4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95-99 Automatic Transmission Throttle Shock. What's happening?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 08:40 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Hey everyone, I was curious how many of you experience this:

Once the slushbox in my 99 is in overdrive, especially from 30 to 60 MPH, and while coasting, a LIGHT application of the accelerator and then removing your foot will cause a noticeable "jerk" from front to back. It's almost as if you are thrown back into your seat.

This is easily reproduced when going from 50 to 60 MPH in overdrive and simply going over a small hill, where you would just "tap" the accelerator a little bit to maintain speed. After that tap is when the front to back "jerk" can be felt.

I've performed a forum search, and only really found Shing in his 98 Maxima and another member with a 99 Maxima bring this up. However, no solutions were indicated. I have also discovered this TSB as well:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Service Bulletin Number: EC98032A
Bulletin Sequence Number: 732
Date of Bulletin: 9806
NHTSA Item Number: SB607329
Make: NISSAN
Model: MAXIMA
Year: 1999
Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC
Summary: AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OFF/ON THROTTLE SHOCK. *TT SOME VEHICLES WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A HESITATION OR AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OFF/ON THROTTLE SHOCK. *TT SOME VEHICLES WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A HESITATION OR THROTTLE SHOCK AFTER THE ACCELERATOR IS GENTLY APPLIED AND THEN RELEASED. THROTTLE SHOCK AFTER THE ACCELERATOR IS GENTLY APPLIED AND THEN RELEASED. *TT *TT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not occur when the overdrive is turned off. Power is readily available and smooth. My 94 Maxima slushbox does not exhibit this behavior at all.

I prefer to avoid the dealer to get this addressed and wondered if any procedures, etc. could help diagnose and fix this problem (i.e. adjust the Throttle Position Sensor, etc.)

Any ideas?
Old 08-10-2001, 08:49 AM

I have the same problem on my '99 GLE with 40K kms.

However I thought it was normal..the jerk isn't as harsh..but you can definately feel it. It even comes when O/D is off..but its less pronounced.

I told the dealer but they said it was normal.

Hope this somehow helps.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Once the slushbox in my 99 is in overdrive, especially from 30 to 60 MPH, and while coasting, a LIGHT application of the accelerator and then removing your foot will cause a noticeable "jerk" from front to back. It's almost as if you are thrown back into your seat.

This is easily reproduced when going from 50 to 60 MPH in overdrive and simply going over a small hill, where you would just "tap" the accelerator a little bit to maintain speed. After that tap is when the front to back "jerk" can be felt.

I've performed a forum search, and only really found Shing in his 98 Maxima and another member with a 99 Maxima bring this up. However, no solutions were indicated. I have also discovered this TSB as well:

Service Bulletin Number: EC98032A
Bulletin Sequence Number: 732
Date of Bulletin: 9806
NHTSA Item Number: SB607329
Make: NISSAN
Model: MAXIMA
Year: 1999
Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC
Summary: AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OFF/ON THROTTLE SHOCK. *TT SOME VEHICLES WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A HESITATION OR AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OFF/ON THROTTLE SHOCK. *TT SOME VEHICLES WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A HESITATION OR THROTTLE SHOCK AFTER THE ACCELERATOR IS GENTLY APPLIED AND THEN RELEASED. THROTTLE SHOCK AFTER THE ACCELERATOR IS GENTLY APPLIED AND THEN RELEASED. *TT *TT

This does not occur when the overdrive is turned off. Power is readily available and smooth. My 94 Maxima slushbox does not exhibit this behavior at all.

I prefer to avoid the dealer to get this addressed and wondered if any procedures, etc. could help diagnose and fix this problem (i.e. adjust the Throttle Position Sensor, etc.)

Any ideas?
I have the same problem. I am going to ask the dealer when I go in for the 30K service. Since this will be the last service before my 36 month warranty runs out, I am making a list of all such small things.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

dealerships?! dude, they avoid work...don't ask them!

