4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gutting the cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 01:47 AM
XtremeHKS

All you people out there that have gutted your cats but dont have a y-pipe but have gutted your cats how do your maximas sound? I am kinda of worried about if it will sound like a honda or something

Old 08-11-2001, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by XtremeHKS
All you people out there that have gutted your cats but dont have a y-pipe but have gutted your cats how do your maximas sound? I am kinda of worried about if it will sound like a honda or something
Don't gut the Cat. Doing that is bad for the environment. It is illegal. The performance gain is negligible.
Old 08-11-2001, 04:52 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Bad Idea
Old 08-11-2001, 07:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NickStam

Bad Idea
i'd never do something like that
Old 08-11-2001, 11:39 AM

Don't do it, get a random tech cat if you want more performance, but either way performance is neglible...
Old 08-11-2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Gotrice4
Don't do it, get a random tech cat if you want more performance, but either way performance is neglible...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
it is kinda dumb cause (not that i care) but it is hard on the enviroment (sorta) and you dont get any hp outa it so its pointless. get forced enduction instead.....
dan
Old 08-11-2001, 12:43 PM

I agree, don't do it! Plus, I think it will give you that really bad smell. I got the RT cat oppose to gutting the cat or straight pipe. I noticed a slight improvement in power with the RT cat. I think it's worth it, costed me less than $200.
Old 08-11-2001, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by sx7r

Naaaaa Aaahhhh, not you!! Why would any body want to do that.

Smell is neglagable during cold start up, once your warm'd up its gone.

I bet that a 4th gen in propper running order with out a cat will produce less emissions than a one of those freakin maga SUV's, simply because of gas milage. So IMHO it aint that freakin big of a deal.

My oak tree needs some hugging if any one is interested?
Old 08-11-2001, 03:26 PM

Hrm.

If the performance from gutting the cat is negligible, is there a decent performance gain from replacing it with a straight pipe? I was told that it was a big difference. Other than being illegal, and making my car a smog-mobile, what're the gains like?
Old 08-11-2001, 04:27 PM
XtremeHKS

Re: Hrm.

Originally posted by ereet
If the performance from gutting the cat is negligible, is there a decent performance gain from replacing it with a straight pipe? I was told that it was a big difference. Other than being illegal, and making my car a smog-mobile, what're the gains like?
Another thing I forgot to mention is well doesen't NOS ruin your cats? I just installed my Nitrous last night. And i heard that NOS will mess up your cats

Old 08-11-2001, 04:32 PM

Don't do it. My friend did that before and he didn't feel any performance gain and it made the exhaust smell really really bad.
Old 08-11-2001, 04:42 PM

Re: Re: Hrm.

Another thing I forgot to mention is well doesen't NOS ruin your cats? I just installed my Nitrous last night. And i heard that NOS will mess up your cats
Well..i have been running on my OEM cat. I lost that damn R/T cat... yes i lost it..have no idea where it went but it hasnt fouled out my cat yet. If you have a proper workin NOS system w/ a small shot you shouldnt foul it out. A test pipe would be the best idea. $40-60 for a test pipe.. just gotta find someone who will make it for yah.
Old 08-11-2001, 08:39 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Hollowing out my cat gave my exhaust a not so "clean" sound, smells like a 80's dodge and was a little louder, and revs a tad quicker........ i will be getting a free flow cat soon instead.....
Old 08-11-2001, 08:54 PM

If your cheep like me go with no cat. I'm sure you'll get at least the same results as you would with a RT cat, but for alot less money.

But if your car is just a show mobile and the smell of power bothers you dont do it. I prefer go over show. I like the smell, you should haved smelled it when I ran a little race gas in it, DAM IT SMELL'D SWEET!!!

After all, its a freakin car and your suping it up, WTF is a little smelly exhaust? Ever been to a race track

Tell ya what dont get the RT either just get some Altezza's, their worth way more HP anyway
Old 08-12-2001, 01:27 AM

I did it and had to get a smog test and i just wasted money on it... also it makes a poping sound when you let go of the gas... it's all up to you... the acceleration seemed slower... rmp seemed a little lower on the high way...
Old 08-12-2001, 08:41 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by sx7r

i would never do that either. hehe. getting a rt cat is the BIGGEST waste of money ever. the honeycomb inside the cat is what is restrictive. rip that sucker out and gutt the hell out of it. i have y-pipe, gutted cat, and stock catback and it sound mean. not honda at all. it smells though, i can't smell it but people behind me can. it's a tailgating deterant.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

My oak tree needs some hugging if any one is interested?
YES, i hug trees.

nitrous won't foul your cat unless you are running real rich. but the thing to watch out for is that if you are going to run a something bigger than a 60 or 70 shot, you might blow the bricks out of the cat because there is so much back pressure when you are on the bottle. but if that happens, it saves you the trouble of gutting it yourself. so spray away.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:12 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

my cat would be gone by now anyway. I'm running rich right now at my 60 shot but i've ordered the different jets and the 100shot jets and stuff. hopefully i can get my 100shot fp to around the 85 it should be i'll have to experiment with the jets. And i have some trees that need some loving in my yard. i'm so mean to them. any takers.....
Old 08-12-2001, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by I30CeFiRo
Don't do it. My friend did that before and he didn't feel any performance gain and it made the exhaust smell really really bad.
Hey I30Cefiro, Damn buddy your car is like a ****in wet dream. The car just looks sweet. I especially like the rims, but I'm biased cuz I have the same ones on my ride except there 17" and silver. Keep up the good work.

Later,
Kevin