4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My overdirve driving me nuts......

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 09:37 PM

Preveosly I had a post about my overdrive button problems but never got a good response about it. Some days when I start my car I get overdrive blinks couple of times. Yesterday when I tried using it, it seems like no response from my od button. Someone told me to use the diagnostics but wasnt clear how this will resolve my problem. I am new at this please give me more detail info. Thanks in advance.

BTW somedays my cruse control blinking and not working at all. Please heeeeeeellllllppp........
Old 08-12-2001, 06:36 AM
Kevlo for President

Bump

sorry can't help u so i just put it back to the top
Old 08-12-2001, 08:27 AM

Go get the Haynes manual, it has the trouble codes for the transmission computer on it. Your OD light flashes a trouble code when you start your car. If you post the flash sequence, I might be able to look up the code for you...it is not the same as the ECU code.
Old 08-12-2001, 08:39 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ya if you od light flashes it indicates a tranny problem. it's a warning light. mine does this after i start the car the first time after using my little ghetto vb mod that just drops the resistor. it works for now.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:30 AM

TCM self-diagnostic procedure

Originally posted by maximaGTR
Preveosly I had a post about my overdrive button problems but never got a good response about it. Some days when I start my car I get overdrive blinks couple of times. Yesterday when I tried using it, it seems like no response from my od button. Someone told me to use the diagnostics but wasnt clear how this will resolve my problem. I am new at this please give me more detail info. Thanks in advance.

BTW somedays my cruse control blinking and not working at all. Please heeeeeeellllllppp........
You may be familiar with the method for reading Diagnostic Trouble Codes from the Engine Control Module. The four-number Codes are represented by flashes of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. The Transmission Control Unit has a similar diagnostic capability and it uses the O/D OFF light rather than the MIL. For further information please refer to the post TCM self-diagnostic procedure.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:56 AM

Re: TCM self-diagnostic procedure

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
You may be familiar with the method for reading Diagnostic Trouble Codes from the Engine Control Module. The four-number Codes are represented by flashes of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. The Transmission Control Unit has a similar diagnostic capability and it uses the O/D OFF light rather than the MIL. For further information please refer to the post TCM self-diagnostic procedure.
Your original post in this thread did not specify the model year of your car. The referenced post applies to '98-'99 Maximas.

Instructions for performing the TCM self-diagnostic procedure on all 4Gen Maximas may be found in the Haynes repair manual on page 7-B3.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:27 AM

I am sorry for not being clear I drive 97 SE and as soon as I see my overdrive blinking I will post the blinking order. Thanks you all for your assistance.

BTW could my cruse control be affiliated with that problem???
Old 08-12-2001, 12:15 PM

I am sorry for not being clear I drive 97 SE ...
Whenever you post a technical question it is helpful to specify ...
- model year
- transmission
- odometer reading
- mods (if any)
- recent repair history
- a detailed report of symptoms

... BTW could my cruse control be affiliated with that problem???
Yes. One of the Transmission Control Module trouble codes indicates a bad Vehicle Speed Sensor. One of the inputs to the Automatic Speed Control Device Control Unit is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. We can see that sensor as a common point.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:39 PM

This is more clearer about my problem. Thanks for all your help you are a genious.

- model year 97SE
- transmission Auto
- odometer reading 80,000
- mods (if any) air filter
- recent repair history no repairs just oil changes
- a detailed report of symptoms Overdrive blinks 13 - 14 times when I started the car. Doesnt happen all the times. I counted today.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:26 PM

... Overdrive blinks 13 - 14 times when I started the car. Doesnt happen all the times. I counted today.
Observe those blinks closely. The first one will be longer than the others. Watch (and count) as the succession of shorter blinks appear. You are looking for one which is about twice as long as the others. The important thing to note is which blink is the long one (not counting that first long one). Post your findings on this thread.

I am not a genius. I know how to read and I have a manual. If you don't already have a copy of the Haynes repair manual, please get one. It will be money well spent.