4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Daniel Martin,can you help me with the humming noise coming from around my fuel tank!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 01:41 PM
pimpman81

I was out of town and did not drive my car for about 5 days. When I drove it again, I noticed a high pitch humming noise coming from around the fuel tank after I shut my car off. It hasnt happened before last night. My car was really low on gas the first time I heard the noise so I thought that might be it. But I filled up and then the next time I shut my car off I heard the humming noise again. Its a solid hummmmmm noise that stops after about 5 minutes. I replaced my fuel filter right before I left town, would this have anything to do with it? Im just baffled as to what is causing this. Please Help. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2001, 02:33 PM
pimpman81

Daniel or anyone else that may know what is happening here? Thanks

Old 08-12-2001, 02:37 PM

Your fuel pump uses the gasoline in the tank to cool itself. By running extremely low on fuel, you may have overheated the fuel pump, damaging it. You may want to check the fuek line pressure now.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Your fuel pump uses the gasoline in the tank to cool itself. By running extremely low on fuel, you may have overheated the fuel pump, damaging it. You may want to check the fuek line pressure now.

Dunno if its that... my car does the same thing. Seems like its bleeding off pressure, cause if you open the fuel tank cap the pressure subsides.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:54 PM

Looking for clues

Originally posted by pimpman81
I was out of town and did not drive my car for about 5 days. When I drove it again, I noticed a high pitch humming noise coming from around the fuel tank after I shut my car off. It hasnt happened before last night. My car was really low on gas the first time I heard the noise so I thought that might be it. But I filled up and then the next time I shut my car off I heard the humming noise again. Its a solid hummmmmm noise that stops after about 5 minutes. I replaced my fuel filter right before I left town, would this have anything to do with it? Im just baffled as to what is causing this. Please Help. Thanks!
I think the fuel pump turns off the instant the ignition is turned off. If this is so, the sound you are hearing can't be the fuel pump.

Fuse #32 (15 amps) in the passenger compartment fuse block powers the fuel pump. Please yank that fuse at the same time you switch off the ignition. If you still hear the humming sound, it isn't the fuel pump.

If you do hear the humming with the fuel pump disabled, remove the fuel filler cap. If the sound ceases immediately it is related to pressure or vacuum inside the fuel tank.

Please perform these simple experiments and post your findings on this thread. This kind of diagnostic investigation is what I call "Looking for clues at the scene of the crime."
Old 08-12-2001, 04:39 PM
pimpman81

Re: Looking for clues

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
I think the fuel pump turns off the instant the ignition is turned off. If this is so, the sound you are hearing can't be the fuel pump.

Fuse #32 (15 amps) in the passenger compartment fuse block powers the fuel pump. Please yank that fuse at the same time you switch off the ignition. If you still hear the humming sound, it isn't the fuel pump.

If you do hear the humming with the fuel pump disabled, remove the fuel filler cap. If the sound ceases immediately it is related to pressure or vacuum inside the fuel tank.

Please perform these simple experiments and post your findings on this thread. This kind of diagnostic investigation is what I call "Looking for clues at the scene of the crime."
Ok, I will do that! Thank you very much for your help It is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-12-2001, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 95 max has always done this. I always thought it was the fuel canister releving pressure? Either way I think this is normal.