4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Killed by Talon TSi with heavy mods. please read and help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 08:46 AM
maximaR

OK so my friend came back from vacation about 2 days ago. And we were just lookin to get together. So i told him i would tear his talon apart on a highway(with stop lights) near us. we drive over, hes following me. As soon as we get onto the highway i slam on the gas. He is still in the same lane as me, then he goes into 3rd , i hear his turbo spool up , and hes in the right lane flying past me like it aint no thing. so we're running for a while, and he keeps pulling and pulling on me slowly. he is stick , im automatic. What do i need to do to be able to keep up >
im so impressed by how much he beat my by that i am thinking about buying an eclipse GSX, but im like 6'7 so i dont really fit...

his mods are :
Bored out 2.2 litre engine with bigger mitsubishi turbo
apex cat back exhaust
hks turbo timer (not that it makes it faster)
hks super megaflo intake (i think)

mine that are on now.
Place racing CAI
Greddy Cat back
intrax springs
yokohama avid H4
17x7's
stillen fstb

should i go with a 5 speed change over ? or a valve body mod or what ... anything that will put me ahead of him. and make me FASTER.

Old 08-13-2001, 08:55 AM

Ok, I'll make this short. A Eclipse/Talon/Galant VR4 with a 20G turbo (the bigger turbo you are talking about), and decent intake and exhaust makes the DSMs 12 second cars. Now I see he has bored out his engine, even MORE power. You can forget about it, unless you are running like a 200 shot of NOS(yeah right), you SO don't have a chance.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:04 AM
maximaR

damn !

Originally posted by medicsonic
Ok, I'll make this short. A Eclipse/Talon/Galant VR4 with a 20G turbo (the bigger turbo you are talking about), and decent intake and exhaust makes the DSMs 12 second cars. Now I see he has bored out his engine, even MORE power. You can forget about it, unless you are running like a 200 shot of NOS(yeah right), you SO don't have a chance.
grrrr , that sucks , oh well , my car is nicer inside than his, i would take a max any day over a talon. Unless it was just a race machine.

Old 08-13-2001, 09:15 AM

Yeah, they really are pretty much race machines, well except fpr the VR4, that plays the sedan role pretty well actually.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:18 AM

Re: damn !

Originally posted by maximaR

grrrr , that sucks , oh well , my car is nicer inside than his, i would take a max any day over a talon. Unless it was just a race machine.
Yeah theres not much that you can do here. You can get a y-pipe, that will help some but you will still get killed by the Talon. The only way to stand a chance would be to Supercharge your Max. Good Luck, Take Care
Old 08-13-2001, 10:14 AM
I'm so hood

Does speed really matter that much? Like you said, your car is a lot "nicer" in a lot of ways. Those DSMs...ehn, I could go on about their interiors and all-around reliability, etc...but they'll run fast (the turbos, at least). It'd be very hard/costly to keep up with a modded turbo DSM with an auto max.

What do you want from a car? I think a lot of people that are so performance-oriented change their answers to that question four times a month. From what I've picked up, a lot of street racer/mod happy/etc drivers seem to like things like the speed and process of modding/tricking cars out more than their current car of choice itself. Every week, they'll be talking about what car they want next, or what mod they want next. But I guess if that's what rows your boat, go with it...(kind of an expensive and potentially inconvienent way to get your kicks, but you guys already knew that )

I dunno, I'm completely satisfied with the performance my maxi has, stock. Although I might have to work on the feel of the shifts...but that's another story
Old 08-13-2001, 11:57 AM
SLOW

Like has already been said, don't bother trying to keep up with him. You will not be able to, unless you spend 4x the money that he does. I have many DSM friends, and they, mod for mod, are about the fastest cars you can think of, short of a supra or possibly big V8s. For instance, my friend randy has a 96 GST (not even AWD) and he rat 13.7s on his STOCK turbo (the car wasnt stock though obviously), now he has a 16G, which is the next size bigger (14B is stock) and he runs 13.2s. Any car with 16G, 18G, 20G, or any of the hybrid turbos like the Frankestein1, 2, 3, etc will blow a maxima out of the water. Just be happy that your car is higher quality, nicer, and more reliable than his. Or if you really want to run with the big dogs... get a Supra TT and waste his ***
Old 08-13-2001, 03:48 PM

No chance!!

My kid bro got a 96 GSX and I have a 98 Maxima. We are both stock and 5spd. I always beat him only because he can't really launch and drive stick yet. But now that he got used to driving stick, I can't beat him and his stock turbo any more. Funny, how he used to see my tail lights. Now, I know I can't beat him so I just don't bother to race him. Know your car. If you got a slower car, why race a faster car that will beat you anyway, unless your car is suped up to go very fast!! Soon, I will race him again when I get my forced induction. But then he'll probably have a few bolt ons too. So, It will be a good match, to see you can hook whose car up the best.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:15 PM
KCTYPHOON

hehe, or you could buy my truck..

Old 08-14-2001, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you want to make yourself feel better, go eat some Civics and Accords.....

