4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Daniel Martin or anyone whom may know proper sequence of parts on idler pulley shaft!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 08:50 AM
jmax

A few months back my idler pulley adjustment broke off in the adjustment nut. I replaced with a new pulley from Courtesy. At the time I thought that I sequenced the 20mm washer, 22mm Diameter 10mm spacer, adjustment shaft, pulley, 27mm washer, and the two metal 'do-hickies' that fit up flush against the pulley, all in the same - but reverse - order that they came off. But, the pulley squeals, like a pig. The belt is tight. Can anyone advise correct sequencing of these parts? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2001, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by jmax
A few months back my idler pulley adjustment broke off in the adjustment nut. I replaced with a new pulley from Courtesy. At the time I thought that I sequenced the 20mm washer, 22mm Diameter 10mm spacer, adjustment shaft, pulley, 27mm washer, and the two metal 'do-hickies' that fit up flush against the pulley, all in the same - but reverse - order that they came off. But, the pulley squeals, like a pig. The belt is tight. Can anyone advise correct sequencing of these parts? Thanks in advance.
I looked in all three manuals and could not find the answer to this question. Perhaps Courtesy could give you some information over the phone.
Old 08-20-2001, 11:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jmax

Let me try to explain, 1st get the 1 big bolt in between the metal bracket properly, next put the three 14mm{I think 14mm} bolts on your bracket which will connect the braket to the car. Next get the big washer and slip it over the the long bolt which is inside of the braket, now install the pulley with it's baring{AKA Spacer? } and then losley fit the 14mm nut unto the the big long bolt that holds the pulley on. Remember not to tighten the bolt until you install your belt and TQ it properly.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:25 AM
jmax

The two washers seem to fit flush against the pulley, larger one on the inside, smaller against the nut. Next inside is the 10mm steel spacer and then the adjustment/curved bolt. I think the mechanic that put the OG alternator on last September had the large washer out of place.

Old 04-30-2002, 09:04 PM

I have the same problem that was explained by the original poster of this thread. I cannot remember what the order of the stuff was. Mainly, I do not know where one of the washers goes. The spacer is still on. I never took it off, so I know that it's gotta be in the right place. And I know of course that the hex nut goes on last. So I have the pulley itself, the black cover thing, and washer that I'm confused about. Going from the spacer away from the alternator, I'm thinking it's spacer, pulley, black cover thing, the washer, and the hex nut. Am I right?
Old 04-30-2002, 09:45 PM

good to know Daniel B still around!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by nizmolee
good to know Daniel B still around!
not really, look @ the date
Old 04-30-2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Minimalmaxima
I have the same problem that was explained by the original poster of this thread. I cannot remember what the order of the stuff was. Mainly, I do not know where one of the washers goes. The spacer is still on. I never took it off, so I know that it's gotta be in the right place. And I know of course that the hex nut goes on last. So I have the pulley itself, the black cover thing, and washer that I'm confused about. Going from the spacer away from the alternator, I'm thinking it's spacer, pulley, black cover thing, the washer, and the hex nut. Am I right?
You're in luck, I did this about a week ago. Everything but the nut and one of the metal washer that fit flush up against the pulley go on the side toward the engine.

Adam