4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help with surging acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 05:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Occasionally, I have surging acceleration w/ a smooth gas pedal press. I'm not totally sure why that happens, but when it does, the ECU gives out the numbers, 0304 and 0201 (Knock Sensor and Ignition Signal Circuit).

I haven't tried to solve this problem yet, and I just reset the ECU, being watchful if the numbers pop up again.

Now, I've also noticed relation to this problem. When I try to fully floor the gas pedal from a full stop, in the past I've also noticed the same type of hesitiation (and surging) as above, and the same code numbers are sent.

I was wondering about any solutions to this. I just received my Haynes manual today, and I was looking through it, but I'm not expereinced enough to determine the correct area of dianostic/repair.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:01 PM

Hey I'm sorry I can't offer any input but I am experiencing the same problem. It is a surge that goes un-noticed by most people but I 'feel it' when they say they don't. It occurs around 3000 rmp - 4000 rmp and feels kinda like there is a 'lobe' to my engine. It doesn't really feel like a miss though. I can mash the gas and plow right through it without seeming to lose any power. I only feel it on a slow, gradual acceleration (smooth gas pedal). This hasn't been a problem but it does have me concerned. Also, I have recently replaced the knock sensor and one of the rear O2 sensors and I still experience the problem. I only mention the knock sensor because of your trouble codes. Hope somebody has some input.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:18 PM

Join the club. I just recently started to experience this. At first it appeared in the 1200-2000 range, and was a very slight surging, unnoticeable to anyone else. After finding a slight intake leak and fixing it, it now has apparently moved to exactly 2400 RPM and only there. I also get a ECU code, but it is only the 0304, the Knock Sensor part. Having tested the sensor and finding it within spec, I have tried resetting the ECU various times, and it continues to happen. There is now no noticeable loss of power, so I am willing to put up with it for the next few weeks, until I decide to change the sensor. You may want to talk to Ant95SE, he has had a similar experience that disappeared when he replaced the KS.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
Occasionally, I have surging acceleration w/ a smooth gas pedal press. I'm not totally sure why that happens, but when it does, the ECU gives out the numbers, 0304 and 0201 (Knock Sensor and Ignition Signal Circuit).

I haven't tried to solve this problem yet, and I just reset the ECU, being watchful if the numbers pop up again.

Now, I've also noticed relation to this problem. When I try to fully floor the gas pedal from a full stop, in the past I've also noticed the same type of hesitiation (and surging) as above, and the same code numbers are sent.

I was wondering about any solutions to this. I just received my Haynes manual today, and I was looking through it, but I'm not expereinced enough to determine the correct area of dianostic/repair.

Thanks for any help.
Read the Sticky ECU Diagnostic Trouble Codes. It has some information about DTC 0201. This Code may be set by a problem with the Crankshaft Position Sensor (REF). Your newly-acquired Haynes repair manual contains instructions for a simple resistance test of this sensor on page 6-12. Examine the harness and connector for this sensor for signs of damage or dirty contacts.