4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power window probs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 08:44 AM

Hey guys, need some tech advise.

My 95 GXE has developed a wierd "quirk" with it's driver-side power window switch. It works fine when rolling the window down (regular and "express-down"), but doesn't seem to like rolling the window back up.

It's taking more and more flicks of the window switch to roll the window back up. You can hear the switch clicking (that relay type sound)and when the window does decide to roll up it doesn't move any slower than normal. This seems to rule out a bad motor or relay, but can't be 100% certain.

My first thought was a loose connection somewhere, but should that also cause problems rolling the window up? Hubby gave it a quick look-over the other day and said everything looked ok.

When it first started it would roll up on every other try, now it's progressed to haveing to hit the switch anywhere from 5-10 times to get it to roll up!!

Anybody had a similar problem with their Max before and know what to look for? I really want to get this fixed, Max has been such a great car, I hate to see him feeling bad.

Thanks,
Samantha
Old 08-15-2001, 12:02 PM

I had the exact same problem with my 95 SE, except that it got to the point where it would only go up if I pressed the button and pushed the windo up with my hand at the same time.

I got a new/used motor and regulator from a junkyard and had them install it for a total of $140 (a new motor is ridiculously expensive). It works fine now.

Originally posted by NisMax95
Hey guys, need some tech advise.

My 95 GXE has developed a wierd "quirk" with it's driver-side power window switch. It works fine when rolling the window down (regular and "express-down"), but doesn't seem to like rolling the window back up.

It's taking more and more flicks of the window switch to roll the window back up. You can hear the switch clicking (that relay type sound)and when the window does decide to roll up it doesn't move any slower than normal. This seems to rule out a bad motor or relay, but can't be 100% certain.

My first thought was a loose connection somewhere, but should that also cause problems rolling the window up? Hubby gave it a quick look-over the other day and said everything looked ok.

When it first started it would roll up on every other try, now it's progressed to haveing to hit the switch anywhere from 5-10 times to get it to roll up!!

Anybody had a similar problem with their Max before and know what to look for? I really want to get this fixed, Max has been such a great car, I hate to see him feeling bad.

Thanks,
Samantha