4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Neon Light installation instructions, anyone have them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 09:37 PM
Sunrise

Can anyone help me out, I am thinking about installing neons in my trunk ( I was thinking of splicing into the trunk bulb wire).

Also, how did you guys install neons in your footwells? where did you splice into?

Can I get zapped if I mess up?

Also, where do you guys think is the best place to splice into if I want to put in a hood light? clearance lamps?

Old 08-11-2001, 10:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Usually, it's: red=power, black=ground

On the neon, the black wire=power, black wire with white strip=negative... at least that what I used.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:11 AM

Not that hard actually...

Just go get some 15" neons. it may or may not come with the 12v cig lighter adapter. You have a few options. If the adapter is present, you could hardwire a multi-outlet unit and hide that under the dash also (this is what I did since I didnt feel like adding a switch in line, and instead, use the switches that came mounted onto the adapter). To hardwire anyway, you need to remove the center console, and get to the back of the cig lighter...it took me about 30 mins to do all this. Just remove the wires from the back of the lighter holder, strip, and splice the new wires to it. So from here, you can add a switch in-line (if you decide not to keep the adapter plugs). or just do what i did above. I didnt bother messing around with the other wires down there under the dash as most use multiple colors and its hard to figure out which is hot with ignition and on, etc. without a repair manual. good luck
Old 08-12-2001, 06:51 AM

yeah, its easy

its real easy to just pull that console piece that the cig. lighter sits in, out. Then just tap the wires on the back of it - then your neons come on only when your key is on..

here is my dilemma, I have a 3 position switch... I wanted one to be OFF one to be ON WHEN CIG LIGHT IS ON(key isin) and one to be ON WHEN DOORS ARE OPEN... my problem is this.. the 3rd part, on when doors are open doesn't work - I traced the wires in my door light and spent a lot of time doing all the wiring correct.. when I tried it, the neons stay on all the time. I finally found out why - the door light always gets + juice, but it's not grounded until the door is opened... figure that one out!! So anyways, that means the positive signal is always there, so my neon is always on when the switch is in that position... boooo

goodluck with yours - go 10" under the dash's, anymore is too bright (that is what I decided and so I dropped to 10's) - I'll try and take pics.
Old 08-12-2001, 12:00 PM
RPalka

I am new to the whole neon light thing. How much are the 10" lights? I am not sure if I am going to do this project myself since this is what I want done:

10" neons under steering wheel, glove box and both front seats controlled by a switch that would lie right near my dimmer switch on my dash. How much am I looking to spend for all of that?

Thanks
RJP

Old 08-12-2001, 01:33 PM

If you're not picky about the brand of neons, you can probably get some 10" neons from Ebay. Prices vary obviously if you get them from Ebay.

As for the switch, I got a switch from Radio Shack, a small toggle switch that cost me about $3.

And everything is easy to hook up in the 4th gen. What you are suggesting is easily do-able if you just take your time.

Attached is a pic of the switch and the neon it controls.

Originally posted by RPalka
I am new to the whole neon light thing. How much are the 10" lights? I am not sure if I am going to do this project myself since this is what I want done:

10" neons under steering wheel, glove box and both front seats controlled by a switch that would lie right near my dimmer switch on my dash. How much am I looking to spend for all of that?

Thanks
RJP
Old 08-12-2001, 01:37 PM

A sorta closeup of the switch.
Old 08-12-2001, 01:47 PM

Or... if you feel like burning a hole in your pocket, you can be like me and special order switches.

These two switches cost me $30 because I had to special order them from R & S Strauss and I had to wait nearly two weeks for them to get it. But on the plus side, they fit real well.

One of them is to turn on the blacklights in the front footwells and the other one is to turn on the LED nozzle lights on my hood.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:30 AM

I'll take pics of mine, I swear you'll like it.. I think its more subtle then the two that have been posted so far... actually my neons switch is almost hidden, in a project box between my seet and the center console, but my subs switch is in the coin holders.. I'll post pics later when I get off today..

btw, be picky about what kind of neons you get... get streetglow, and I can hook you up at $25 (not from me, from a guy I know who owns a retail store) a piece for the 10".. I dont think you'll find a better price.. but check around, you never know.