Old 08-14-2001, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
L For instance, my friend randy has a 96 GST (not even AWD) and he rat 13.7s on his STOCK turbo (the car wasnt stock though obviously), now he has a 16G, which is the next size bigger (14B is stock) and he runs 13.2s.
The stock turbo on a 96GST is NOT a 14B. The 14B turbo was used on 1st generation turbo dsm's. 2nd gen DSM's have either a T-25 or a T-28 turbo depending on tranny.

And a 96GST stock will not run 13.7, unless the person had exhaust, FMIC, Boost controller, Apexi SAFC and all the other toys..then it's a maybe,

with a 16G a 13.2 time sounds reasonable ..

greg you gonna sell me your GVR4 anytime soon ?

Ant
Old 08-14-2001, 03:18 PM

Hmmm, no, but just to make you feel even worse, I'm sick of playing with it. Off it goes to another family member.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You don't need help because you were beaten by a turbo DSM, you need help because you're surprised he beat you. You have an automagic... nothing short of boost or NOS is going to get you close to him. You'd need to be at least into 13s to beat him and no NA Maxima (no boost, no happy gas) is there yet. Just grin and bear it.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:06 PM
maximaR

surprised ?

Originally posted by Weasel
You don't need help because you were beaten by a turbo DSM, you need help because you're surprised he beat you. You have an automagic... nothing short of boost or NOS is going to get you close to him. You'd need to be at least into 13s to beat him and no NA Maxima (no boost, no happy gas) is there yet. Just grin and bear it.

I wasnt surprised that i got beat, disappointed yes , surprised no, but i was just asking what i needed to get closer.

Old 08-14-2001, 10:57 PM
dOpe as fcuk

Originally posted by iansw
If you want to make yourself feel better, go eat some Civics and Accords.....

nothin beats eatin civics and accords except for maybe a rustang if u get lucky

medicsonic, u got a Galant VR4?! .... Bastard!!

Old 08-14-2001, 11:09 PM

Oh well, he beat you and you wont be able to beat him without forced induction. But like others have said and so have you. The Maxima is 10 times nicer than the talon and will last a lot longer too. Its not like the Maxima was meant to be a race car, but it is one hell of sleeper!!! Take Care and dont be dissapointed, you still have a nicer car than him. Take Care
Old 08-15-2001, 05:35 PM
maximaR

Thanks

Originally posted by SB97MAX
Oh well, he beat you and you wont be able to beat him without forced induction. But like others have said and so have you. The Maxima is 10 times nicer than the talon and will last a lot longer too. Its not like the Maxima was meant to be a race car, but it is one hell of sleeper!!! Take Care and dont be dissapointed, you still have a nicer car than him. Take Care

Thanks SB , hows that Y pipe treating you ??

Old 08-15-2001, 05:54 PM
ybelm620

I have bad news for u thers no maxima that can beat that car. I know what im talkin about because like 4 of my close friends have the exact same car, and they are fast stock. ALl of them are modded and are runnin mid 11s. I love those cars so much that im getting one and want to get rid of my max. If you want speed and real performance get one, u want nice moderate performance, luxury, and style stay with your max. If you follow speedvision, or follow drag racing those cars are the top cars. So if you see one dont think your gonna win. The maxima is not a sports cars its a sports sedan, thats way hevier then those cars. So give them respect because they will run our cars if they are turboed. So if you want to beat one do it in the same car, or another turboed car, not the maxima and thats the truth.

Old 08-15-2001, 09:36 PM

losing never feels good, but don't sweat it too much..as stated before Eclipse/Talons are in a different class than maximas so it's like comparing apples to oranges; each car has its strengths/weakness

as for me, my dream car is a 2002 Benz C32 AMG (a V6 w/ a supercharger that generates 349 hp) yup, to 60 in 5.2..

until then no DSM kill attempts in my max..

peep these links:

http://209.167.164.66/brand/containe...&modelCode=C32

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/mercbenz1/c32_amg.htm

the pics always cheer me up
Old 08-16-2001, 11:38 PM

I have the best of both worlds...

I have my '96 Infiniti I30t 5 speed and I also have a '90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. My Eagle is 300+ hp with moderate mods and has amazing grip due to its all wheel drive. I've got the 16G turbo, FMIC (front mount intercooler), HKS exhaust, 3000GT VR-4 fuel pump, etc. To be honest, I don't like to drive my Infiniti anymore because the Eagle is so much more fun.

You guys were pretty much right on about the performance figures. The 1G (manual) came with the 14B turbo and the 2G came with the T-25 turbo. My car is good for quarter mile times in the 12's. DSMs with larger turbos and more fuel management can see 11's. So to make a long story short, don't mess with DSMs. If they'll outrun Corvettes and Porsches, don't think your auto Maxima will be much of challenge.

The Max is a great car. If you like it, then enjoy. If you don't like having a bone stock Max then mod it and enjoy it even more, but enjoy it for the car that it is and realize it's not a supercar.

My 2 cents.

John