4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Painting my GXE Grill? (1998 Model)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 10:29 AM

Has anyone painted the Entire Grill?

I have the Chrome'ish grill on my 98, and was wondering if there is a way to sand that, and paint it white like the SE's, and possibly paint the rest as well.

Just to where the whole thing is white?
Old 09-06-2001, 11:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

get yourself some sandpaper.. "paint priming" and some very fine sandpaper and go to work on all of the surfaces of the grill so it is all very smooth to the touch. A friend of mine has his done when he has his $tillen body kit painted, but all you need is sand paper.. some coarse and some fine with some white spray paint and some clear coat. Or you can take the grill to a shop and pay about 60$. Either way it will come out nice and white.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Maximus98

I have the Chrome'ish grill on my 98, and was wondering if there is a way to sand that, and paint it white like the SE's, and possibly paint the rest as well.

Just to where the whole thing is white?
I can't help you with that one except tell you to sand it down and get some Primer and White paint. By the way, you have a GXE, does your window trim have silver in it, or all black like an SE? Your door handles, or they silver too?
Old 09-07-2001, 05:39 PM

Yep...

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
By the way, you have a GXE, does your window trim have silver in it, or all black like an SE? Your door handles, or they silver too?
I have a '99 GXE, and there's chrome window trim, rear 'Maxima' badging, and door handles. Its all chrome! I hate the stuff.
Old 09-07-2001, 06:04 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hey....

Maximus, I don't know what it is, but I think your car looks freaking awsome. I love the white, especially with those 18's and the drop. I have a 98 GXE as well and I'd like to paint my grille black aswell, however I do not want it to be dull... I want it to shine and look factory. I'm wondering if clear coat would solve that.....
Old 09-07-2001, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Maximus98

I'm planning on painting my grille white also...I'm going to do it in about a week or two. I talked to a guy who does professional painting and he explained to me that you gotta get a primer & a spray can of white paint. You can either remove the grille for it to be more comfortable or leave it in the car.

If you're going to leave in car, make sure to get:
-masking tape
-newspaper
You'll then need to cover all the parts that are outside the grille with masking tape, and put newspaper behind the grille. Also put maskign tape on the chrome line that goes through the emblem 'nissan'.

If you're going to take it out, just put masking tape around the chrome line, and on the bottom of the grille.

1.you'll first need to put the primer on the black grille.
2.Let dry for at LEAST an hour.
3.Take spray can and hold the spray paint at moderate distance(not too close because then it'll start leaking when you spray and the job won't come out good)
4.Then let dry.

good luck

[IMG]http://www.gt-x-designs.com/max.jpg[\IMG]