4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Update on my bearing replacements (prices)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's right, replacement(s). Both my front wheel bearings have evidently gone bad, that's what I observed in driving and the dealer found the same thing. The service guy said in 4 years of working there he couldn't remember more than 5 cars (not just Maximas) with this problem. Woohoo. I'm unique. Now to the prices, they wanted $520 parts and labor. This naturally caused me to have a mild seizure. I called up a place that I know does a lot of Euro car repair and is owned by an ex-service manager from a Volvo dealer. Turns out he does work on Japanese cars and he'll fix my bearings with OEM parts for $300 labor included. I'm still waiting for confirmation from this guy that it is the problem (just wanted to make sure, a third opinion). Still, $200 less than the dealer... damn.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Weasel
That's right, replacement(s). Both my front wheel bearings have evidently gone bad, that's what I observed in driving and the dealer found the same thing. The service guy said in 4 years of working there he couldn't remember more than 5 cars (not just Maximas) with this problem. Woohoo. I'm unique. Now to the prices, they wanted $520 parts and labor. This naturally caused me to have a mild seizure. I called up a place that I know does a lot of Euro car repair and is owned by an ex-service manager from a Volvo dealer. Turns out he does work on Japanese cars and he'll fix my bearings with OEM parts for $300 labor included. I'm still waiting for confirmation from this guy that it is the problem (just wanted to make sure, a third opinion). Still, $200 less than the dealer... damn.
A technician who does this job "by the book" must remove the steering knuckle and use a hydraulic press to remove the old bearing. This is a time-consuming process. There are special tools which makes this job faster and easier by servicing the bearing with the knuckle still on the car. One example is the Hub Shark made by Old Forge. http://www.mytoolstore.com/oldforge/olf06.html

Shop around. Look for a shop which has one of these special tools, and you might get a lower price quote. If you do your own "wrenching" see if you could rent a Hub Shark.