My car does this when the OD is on...it is just how the tranny works; I don't think it's a problem, just that the tranny wants to stay in a higher gear if it can to save gas.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:23 AM

Not sure if this is the same thing, but...

only once in the morning will my car jerk. When I come to the stop light at the end of my neighborhood (about 0.6 miles) from my house. I stop then when I start to go again it's like I'm in neutral then in jerks hard into gear. I've learned to take it easy and it is a lot less harsh but it still happens. After the once in the morning it doesn't do it again all day.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Throttle Shock

I have experienced the same thing in my 97 autotragic with 68k miles... I was always hoping that there wasn't anything wrong with my tranny, and I suppose this is my answer. I always thought that I was applying too much throttle and the jerk was from the tranny slipping quickly back into 3rd and dropping back into 4th. I guess I was mistaken. Please keep this thread going, its quite informative.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:35 AM

Re: Not sure if this is the same thing, but...

Originally posted by GaMax97GLE
only once in the morning will my car jerk. When I come to the stop light at the end of my neighborhood (about 0.6 miles) from my house. I stop then when I start to go again it's like I'm in neutral then in jerks hard into gear. I've learned to take it easy and it is a lot less harsh but it still happens. After the once in the morning it doesn't do it again all day.

This isn't really shift shock but rather lousy shift logic. I bet you don't completely stop at the stop light huh? If you don't completely stop, the transmission won't downshift to first, so when you accelerate away, you will be doing so in 2nd or 3rd gear and it will feel like you are in neutral. And as we've all experienced now, the 2-1 shift will SLAM into gear. Oh well if we wanted smooth shifts we should have bought a Toyota!
Old 08-10-2001, 11:40 AM

Re: Re: Not sure if this is the same thing, but...

Originally posted by Eric L.

This isn't really shift shock but rather lousy shift logic. I bet you don't completely stop at the stop light huh? If you don't completely stop, the transmission won't downshift to first, so when you accelerate away, you will be doing so in 2nd or 3rd gear and it will feel like you are in neutral. And as we've all experienced now, the 2-1 shift will SLAM into gear. Oh well if we wanted smooth shifts we should have bought a Toyota!
I posted last week about a related problem I had with my auto tranny, and I'm beginning to think that it boils down to the shift logic and its extreme desire for fuel economy.

My symptom was that if I let off the gas at ~30-35 mph, the engine drops to idle, then when I resume accelerating, there's a pause while the engine revs to the right level and pops into gear. I had thought that a complete AT fluid flush had solved the "problem", but after a week, I've noticed that it kind of comes and goes depending on the conditions (weather, uphill/downhill, temperature). Now I'm thinking that it's just a quirk of the transmission programming. On light throttle, it wants to be in as a high a gear as possible for reduced fuel consumption. At 30-35 mph, it's actually in overdrive if you're just cruising!

Interestingly enough, the tranny seems to be a lot smoother if you really push it. The lesson here is that if you want the car to shift smoothly, you gotta haul a$$!
Old 08-10-2001, 12:08 PM

Re: Re: Not sure if this is the same thing, but...

Guilty! I don't completely stop. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:44 PM
mk dema

I also have the same problem with my 98 auto. If you're traveling at around 35 or so and let go of the gas completely, and then tap the pedal a bit, you can feel a small jerk. It's nothing severe but it's definetly there, I've driven other 4th gen maximas and as far as I can remember, they've all had that same thing happen.

Old 08-10-2001, 12:45 PM

Any ideas?
Can you discern whether this shock is a harsh D4-D3 downshift or D3-D4 upshift? Or does the tranny stay in D4 the whole while?
Old 08-10-2001, 01:07 PM

As I understand it the reason it only happens in OD is because that's the torque convertor locking/unlocking. I have no clue on earth what that exactly means though.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Can you discern whether this shock is a harsh D4-D3 downshift or D3-D4 upshift? Or does the tranny stay in D4 the whole while?
Tranny is in D4 the whole time. It's really noticeable on a "light tap" of the accelerator. At the same speeds and conditions in D3, my power delivery is smooth as it should be.

