4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NEED NELP-problem with koni inserts

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 09:57 AM

I just installed the koni strut inserts yesterday and when I took it out for a test drive, everything seemed ok. But when I was driving over to my friends house, I noticed a horrible noise coming from the right passenger side. The noise sounded as if a bolt was loose and the tread on the bolt was rubing against another metal. But I checked and rechecked all the bolts, and everything checked out fine. Does anyone know what this problem can be? Also, can a sratch on the strut rod damage the whole thing? Because on the same side, I accidently sratched it. I also checked for leaks, but didnt see anything. I have a '98 GXE and running coilovers in front, lowered so that theres about 1 1/2" of gap between the tire and fender. Also, is the likelyhood of the inserts being damaged when shipped high? Because I just noticed that one of the inserts, I cant adjust for some reason! Well, please help! Thanks.
Old 08-26-2001, 02:30 PM

Can anyone please help me?
Old 08-26-2001, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by danny's_max
I just installed the koni strut inserts yesterday and when I took it out for a test drive, everything seemed ok. But when I was driving over to my friends house, I noticed a horrible noise coming from the right passenger side. The noise sounded as if a bolt was loose and the tread on the bolt was rubing against another metal. But I checked and rechecked all the bolts, and everything checked out fine. Does anyone know what this problem can be? Also, can a sratch on the strut rod damage the whole thing? Because on the same side, I accidently sratched it. I also checked for leaks, but didnt see anything. I have a '98 GXE and running coilovers in front, lowered so that theres about 1 1/2" of gap between the tire and fender. Also, is the likelyhood of the inserts being damaged when shipped high? Because I just noticed that one of the inserts, I cant adjust for some reason! Well, please help! Thanks.
Your not suppose to damage the strut rod, b/c it will cause complications, but if you didn't do major, major damage it should be OK. Did you make sure to tighten all the bolts to spec when you reassembled the strut/spring combo, the bolt at the bottom of the stock strut that attaches to the koni insert, try raising a tad(you don't have it that low, but it could be rubbing something), and what do you mean by "the inserts being damaged when shipped high?"
Old 08-26-2001, 09:15 PM
ryz

check the bolt that tightens the insert in the stock shock housing ,that has been known to come lose after diving around for a while .

the strut not being able to adjust is kinda weird ;thats the first I ever heard of that kinda problem ;call your vendors & see what they say ,heck call koni ,they will point you in the right direction
good luck
Old 08-26-2001, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Gotrice4

Your not suppose to damage the strut rod, b/c it will cause complications, but if you didn't do major, major damage it should be OK. Did you make sure to tighten all the bolts to spec when you reassembled the strut/spring combo, the bolt at the bottom of the stock strut that attaches to the koni insert, try raising a tad(you don't have it that low, but it could be rubbing something), and what do you mean by "the inserts being damaged when shipped high?"
Hmm, guess it didnt come out the why I wanted it to. But I was trying to say if the koni inserts can be damaged easily when shipped. Because the box that the koni's came in, the inserts are just side-by-side, and a strip of cardboard down the middle, no like padding or something to prevent it from moving around. About the bolts, I checked them all, and they are tighten to spec. And for the bottom bolt that holds the insert in place, I used some loc-tight to prevent the bolt from coming lose. Also, I guess I should have said this first, but it only makes noise when going over small bumps on the road and when I accelerate. I'm not too sure if it makes that noise on the freeway, because of road noise, it maybe drowns out the noise.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:39 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I had the same problem. Are you sure you tightened the bold on the bottom of the strut assembly (the hole that you drilled)? It has the weird shaped black washer. You might also want to check the upper strut mount bolt that hold the upper strut mount on.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:37 PM

Thanks for all the feed back guys! But I think I have found out what is making all that noise. I'm using Weapon-R coilovers in the front only, and the top hat that is used to align the top of the spring, its a big hunk of aluminum with a hole in the middle for the strut rod to go through. And that hole is just barely bigger than the thickness of the strut rod, and I believe that the two metals are rubbing against each other and making that noise. Because just today, I took everything apart and reinstalled everything, checked all the bolts, but still making noise. So tomorrow, I'm going to bore the hole on the top hat a little bigger and somehow glue some plastic around the hole, and see what happens.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:39 PM
ryz

cool

sounds like you found the problem ; its good when you do stuff your self it gives you such piece of mind to know it was done right ,
Just imagine if you had given it out to be done ,sleepless nights ,trips back to the shop ,fearing that your car will fall apart while driving ........ all's well that ends well