4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Blown Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Today I installed my blue washer lights and they worked fine for a little while but then I blew a fuse. My corner lights, washer lights, and tail lights don't work. I found the blown fuse and it was a 7.5 amp. I am going to replace it but I wonder if I should hook the washer lights up to some other source. I have my corner lights in backwards so they are brighter and I am thinking I might be putting too much through the wires. Anyone have any imput on if I should move them or do you think I have a short somewhere? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2001, 02:15 PM
NeverEnough

more than likely just too many amps for the fuse

Try running them through another source, such as the cig. lighter fuse, it should be able to handle the additional draw, unless you run a high draw component through it, i.e. a cell phone charger, etc. If you want to check for a short, make your own fusible link, put in a 10 amp fuse, ground the washer nozzle bulbs and hook it up to 12 volts. if it blows, there is a short, if not, it should be ok. Hope this helps. Let me know if it doesn't.

Lee

ps....WAAAAAAAAAR EAGLE (I'm from 'bama, and I've ALWAYS been an Auburn fan, and will be 'til I die)

Originally posted by WaarrEagle
Today I installed my blue washer lights and they worked fine for a little while but then I blew a fuse. My corner lights, washer lights, and tail lights don't work. I found the blown fuse and it was a 7.5 amp. I am going to replace it but I wonder if I should hook the washer lights up to some other source. I have my corner lights in backwards so they are brighter and I am thinking I might be putting too much through the wires. Anyone have any imput on if I should move them or do you think I have a short somewhere? Thanks.

Old 08-14-2001, 03:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did find the problem when I looked around. I was trying to secure to wire from the hood to the corner lights and I hooked them under some bolts and when I bolted them down some of the wire got forced through the insulation and then I guess it shorted out. I got everything back together and havn't blown anything but I haven't operated them for a while yet. Hopefully I won't have any more problems. I had to replace the 7.5 fuse with a 10 because thats the closest I had. Should I get a 7.5 or is 10 OK?
Old 08-14-2001, 06:09 PM

... Should I get a 7.5 or is 10 OK?
Get the 7.5 amp fuse.
Old 08-15-2001, 01:08 PM
NeverEnough

Never change the rated fuse value in your fuse box....you can burn up your car.

I did find the problem when I looked around. I was trying to secure to wire from the hood to the corner lights and I hooked them under some bolts and when I bolted them down some of the wire got forced through the insulation and then I guess it shorted out. I got everything back together and havn't blown anything but I haven't operated them for a while yet. Hopefully I won't have any more problems. I had to replace the 7.5 fuse with a 10 because thats the closest I had. Should I get a 7.5 or is 10 OK?