4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine won't start consistently

Old 09-09-2001, 01:05 PM
whiteymax

I am experiencing some unusual engine problems which I cannot figure out. I have a 95 GLE which will not start consistently. When I try to turn the engine over it clicks repeatedly and starts about one-third of the time. Once started, the engine runs great with no electric problems which leads me to believe that both the battery and the alternator are still OK. The only thing I have left is the starter which I replaced six months ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2001, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by whiteymax
I am experiencing some unusual engine problems which I cannot figure out. I have a 95 GLE which will not start consistently. When I try to turn the engine over it clicks repeatedly and starts about one-third of the time. Once started, the engine runs great with no electric problems which leads me to believe that both the battery and the alternator are still OK. The only thing I have left is the starter which I replaced six months ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THanks in advance.
You are reporting an intermittent no-crank problem.

Always do the easy check first. If your vehicle is a 5-speed, make sure the clutch pedal is all the way down when you twist the key to START. If automatic, jiggle the shifter while attempting to crank. Try cranking in both Park and Neutral. If those steps are unsuccessful, consider ...

- discharged battery (dim headlights with engine off)
- weak battery (check voltage at terminals while cranking)
- loose or dirty battery terminal connections at the battery
- loose or dirty battery-to-body ground connection
- loose or dirty battery-to-engine block connection
- bad ignition switch
- bad clutch safety switch (5-speed)
- bad neutral safety switch (automatic)
- bad inhibitor relay
- bad solenoid
- bad starter

The starter is an expensive item so you should check the other items before spending the money on a replacement.
Old 09-09-2001, 01:19 PM

Spray And Pray

Originally posted by whiteymax
... The only thing I have left is the starter which I replaced six months ago. ...
A properly rebuilt unit is as good as a new one. However, some some sleazy operators buy large quantities of used parts from wrecking yards, test them, and return the bad ones. They take the good ones, clean the exterior, apply a coat of silver paint, sell the parts as "rebuilt", and hope they won't fail during the warranty period. In the business, this fraudulent practice is called "Spray And Pray".