Eric,

I don't equate this to a "tranny logic" issue. I believe it to be more mechanically oriented rather than computer oriented in nature. I also hate the dreaded 2 to 1 downshift (or lack thereof), but it's easy to tell that is a logic issue. I'm not so certain about this one.

I appreciate all the feedback guys, keep it up!

I fear the dealer may have to be relied upon for this one. Whoever had the dealer tell them this is normal (which it's not) is typical of them because they probably don't stand to make any money on it.......
Old 08-10-2001, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
As I understand it the reason it only happens in OD is because that's the torque convertor locking/unlocking. I have no clue on earth what that exactly means though.
OD OFF limits the tranny to speeds 1,2, and 3. With OD OFF there is no D3-D4 upshift, no D4-D3 downshift, and no torque converter lockup. That's why I asked Bill99GXE if his trans stays in 4th gear the whole while.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

lock-up torque converter

It's the lock-up torque converter. It is locking the tranny into the torque converter to obtain better gas milage by becoming more effecient by letteint the engine transfer power a lot easier to the wheels. Play around with it, when doing 60 or so, let the engine lock into the converter and slowly press the gas, the rpm's do not rise, but the car accelerates. Then if you press the gas a little harder, it'll unlock and the rpms will raise ~ 200rpms abrupbtly when the throttle is depressed to catch-up with the gears, and then accelerate. It's jus like when you're going ~60, w/ od off, and tap the gas a few times, the rpm's raise really fasr for ~200rpms, the hte car accelerates, but it has to gain those 200 rpms b4 it does so.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:27 PM

driveline lash

It does the same thing in the 5 spd. Maybe it is the drive train not just the transmission. Maybe it is just the engine.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:38 PM

... Tranny is in D4 the whole time. It's really noticeable on a "light tap" of the accelerator. At the same speeds and conditions in D3, my power delivery is smooth as it should be. ...
The Spotlight Of Suspicion falls on the torque converter lockup clutch and the controls which activate it.

The closest item I could find in the '99 Maxima factory service manual A/T Symptom Chart is "Gear change shock felt during deceleration by releasing accelerator pedal."
The Check Items, in order, are ...
1) Throttle Position Sensor (adjustment)
2) Line pressure
3) Overrun clutch solenoid valve
4) Control valve assembly
Old 08-10-2001, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The Spotlight Of Suspicion falls on the torque converter lockup clutch and the controls which activate it.

The closest item I could find in the '99 Maxima factory service manual A/T Symptom Chart is "Gear change shock felt during deceleration by releasing accelerator pedal."
The Check Items, in order, are ...
1) Throttle Position Sensor (adjustment)
2) Line pressure
3) Overrun clutch solenoid valve
4) Control valve assembly
Daniel,

I'm willing to try #1. In my initial search before posting (a novel and rare concept), I came across this suggestion of yours on adjusting the TPS:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ock#post220904

I have the Haynes manual (not the FSM at this point), so I'll give that a shot over the weekend unless you have any other suggestions.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:55 PM

Eric,

I don't equate this to a "tranny logic" issue. I believe it to be more mechanically oriented rather than computer oriented in nature. I also hate the dreaded 2 to 1 downshift (or lack thereof), but it's easy to tell that is a logic issue. I'm not so certain about this one.

I know....I wasn't trying to say that the shift shock you describe is because of the shift logic. I was merely trying to answer that post regarding lazy shifting when accelerating from the stop sign. I think that is a bigger peeve for me than the fore-aft motion you describe (I have felt that too, at around 35MPH on very very light acceleration...it actually rocks the car front/back more than once).
Old 08-10-2001, 02:00 PM

I know....I wasn't trying to say that the shift shock you describe is because of the shift logic. I was merely trying to answer that post regarding lazy shifting when accelerating from the stop sign. I think that is a bigger peeve for me than the fore-aft motion you describe (I have felt that too, at around 35MPH on very very light acceleration...it actually rocks the car front/back more than once).
Yep, that's what I'm talking about........if my 94 did it (it is a different slushbox), I would just say "It's a Nissan thing"......

