Red vacuum hoses and wire looms
Any kind of dash kit
neon shift ****

Those should get you started. Let me know if you need any help.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:51 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by mzmtg
Hmm...most performance increase for the least $$

LED washer nozzles
GTR badges
Clear bumper lights
Tornado air straigtener
Large subwoofers
Blue headlights
20" rims
Sidemarker lights
Indiglo guages
Monster tach
"Tuned by Stillen" badge
5% tint
5" exhaust tip
Large spoiler
Red vacuum hoses and wire looms
Any kind of dash kit
neon shift ****

Those should get you started. Let me know if you need any help.

Old 08-07-2001, 02:15 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by SithMax
Then Don's VB mod (www.mobiletek.net $450) for qicker shifting, it can take up to a couple tenths off your 1/4. VB Mod: $450 (Look into Aamaco Transmissions doing a VB upgrade,heard they'll do it for $180, don't know about how great it is, but it'll help keep your tranny alive)

Total: $850 with an estimated 20+ extra horsepower with some faster shifting. Should do you nicely.
You heard about the AAMCO VB from me
Old 08-07-2001, 04:04 PM

Re: Quick question for you Sith...

Originally posted by ptatohed
What exactly does this tranny cooler do, how does it work and what are the benefits? Is it lightweight? Easy to install? Thanks.
Its an in line add on radiator for your transmision fluid, it keeps the teperatures down (but has a negative effect in the colder months). The temperatre reduction adds life to your transmission. It weighs about 1 pound, and can be installed by the home mechanic with basic hand tools in about 30 minutes.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

You heard about the AAMCO VB from me
ABSO-Fing-LUTELY I DID! Honestly it seems like a good idea. I told you that you turned me around about it.... I have an appointment at Aamco tomorrow to talk to the guy about it.

Anyway, a tranny cooler taps your tranny fluid and cools it down, thereby cooling your transmission. The auto tranny's biggest problem is heat, since there are so many moving parts and so much power (friction) running through it constantly. When it overheats it has trouble transfering power to the ground because things don't grip well, so you run slower.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:54 PM
Licensed to Spell

Thanks guys...

Regarding the tranny cooler, should I get the one from mobiltek for $40 or one from a local shop (Pep Boys, Napa, Kragen, etc.)? Thanks so much.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:58 PM

Re: Thanks guys...

Originally posted by ptatohed
Regarding the tranny cooler, should I get the one from mobiltek for $40 or one from a local shop (Pep Boys, Napa, Kragen, etc.)? Thanks so much.
Local. It's less wait, hassle, and no shipping costs.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:38 PM

Best speed would be NOS. Under 1 grand and best HP for the $$$.

This isnt a speed mod but great for autos. Get the VB mod & tranny cooler.

If you dont want NOS, next best thing would be Y-pipe.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Best speed would be NOS. Under 1 grand and best HP for the $$$.

This isnt a speed mod but great for autos. Get the VB mod & tranny cooler.

If you dont want NOS, next best thing would be Y-pipe.
Now, while that's technically true, it's just not safe. In order to do NOS properly and safely it'll cost you around 1500 easy. You could just get the Maxima kit (it's like 5 or 6 hundred) but there are lots of extras that you'll need for safety and convience that really do add up in cost. (window switch, bottle warmer, remote bottle opener, pressure safety valve, purge kit, some gauges, etc.) Also, it's only availible at WOT in a limited number of runs. Plus, it's not good for the car to add NOS to a stock system. Run a 50 shot or greater with the stock exhaust? That's rough. Run any decent amount of NOS on a stock auto tranny? Look to replace it soon. Also, running a 50 shot on a choked stock exhaust and weak tranny will mean like 25-30 hp to the wheels. Worthless, for that work, wear, tear, and cash.

While the VB mod doesn't give you any more power, it does sort of give you speed since you shift quicker and gain speed faster, like I said. You'll run faster 60' times and faster 1/4 mi. times. Proof is in the pudding.

