4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car won't start all the time

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 04:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 95SE has had a problem for a little while. Sometimes when I start it, it will start up and die. Went to a mechanic and had them test the fuel pump, it was fine, he diagnosed a knock sensor being bad. Replaced the sensor and the problem still exists. Any suggestions or ideas what can be causing this? The starter was replaced by Nissan about 1 or so ago.
Old 09-10-2001, 05:52 PM

just check a few thinks and maybe that might help

fuel filter? Plugs? timing? injectors? Monster stereo?
all of those can cause a stall.
*shrug* we need more info on when it occurs etc.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: just check a few thinks and maybe that might help

Originally posted by party_boy
fuel filter? Plugs? timing? injectors? Monster stereo?
all of those can cause a stall.
*shrug* we need more info on when it occurs etc.
There is no time in particular when it does this. It could be when the engine's warm or cold. Never thought about the injectors. I haven't had them cleaned in a while. I'll check them and the fuel filter. It doesn't stall when driving only when I first try to start it. Someone once said it's the fuel pump. Who knows what it could be.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:15 PM

Re: Re: just check a few thinks and maybe that might help

Originally posted by Gene Breznay

There is no time in particular when it does this. It could be when the engine's warm or cold. Never thought about the injectors. I haven't had them cleaned in a while. I'll check them and the fuel filter. It doesn't stall when driving only when I first try to start it. Someone once said it's the fuel pump. Who knows what it could be.
Perhaps the fuel rail lost its residual pressure while the engine was not running. Please try this simple experiment. Turn the ignition key to ON, wait 5 seconds, turn the key to OFF. Repeat this ON/5/OFF sequence twice more. This sequence gives the fuel pump extra time to build normal fuel rail pressure. If your engine starts readily and runs well after this sequence, that will confirm this fuel pressure hypothesis.

Possible causes loss of residual fuel system pressure include
- an external leak anywhere in the fuel loop
- a leaky check valve
- a bad fuel pressure regulator
- one or more fuel injectors which sticks open
Old 09-11-2001, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: just check a few thinks and maybe that might help

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Perhaps the fuel rail lost its residual pressure while the engine was not running. Please try this simple experiment. Turn the ignition key to ON, wait 5 seconds, turn the key to OFF. Repeat this ON/5/OFF sequence twice more. This sequence gives the fuel pump extra time to build normal fuel rail pressure. If your engine starts readily and runs well after this sequence, that will confirm this fuel pressure hypothesis.

Possible causes loss of residual fuel system pressure include
- an external leak anywhere in the fuel loop
- a leaky check valve
- a bad fuel pressure regulator
- one or more fuel injectors which sticks open
Tried to start the car this AM and started right up without the ON/OFF sequence. It is intermittent. Shut the car off and waited, started right up again, did this a few times. Really perplexed. Going on vacation, don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-11-2001, 02:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: just check a few thinks and maybe that might help

Originally posted by Gene Breznay

Tried to start the car this AM and started right up without the ON/OFF sequence. It is intermittent. Shut the car off and waited, started right up again, did this a few times. Really perplexed. Going on vacation, don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Do you have an aftermarket intake? With my PR CAI it will stall out when one of the hoses on the intake is lose. Just a thought.

Kirk
Old 09-11-2001, 08:06 PM

hmm....My car does this as well....I don't know what it is...but it always starts sometimes it just takes a few turns of the key....I think it is the Fuel Filter...im just to lazy to change it...maybe this weekend.....
Old 09-12-2001, 04:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: just check a few thinks and maybe that might help

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

Do you have an aftermarket intake? With my PR CAI it will stall out when one of the hoses on the intake is lose. Just a thought.

Kirk

This is exactly my problem. It starts but sometimes it takes a few tries and other times starts right up.