The lazy shifting is irritating, but I've mentally compensated for that in my driving habits when stopping, etc....
Old 08-10-2001, 02:08 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Yup, same thing here, more so with the Auto Climate Control on, A/C compressor running. More load on the engine.
Just teach yourself to be smoooooth yehaaaa

Later boys............
Old 08-11-2001, 06:54 PM

Is there anything we can do about this tranny problem? Can't we talk straight to Nissan (not the dealers..but the corporate office) and tell them about the problem and hope that they can rectify it?

We can send them the link to this thread also.

Maybe we can get a petition going?
Old 08-12-2001, 02:25 AM

i would have to agree

as my 97 I30 behaves in the same manner. The stop sign thing is especially annoying, as this doesnt happen in my 3.2tl and I can get up to speed faster. i also experience this in parking lots, when coming to the end of a row and going to the next, sometimes i simply manually downshift into 1 and the car jerks into 1st, but the acceleration is far better than starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear. overall, i feel the tranny is quite poor in this car compared to other makes. the 2000's dont seem to behave this way, but they seemed to have a huge problem with teh TCM delaying shifting from 1st to 2nd...when I experienced this first-hand on a loaner I30, it didnt seem to bother me as much as the behavior my car exibits and no moves were made on this (which is quite disappointing).
Old 08-12-2001, 06:26 AM
Kevlo for President

my 97 max does the same thing
Old 09-28-2001, 01:02 PM
Maxima Princess

Hey can this be made into a sticky? Very imformative thread.

oh and my car does the same thing.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:12 PM

Sarah,

I still like the TPS adjustment that Daniel suggested but simply haven't had the time to try that out. A TSB confirms this through Nissan, but I know of no one who has had this successfully diagnosed and treated through our beloved Nissan Service Department.

I would make it sticky material if we could resolve it.....
Old 09-28-2001, 01:44 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Our cars have some form of A.I. The ECU is 'shocked' to find out that the car is an auto, and is retaliating.
Old 09-28-2001, 02:57 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Mine does it too...
Old 09-28-2001, 07:08 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

whew..

... And I thought I was alone. My Max does this too. I was scared it's the tranny but I've been observing the RPMs and trying to get a feel for the shifts. The tranny is in 1st gear and the hesitation/shock does not happen between the 1-2 shift as the tranny hasn't shifted yet. When you nail it or give slightly harder throttle the car does not do this. I never knew the O/D had anything to do with that. I don't even have to let the accelerator go to get this shock, simply apply it gently and keep it in 1 position and the car jerks... damn.
Old 09-28-2001, 08:37 PM

I'll join the gang, mine does it too. 99GLE with 40000km
Old 10-07-2001, 04:22 PM

97 GXE Auto. 50K miles. Same problem. Most noticible when you are in overdrive in lower RPM ranges 1400-1700 RPM for me (where a quick push on the gas would cause a kick out of OD or possibly a downshift). It also happens at higher speeds but most noticible in top gear. I also have a 95 Maxima SE that does this but it isn't as bad. (it's nice having 2 to check back-to-back)

I'm taking the '97 in tomorrow.

I have a fairly good dealership and will take the TSB with me.

If they've never heard of it or treated the TSB listed here, I'm going home right away. No use wasting 5 hours/$65hr chasing something a good or enlightened mechanic hasn't worked on before.

I find a lot of dealerships get the TSBs but very few seem to have mechanics that regularly read them and know most or all of them and could recognize a symptom and tie it to a TSB type of problem.
Old 10-07-2001, 07:58 PM

Well it happens to me too in my 97 with 50k. I am just glad to know my tranny isn't going to go out on me any day now since I know everyone has the problem.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:00 PM

autotragic

I have a 95se and it does the same thing but it is most noticiable when the car is cold. Does the Mobiltek VB upgrade affect this at all?
Old 10-07-2001, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by NickStam
Our cars have some form of A.I. The ECU is 'shocked' to find out that the car is an auto, and is retaliating.
You're a fvcking m0r0n. That's appropriate because your comments are irrelevant and a waste of space.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:50 AM

Stopping and 2 to 1

I was wondering if as I stop at a stop sign and the auto tryies it's hardest to stay in second was a problem. It seems like it is on the verge of stalling (more pronounced to me I guess because I used to drive a stick).
I guess it is just part of the auto transmission. Now I always come to a complete stop just so the car won't vibrate and and have crappy downshifts.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:00 AM

It is called a Joke......

