4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clear corners stolen/possible solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 09:13 AM

Ok this happened a while ago but I have an idea. I had the standard clear corners, and I secured the sidemarkers from behind, as suggested. (so you can't remove them just by prying a screwdriver in the space between the sidemarker and the turnsignal) But anyway, they were stolen and I don't know how.

My solution for when and if I do get another set in the future: Do something like the 'VIN etching' that is done on the windows sometimes. I was thinking of taking one of those etching/engraving tools and engraving my car's VIN number into all four parts of the clear corners. Hopefully it will only be visible when you are real close to the car, I wouldn't do it so huge so that you can see it from far away. (yes, it would be on the outside lens surface)

1)Would this be bad for the lights themselves?
2)Would this be enough of a deterrent for possible theft in the future?

thanks in advance for your comments/replies
Old 09-06-2001, 10:07 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss.

1)Would this be bad for the lights themselves?
Probably. You run the risk of cracking them.

2)Would this be enough of a deterrent for possible theft in the future?
I don't think this will stop anyone from taking your lenses. But fortunately they are getting cheaper and buying a new set shouldn't set you back to much.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:13 PM

Never fun

Man it is never cool when that happens. Especially if it was another .org member who we are all supposed to be helping out. Not doing more to go against each other.

SuDZ
Old 09-06-2001, 12:54 PM
Kevlo for President

now i worry if should get clears cuz there is like 5+ 4th gen max's in ma town, r they on the org-dunno
Old 09-06-2001, 01:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This happened to me a while ago as well.... I had the clear corners secured with a washer from behind, but they still pried it off. Almost broke off the plastic band that holds the sidemarker piece in there. I remember reading a while ago that if you wanted to really secure them, GLUE them into place with some super bonding glue that won't break. When you have to change the bulbs, just remove the bottom plastic molding underneath, and reach up. It's a little too permanent for most people, but it does deter theives. Although if they can't get to your clears, they might get ****ed and F*** up your car anyways....
Old 09-06-2001, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by damadmonk
This happened to me a while ago as well.... I had the clear corners secured with a washer from behind, but they still pried it off. Almost broke off the plastic band that holds the sidemarker piece in there. I remember reading a while ago that if you wanted to really secure them, GLUE them into place with some super bonding glue that won't break. When you have to change the bulbs, just remove the bottom plastic molding underneath, and reach up. It's a little too permanent for most people, but it does deter theives. Although if they can't get to your clears, they might get ****ed and F*** up your car anyways....
I'd rather they stole my clears than get p!ssed and mess up my bumper or paint. Something more expensive.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:56 PM

stolen clear corners

it must have been someone that has a max and knows about putting the nut on from the inside.they must have had the time to remove.didnt your alarm sound?what type of alarm do you have?i always hear about people that have there car stolen and didnt have an alarm these days you cant have anything nice with out it getting damaged or stolen.the best thing to do is get a really good alarm thats sensitive and park near your house or drive way if you ahve one..even then thiefs will have the ***** to still try and steal.some times you cant win.
Old 09-06-2001, 06:18 PM

consider it a donation...

...to helping another Maxima look good. Seriously, sorry to hear about your theft.

If you try to affix them more permanently, you certainly risk two things: 1) damage to the lights if they don't get them out, and 2) damage to your bumper (gouges, scratches).

I'd chock it up to bad luck and just get replacements. Like someone else posted, the other damage will be costlier than replacement lenses.

One idea, though: perhaps putting small reflective stickers in an inside corner of the lenses (noticeable at night, up close). You wouldn't have to risk cracking them in taking them apart--just use a curved wire hanger with tape on the end to get it inside the lens. This might deter a thief... it would be a beacon to the person who was ripped off, and it may be appear like too much work to try removing the markers.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:26 AM

Always a sad day when someone's clear corners get jacked, some bastard took my stock fog lights a pair costs 250 dollars from the dealer!!! So now I get ripped off at the dealer. :[
Old 09-07-2001, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by norton2099
Always a sad day when someone's clear corners get jacked, some bastard took my stock fog lights a pair costs 250 dollars from the dealer!!! So now I get ripped off at the dealer. :[
Ouch!
Old 09-07-2001, 07:21 PM

fc95sewhat the hell are you thinking???
i had mine stolen a while ago and since then i just screwed my new set into the bumper.
heres how:
1)take the side-marker lense and unscrew the nipple thing and remove the white cup on the bumper(now you have a small hole in the bumper for the mounting screw)
2)mount up the blinker lense like normal(with supplied screws)
3) now from underneath the car reach in and use a fat/short screw and secure the side marker into the bumper were the existing hole is(you gonna use the hole on the lense where you took the nipple out from)
4) done!! now they are impossible to steal

Anthony
Old 09-07-2001, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by ny96maxse
what the hell are you thinking????
i had mine stolen a while ago and since then i just screwed them into the bumper.
heres how:
1)take the side-marker lense and unscrew the nipple thing and remove the white cup on the bumper(now you have a small hole in the bumper for the mounting screw)
3) now from underneath the car reach in and use a fat/short screw and secure the side marker into the bumper were the existing hole is(you gonna use the hole on the lense where you took the nipple out from)

Anthony
I think he tried that.
Originally posted by fc95se
Ok this happened a while ago but I have an idea. I had the standard clear corners, and I secured the sidemarkers from behind, as suggested. (so you can't remove them just by prying a screwdriver in the space between the sidemarker and the turnsignal)
But anyway, they were stolen and I don't know how.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:42 AM

side lenses

i had mine stolen a while ago and since then i just screwed my new set into the bumper.
heres how:

Anthony
i think that just putting the *** nut on from the inside should be enough to detter a thief.its a pain in the *** to remove the side markers when they are installed this way.you have to get under the car and all it sucks.but i guess if the thief really wants them.thats why you need a sensitive alarm.are far as fog lights being stolen that sucks.these are really to jack the are only 2 nuts thats hold them in place and the harness.thats bad luck..later
Old 09-10-2001, 05:10 AM

heres how:
Anthony
That's what I did to secure them. Also, I just have the standard factory alarm, so it doesn't have a motion sensor.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:32 AM

but the thief won't know it!

Seriously, any would-be thief is going to think they pop out easily. If they don't, the thief will just apply more pressure. He doesn't care about the bumper. He'll think he'll get 'em out if he just tries hard enough. In the end, he'll damage your bumper and probably break the lens to begin with. Or, he might even get mad and just mercilessly crack the lens to **** the victim off.

If you live in an area where this kind of thing happens often, try doing this: Put two small metal rods in front of the two light units, connected to the top and bottom parts of the bumper socket. Yeah, it might look a little "odd" up close, but it'll be an obvious deterrent. The would-be thief will notice it right away and won't even start mucking with your car. The other means of securing the lights isn't obvious until you start wasting time trying to pry them out. Just a thought...
Old 09-10-2001, 01:33 PM

The worse part is

That we haev to go through all this trouble securing everything we own in the first place. Dang I hate how everything in my town that is nice is gone byt the time I park it and get to my door at night.

SuDZ