If I were you, just run 1 under the driver side dash, and 1 under pass. dash.. they are very bright and light up the whole footwell area very well... it's not like waay overdone where people are like damn is that neons all over your car, but people alwaaays tell me they look nice... not ricey... I dont know what your style is though.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:38 AM
www.autotalk.com

Originally posted by hlh0501
I'll take pics of mine, I swear you'll like it.. I think its more subtle then the two that have been posted so far... actually my neons switch is almost hidden, in a project box between my seet and the center console, but my subs switch is in the coin holders.. I'll post pics later when I get off today..

btw, be picky about what kind of neons you get... get streetglow, and I can hook you up at $25 (not from me, from a guy I know who owns a retail store) a piece for the 10$.. I dont think you'll find a better price.. but check around, you never know.

If I were you, just run 1 under the driver side dash, and 1 under pass. dash.. they are very bright and light up the whole footwell area very well... it's not like waay overdone where people are like damn is that neons all over your car, but people alwaaays tell me they look nice... not ricey... I dont know what your style is though.
hey dude.. can you get liteglow or streetglow for the underbody kit?? tell me if you can hook me up ..
Old 08-13-2001, 12:46 PM

I dont know if its a good price, but I can get Streetglow's gold kit in any color or whatever for I think 170$ from the guy I know.. that is warrantied too (unlike ebay and those other guys... regardless of what they say) b/c it is from a retail shop. I don't know if that is a good price (it's a friend of mines shop and he usually has verry good prices..), my guess is it is, but check around - let me know if you want to order

Ill check on the liteglow pro kit...
Old 08-13-2001, 01:18 PM

neons

I want to get 2 10" Neons for the footwells but I can't find a descent price for them. Streetglow was having a sale and they had them for $60CA each!!
I don't want to order off the net, Does anyone know who sells them in the Toronto area?

also, how bright are the 10"? will they only light up the footwells or will the whole car be lit up?
Old 08-13-2001, 01:30 PM
www.autotalk.com

I thought street glow makes GOLD series? and lite glow makes PROseries. any ways can u get the price for lite glow too?
Old 08-13-2001, 01:31 PM

They will light up the footwells only, but perfectly for my taste.. you cant see them from outside, unless the door is open or your standing beside the car or something

they look awesome!

25$ for 10" streetglows (not from me) from a retail store in NC... I can hook ya up if you want. its a good price, the guy is cool... I am in Louisville, ky but know the owner...
Old 08-13-2001, 04:42 PM

i know pacific mall iN toronto

has all the shiet to get u started on those lights
i believe most of them actually come with a cig adapter so u can just plug em in

What i used was these thing cylinder like things tha shoot a blue led. i put a pair on my bose deck
and one at the passenger leg area and the other on the driver area
i stuck them on the panels around the center console way at the back so ppl cant kick them
u can adjust the light also

i paid 40 canadian thats 25 american for a pair .
Old 08-13-2001, 06:04 PM

that's cool

Originally posted by hlh0501
They will light up the footwells only, but perfectly for my taste.. you cant see them from outside, unless the door is open or your standing beside the car or something

they look awesome!

25$ for 10" streetglows (not from me) from a retail store in NC... I can hook ya up if you want. its a good price, the guy is cool... I am in Louisville, ky but know the owner...
That's a good price for them.

I am gonna check out the mall here in Toronto.
Drop me an e-mail so I can get some more info from you about this! and how you want to work it out.
Thanks!
Old 08-13-2001, 06:06 PM

how do you attatch them?

How are the Neons attatched in the footwells? are they glued or did you drill something to attatch them to the plastic?
Elaborate on this please! I am dying to get those!
Old 08-13-2001, 06:08 PM

these are imposssssible to get a pic of, this looks TERRIBLE compared to in real life, but its the best I could do, even with a 500$ camera haha..

once again I apologize, this pic does NO justice to them haha..
Old 08-13-2001, 06:12 PM

attaching

I attached mine by using black ziptie things, and I would screw one side into the plastic up in the foot well if that makes sense.. so one side is on ziptie and the other screwed.. did that b/c that is how it had to go to fit up in there.. not too hard to do -

as far as contact, I'll talk to the guy who owns the place tommorow and get the deal rolling - let me know what you want so I can tell him.