Originally posted by Maximus97SE

You're a fvcking m0r0n. That's appropriate because your comments are irrelevant and a waste of space.
Take it Easy, Nick was just joking. You don't have to take it so personal. Looks like someone is having a "Case of the Mondays"(j/k)
Old 10-08-2001, 10:19 AM

Well, no luck at the dealer, today, sorry guys and gals.

My best description of the problem is: When in top gear and OD, while coasting (best is 35-45), if you apply the gas lightly, you'll feel a shift jerk as if the transmission is downshifting out of OD (or probably lock-up) and immediately back in - within a fraction of a second.

And when I looked up the TSB listed earlier in this thread from the NHSTA database on www.alldatadiy.com, suspiciously, I find no mention of TSB 98032A (or 98032). Seems like a Red Herring.

Unfortunately, NHTSA's site doesn't have any kind of drilldown on the actual manufacturers data either.

(the site search for www.nhtsa.gov)

I also clicked through EVERY TSB listed on www.alldatadiy.com and found one interesting one (Daniel B. Martin - your comments welcome).

NTB97-028 - affecting 95 & later Maxima (A32) (and *MANY* other models including Pathfinder, Sentra, Altima, Quest).

(what drew me to these is it shows ALL 4th gen whereas others showed only certain years - I noted many people reported this with 1999 Maximas in this thread)

Since this is copyrighted material, I can't post it here but I'll give an overall synopsis.

It basically deals with the computer having trouble codes P0731, P0732, P0733 stored and mentions "with no drivability incidents..." like "Shift Shock". Our case (typically) is no trouble codes *WITH* drivability incidents but it was the closest I saw.

(my quickie dealer visit today and hookup to the computer for the 97 GXE showed no trouble codes FYI)

NTB97-028 seems to say that there's some problem in the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) - read on - under closed throttle while "coasting".

With these "coasting" conditions, the ATCU (Auto Trans Control Unit) is reading an *INCREASING* voltage from the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) combined with the "Closed Throttle Switch" showing "ON". The ATCU "thinks" the vehicle is accelerating (TPS increase in voltage which is probably the defect) when in fact the vehicle is DE-celerating (since the Closed Throttle Switch being "ON" means your foot is off the accelerator).

The TSB says when the TPS measures > 1.0 volt (closed throttle & vehicle decelerating), the ATCU records a trouble code if the vehicle speed doesn't increase within 3 seconds.

It goes over diagnostic tests to monitor the voltages of the TPS, Closed Throttle Switch setting and the vehicle speed, etc.

The bulletin shows a set of example recordings in a specific vehicle test exhibiting the problem which is:
- Actual vehicle SPEED slowing down (foot off gas)
- TPS voltage going UP

The trouble codes are a Red Herring. The more important thing here isn't the 3 seconds or the trouble code thrown or not, but the fact that the TPS seems to be showing 'acceleration mode' when the car is slowing down.

Yes, the trouble codes are bad and the TPS is bad but what else does this influence and what other drivability symptoms could this cause (the throttle shock "coasting" that we all know and love?) This is where the TSB falls flat.

