4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 Max - starter won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 09:32 PM
jstev3

Occasionally when I turn the key the starter won't crank. I get all the dash lights, and I know it's not the battery because I don't hear the "click, click, click" a dying battery makes. After several key-turning attempts, it usually starts. Today, however, I tried for about 10 mins to start it but couldn't. We pushed it to the side, loaded the kids in the minivan, and headed off for soccer practice. When we returned 2 hours later, I attempted to start the Max. It cranked on the first attempt and I backed it into the garage. Please let me know if you've had a similar problem. It seems like this problem may have started a few months ago when I noticed that I had to turn the key farther and farther clockwise to get the starter to engage. Thanks. jstev3

Old 08-16-2001, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by jstev3
Occasionally when I turn the key the starter won't crank. I get all the dash lights, and I know it's not the battery because I don't hear the "click, click, click" a dying battery makes. After several key-turning attempts, it usually starts. Today, however, I tried for about 10 mins to start it but couldn't. We pushed it to the side, loaded the kids in the minivan, and headed off for soccer practice. When we returned 2 hours later, I attempted to start the Max. It cranked on the first attempt and I backed it into the garage. Please let me know if you've had a similar problem. It seems like this problem may have started a few months ago when I noticed that I had to turn the key farther and farther clockwise to get the starter to engage. Thanks. jstev3
do you have an alarm system on the car? the starter kill mechanism could be messing up on you.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:25 PM
jstev3

Originally posted by Newman96SE

do you have an alarm system on the car? the starter kill mechanism could be messing up on you.
Nope. However, I just read on another site (motor age garage) that a 95 Max owner had a similar starting problem along with failing dash lights. The solution was to replace some smaller wires coming from the positive battery terminal that had corroded. I haven't checked these yet, but Nissan wants ~$300 to replace.

Old 08-16-2001, 10:43 PM

When you try to crank and nothing happen, does the dash lights dim? If it doesn't, then you're looking at the wiring to the of the signal wire to the starter like the igniton switch and park neutral switch. If it does dim, then there is not enough power to the starter. It can be because of the high resistance in the wire or the starter.
Old 08-17-2001, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by jstev3
You are reporting a no-crank problem.

Always do the easy check first. If your vehicle is a 5-speed, make sure the clutch pedal is all the way down when you twist the key to START. If automatic, jiggle the shifter while attempting to crank. Try cranking in both Park and Neutral. If those steps are unsuccessful, consider ...

- discharged battery (dim headlights with engine off)
- weak battery (check voltage at terminals while cranking)
- loose or dirty battery terminal connections at the battery
- loose or dirty battery-to-body ground connection
- loose or dirty battery-to-engine block connection
- bad ignition switch
- bad clutch safety switch (5-speed)
- bad neutral safety switch (automatic)
- bad inhibitor relay
- bad solenoid
- bad starter

The starter is an expensive item so I would check the other items before
spending the money on a replacement.