Tranny cooler may be slightly detrimental for starting in cold weather but it'll increase the life of the tranny and is real cheap and goes on the car in about 45 min. It's worth the 40-50 bucks. Since you live in Seatle, get a smaller one. (I don't have one myself, but only because my money's invested elsewhere and I'm *probably* converting to 5-speed this fall. fingers crossed...)

But think of it this way, get a y-pipe, vb-mod, tranny cooler then save up some extra cash and THEN add NOS. But if you really aren't sure how you feel safety wise (it can not only kill your car, but you as well) then just avoid it and stick to standard bolt ons. Like all tools, NOS shouldn't be played with like a toy.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:16 PM

This car has to last me a good 6-7 years, so I don't think NOS is an option with the wear and tear.

The Tranny Cooler is a great idea, and I will now be doing that shortly.....I'm not too excited about the VB Mod, however, since the speed improvement doesn't seem to be much for the money, and my tranny is working excellent right now....It's one of the last things I'll do, probably.

Looks like Y-Pipe is the best answer so far...they are illegal, but no cops going to notice.

The other stuff in the above post -
LED washer nozzles - Illegal..know too many people that have been burned.

GTR badges - too "riceboy" and fake.

Clear bumper lights - Got em

Tornado air straigtener - Never heard of this...more info?

Large subwoofers - Didn't you read my Sig? I already have a $4500 system with fiber-optic wiring and all sorts of other cool toys.

Blue headlights - "Xenon" bulbs..got em.

20" rims - Too much weight...how does this help speed? I like the stock 16's well enough.

Sidemarker lights - don't like them.

Indiglo guages - On the way, in the mail...it's gonna kick as*.

Monster tach - What's the purpose?

"Tuned by Stillen" badge - Don't have any Stillen stuff....Stillen is too pricey anyway. (BOYCOT STILLEN)

5% tint - VERY Illegal....WA State cops are big on this.

5" exhaust tip - Maybe

Large spoiler - Riceboy, Riceboy, Riceboy.

Red vacuum hoses and wire looms - I think I'm going "all white" on my car. Will be doing this soon. Along with painted calipers.

Any kind of dash kit - Thinking about brushed Alum.

neon shift **** - Getting a nice Shift **** (Carbon Fiber/Chrome) from Dirksmoothe soon.

Besides, 90% of the things above don't involve speed....
Thanks for the info, guys...keep it coming!!!

What's a good non-Stillen Y-Pipe?
Old 08-07-2001, 10:01 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

nos kit with gauges and a CAI. Then get a tranny cooler and run a 50 shot until you get a VB, the run a 100shot and get a open exhaust.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:06 PM
dOpe as fcuk

Headers

Originally posted by emax95

NOS and then probably headers.
who makes headers for the max and how much they cost approx??

Old 08-07-2001, 10:24 PM

Re: Headers

Originally posted by dOpe as ****

company in new zealand, they are 600shipped plus like 8 hours of work to install them.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:24 PM

I've hear that a High-Flow Air Intake and a CAI are very close to each other in HP's.....is it worth getting a CAI?
Old 08-07-2001, 11:22 PM

where is everyone installing the Transmission Cooler? right behind the grille, in front of the radiator?
Old 08-07-2001, 11:27 PM

I've hear that a High-Flow Air Intake and a CAI are very close to each other in HP's.....is it worth getting a CAI?
First, that long post of rice crap, I believe was a joke. (Although I'm a proud ricer, that stuff doesn't help you get any faster as you're aware.)

Second, I'd like to see a complete list of the stereo equip you're running.

Third, Y-pipe, best mod there is, nobody cares if you have it.

Fourth, yeah, stay away from NOS then.

Fifth, CAI will give you a little more hp (1-3 if anything, depends on environmental conditions) but the High Flow carries higher through the power band, meaning it pulls harder in the higher RPM range keeping acceleration steady. Setup an OSCAI* with that, and it's golden.