The TSB 97028 DOES at least finger the TPS at "idle conditions" (meaning coasting??? and/or at a stop light??) and mentions replacement with part 22620-31U15 (1995 and later) - which it doesn't say is "newer" or better. It requires readjustment of TPS and IPS (Idle Position Sensor) too.

https://secure.formysite.com/nissana....com/database/
22620-31U15 THROTTLE+P $124.70

Another source (dated 4/2000)
http://www.niehoff.com

http://www.niehoff.com/pdf/NieEmission.pdf

Their part number for the TPS:
1995 Nissan Maxima (CA) To 4/95
FE40135 (22620-31U15) List $74.38
1995 Nissan Maxima from 4/95 w/at)
FE40136 (22620-31U16) List $76.92

Another good one - good ol' AutoZone (www.autozone.com)
TP742 - 22620-31U15 List $54
TP741 - 22620-31U16 List $49

http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com

Just so happens the AutoZone part is a Wells Manufacturing part. When you open the box, it's actually an OEM Nissan part.

An OEM Nissan part in a Wells box. I asked the Wells Mfg rep who talked to Nissan and more or less confirmed this TPS "does too much" which is why it's easily out of adjustment - it's a TPS, Wide Open Throttle, Closed Throttle - all in one part.

My 1995 SE isn't throwing trouble codes mentioned in the TSB though the behavior of the TPS sending the wrong voltage to the ATCU - when you lift your foot off the gas in high gear - *MIGHT* be happening and (I'm guessing) causing the "shift-shock". I have no way to confirm it without replacing the TPS or having a tech hooking it up and checking out the TPS voltage while driving down the highway. But it's the only TSB that mentions watching a "coasting behavior".

The Overrun Clutch Solenoid Valve than Daniel talked about is activated by the of A/T Control Unit which itself takes its signal from the TPS (and other sensors) so this might be how the ATCU, based on bad input, "tells" the transmission to shift (downshift, lockup, etc) when it shouldn't...

The nhsta database shows one TSB from Nissan that noone can find that mentions the Throttle Shock NTB9811A. Someone on alt.autos.nissan.maxima said they actually SAW this at a dealership.

If anyone gets their TPS changed by a dealer (with the P/N listed above) and gets better behavior, please post. I might do this too if I get sick of it enough.

The good news is this is a more or less electro-mechanical part (potentiometer) which means the software in the ATCU and the ECU might still not be at fault and the car might work correctly once the "good" TPS is installed and adjusted...
Old 10-08-2001, 10:24 AM

Mine does it too. I have a 99 SE with 28K miles on it. I have gotten the 30K service done since I will run out of the 36K warranty soon. I had a print out of all the TSBs that I thought my car was exhibiting symptoms of. The dealer discounted all (including this shock problem) but replaced my rear brake lines and springs under warranty.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:18 PM

a year later...

Originally posted by StephenD
Well, no luck at the dealer, today, sorry guys and gals.

My best description of the problem is: When in top gear and OD, while coasting (best is 35-45), if you apply the gas lightly, you'll feel a shift jerk as if the transmission is downshifting out of OD (or probably lock-up) and immediately back in - within a fraction of a second.

And when I looked up the TSB listed earlier in this thread from the NHSTA database on www.alldatadiy.com, suspiciously, I find no mention of TSB 98032A (or 98032). Seems like a Red Herring.

Unfortunately, NHTSA's site doesn't have any kind of drilldown on the actual manufacturers data either.

(the site search for www.nhtsa.gov)

I also clicked through EVERY TSB listed on www.alldatadiy.com and found one interesting one (Daniel B. Martin - your comments welcome).

NTB97-028 - affecting 95 & later Maxima (A32) (and *MANY* other models including Pathfinder, Sentra, Altima, Quest).

(what drew me to these is it shows ALL 4th gen whereas others showed only certain years - I noted many people reported this with 1999 Maximas in this thread)

Since this is copyrighted material, I can't post it here but I'll give an overall synopsis.

It basically deals with the computer having trouble codes P0731, P0732, P0733 stored and mentions "with no drivability incidents..." like "Shift Shock". Our case (typically) is no trouble codes *WITH* drivability incidents but it was the closest I saw.

(my quickie dealer visit today and hookup to the computer for the 97 GXE showed no trouble codes FYI)

NTB97-028 seems to say that there's some problem in the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) - read on - under closed throttle while "coasting".

