4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some help with...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 08:52 AM

Could someone please tell me what this banging noise is everytime I drive on a bad road (parking lot) or go over a speed bump? It only comes from the back of the car, like under the truck area. And it is driving me crazy. I keep thinking it's my shocks or struts. Could someone please help me out, and tell me what this noise is? Sometimes it sounds like something is loose, and I don't have a sway bar so I don't know what it could be. Please help!! =(
Old 08-12-2001, 09:06 AM

Uhhh

Did you try the spare tire, its prolly loose, or how about the jack, that may be loose also.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:19 AM

Re: Uhhh

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
Did you try the spare tire, its prolly loose, or how about the jack, that may be loose also.
I don't have the spare tire in my trunk because of my system, so I know it's not that.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by CARIZMAX
Could someone please tell me what this banging noise is everytime I drive on a bad road (parking lot) or go over a speed bump? It only comes from the back of the car, like under the truck area. And it is driving me crazy. I keep thinking it's my shocks or struts. Could someone please help me out, and tell me what this noise is? Sometimes it sounds like something is loose, and I don't have a sway bar so I don't know what it could be. Please help!! =(
When you post a question on this forum it is helful if you choose a meaningful Subject line. In this case Banging noise in rear of car would be better than Need some help with...

Ideas for your consideration ...

1) Spare tire. Is it securely fastened? Remedy: tighten.

2) Jack and jack tools. Securely fastened? Remedy: tighten.

3) Trunk lid supports (torsion bars). These may be banging against each other, possibly due to a broken or missing plastic retainer. Remedy: refasten or replace the retainer. Slit a 6" length of fuel line lengthwise and slip it onto either bar.

4) Exhaust system alignment. Annoying rattles can come from some part of the exhaust system hitting an adjacent part of the car. The exhaust system is mounted on rubber hangers, giving it some freedom to move about. When the engine is cold, grab the tailpipe and wiggle it vigorously up and down, side to side. See if this exercise can replicate the unwanted sound. Remedy: change the hangers and/or bend the metal fingers which fasten to the hangers in order to increase the clearance between exhaust pipes and car body.

5) Exhaust system heat shield. There are heat shields on some parts of the exhaust system. Sometimes one corner or one end of a heat shield breaks free. This condition gives rise to all sorts of weird intermittent rattles, buzzes, clunks. Remedy: repair or replace.

6) Muffler. It is unusual, but possible, for one of the baffles inside the muffler to break loose. This metal piece will then move about on it's own, rattling and banging as it goes. Thump the muffler with a rubber mallet. If you hear moving parts inside, something is wrong. Remedy: replace muffler.

7) Broken rubber bushing in the suspension. Raise the front of the vehicle and support it on sturdy jackstands. Slide under and inspect every part of the rear suspension. Look for cracked bushings. Lower the vehicle and repeat this inspection at the rear end. Remedy: replace.