*Ooglie (ugly) Stock Cold Air Intake. You leave that scoop thing on that attatches to the front of the engine bay and get some big tubing that goes down to the bottom front of the car and connect it to the botom half of the stock airbox and both the scooping and hose will help collect cooler air around the Hi-Flow filter. Or something like that. You're smart, you'll figure it out. I didn't do this because I had already removed all that stuff and didn't want to go to the trouble of putting it back in. I'm such a lazy ****.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:09 AM

Here ya go:

Sony CDX-910 Deck
Sony CDX-656 (I think?) 10 Disc CD Changer
Sony MD-65 Optical Minidisc Changer
Sony UDP-4000 DSP
1 Kicker Solobaric 10"
MB Quart Q Series 6.5" in rear lid
Focal KS165 6.5" Seperates (with 1" Tweet) in front
Fiberglass molded KickPanels

1 PPI PC4400 4x50 Amp - Rears and front tweets
1 PPI PC2300 2x75 Amp - Front Mids
1 PPI A600 Art Series (1x600) - Sub

Very nice theft proof speaker box/ amp rack.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:06 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Besides, 90% of the things above don't involve speed....
Thanks for the info, guys...keep it coming!!!

Um, yeah. That was all a joke.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by SithMax

Fourth, yeah, stay away from NOS then.
nos is good, what are you talking about.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:48 AM

I didn't say NOS wasn't good.

What I said was that it causes alot of wear and tear, and I need to keep this car for awhile.
Then there is also the safety risks involved if it is installed incorrectly, the refilling, and other such factors.

If I had a car I didn't care about owning in 6-8 years, and I knew someplace that installed it correctly 100% of the time, then I'd get NOS in a heartbeat.

I think it would also void my powertrain warranty.

Which brings to mind:
Will a Y-Pipe void the warranty?
Old 08-08-2001, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Dusky
where is everyone installing the Transmission Cooler? right behind the grille, in front of the radiator?
Here are some install instructions:

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/1999%20Nissan%20Maxima%20SE/Xmission%20Cooler.htm
Old 08-08-2001, 10:41 AM
Father of the 00 VI

I didn't say NOS wasn't good.

What I said was that it causes alot of wear and tear, and I need to keep this car for awhile.
Then there is also the safety risks involved if it is installed incorrectly, the refilling, and other such factors.

If I had a car I didn't care about owning in 6-8 years, and I knew someplace that installed it correctly 100% of the time, then I'd get NOS in a heartbeat.

I think it would also void my powertrain warranty.

Which brings to mind:
Will a Y-Pipe void the warranty?
The funny thing is my dealership said my warranty would be fine with whats on my car. But y pipe without a dought will void the warranty.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:52 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Re: Headers

Originally posted by dOpe as ****

Is there a dyno done yet with header ypipe combo.i think emax95.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:19 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Thanks,

didnt you say im a riceboy cause i started the Honda riceboy thread? welp, i guess Turbo isnt for you...itll cost more then 1k anyways.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:45 AM

Yes, I called you a Riceboy in jest....no need to take it seriously....I was completely f*cking with you.

Anyway, A Y-Pipe does not void the Engine or Powertrain warranty...it's part of the exhaust...it DOES Void the exhaust warranty, however, but Exhaust is usually one of the last things to go on a car. I'm not too worried about that.

There is a law which states that a company cannot void a complete warranty, only the systems involved with whatever was altered.

Moss Warranty Act or something like that.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:11 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

There is a law which states that a company cannot void a complete warranty, only the systems involved with whatever was altered.

Moss Warranty Act or something like that.
Yep.

Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act

Simply put, the dealer must prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem in question before the warranty can be denied. The mere presence of aftermarket parts does not void the warranty. This is also spelled out in your owner's manual.