With these "coasting" conditions, the ATCU (Auto Trans Control Unit) is reading an *INCREASING* voltage from the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) combined with the "Closed Throttle Switch" showing "ON". The ATCU "thinks" the vehicle is accelerating (TPS increase in voltage which is probably the defect) when in fact the vehicle is DE-celerating (since the Closed Throttle Switch being "ON" means your foot is off the accelerator).

The TSB says when the TPS measures > 1.0 volt (closed throttle & vehicle decelerating), the ATCU records a trouble code if the vehicle speed doesn't increase within 3 seconds.

It goes over diagnostic tests to monitor the voltages of the TPS, Closed Throttle Switch setting and the vehicle speed, etc.

The bulletin shows a set of example recordings in a specific vehicle test exhibiting the problem which is:
- Actual vehicle SPEED slowing down (foot off gas)
- TPS voltage going UP

The trouble codes are a Red Herring. The more important thing here isn't the 3 seconds or the trouble code thrown or not, but the fact that the TPS seems to be showing 'acceleration mode' when the car is slowing down.

Yes, the trouble codes are bad and the TPS is bad but what else does this influence and what other drivability symptoms could this cause (the throttle shock "coasting" that we all know and love?) This is where the TSB falls flat.

The TSB 97028 DOES at least finger the TPS at "idle conditions" (meaning coasting??? and/or at a stop light??) and mentions replacement with part 22620-31U15 (1995 and later) - which it doesn't say is "newer" or better. It requires readjustment of TPS and IPS (Idle Position Sensor) too.

https://secure.formysite.com/nissana....com/database/
22620-31U15 THROTTLE+P $124.70

Another source (dated 4/2000)
http://www.niehoff.com

http://www.niehoff.com/pdf/NieEmission.pdf

Their part number for the TPS:
1995 Nissan Maxima (CA) To 4/95
FE40135 (22620-31U15) List $74.38
1995 Nissan Maxima from 4/95 w/at)
FE40136 (22620-31U16) List $76.92

Another good one - good ol' AutoZone (www.autozone.com)
TP742 - 22620-31U15 List $54
TP741 - 22620-31U16 List $49

http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com

Just so happens the AutoZone part is a Wells Manufacturing part. When you open the box, it's actually an OEM Nissan part.

An OEM Nissan part in a Wells box. I asked the Wells Mfg rep who talked to Nissan and more or less confirmed this TPS "does too much" which is why it's easily out of adjustment - it's a TPS, Wide Open Throttle, Closed Throttle - all in one part.

My 1995 SE isn't throwing trouble codes mentioned in the TSB though the behavior of the TPS sending the wrong voltage to the ATCU - when you lift your foot off the gas in high gear - *MIGHT* be happening and (I'm guessing) causing the "shift-shock". I have no way to confirm it without replacing the TPS or having a tech hooking it up and checking out the TPS voltage while driving down the highway. But it's the only TSB that mentions watching a "coasting behavior".

The Overrun Clutch Solenoid Valve than Daniel talked about is activated by the of A/T Control Unit which itself takes its signal from the TPS (and other sensors) so this might be how the ATCU, based on bad input, "tells" the transmission to shift (downshift, lockup, etc) when it shouldn't...

The nhsta database shows one TSB from Nissan that noone can find that mentions the Throttle Shock NTB9811A. Someone on alt.autos.nissan.maxima said they actually SAW this at a dealership.

If anyone gets their TPS changed by a dealer (with the P/N listed above) and gets better behavior, please post. I might do this too if I get sick of it enough.

The good news is this is a more or less electro-mechanical part (potentiometer) which means the software in the ATCU and the ECU might still not be at fault and the car might work correctly once the "good" TPS is installed and adjusted...
DID ANYTHING HAPPEN ON THIS ONE?
DID ANYONE TRY TO SWAP THEIR TPS?

thanks,
FLO_BOY
Old 10-28-2002, 01:31 PM

Bill, this also happens if you tap the throttle from a stop.

Quick Reply: 95-99 Automatic Transmission Throttle Shock. What's happening?