4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 GXE 5 speed tranny problems...Pleas help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 05:59 PM
96SE-R

My friend owns a 95 GXE 5 speed and the tranny just recently started to go haywire.

Heres the symtoms:
on a slow start from a redlight the tranny is fine, it does make a wierd noise, kind of like sand paper rubbing together, but once at speed the noise goes away. But if he punches the gas the tranny trys to pop out of gear around 3500rpm, which results in a high pitch squeel. (sychro's maybe?)

Heres why Im asking this. I always let my friends use my credit cards to hook up their cars, which results in my credit going up, so far its worked very well, and they pay me on time.

So today my friend with the Maxima asked me if I could buy him a Act street/strip clutch, and throw out barring, generally I would say OK.

This time Im hessitant. I know the cars previous owner beat the **** out of this car. Im 100% positive that when he gets the clutch installed, the tech is going to tell him that he needs to buy a new flywheel before he installs it. But since I dont know what that squeeling noise is, Im worried that the mechanic is going to say that there is some internal work needed to be done on his tranny. If this happens, then I know I wouldnt be paid of for a very long time, since the first time I let him use my card it took him 6 months to pay of $150, and he still owes me $222 from his most recent use for his damn 19" tires.

Heres my math:
$222 that he already owes me.
$450-500 for the clutch/throw out barring.

The thing that bothers me is that once his tranny is apart there is no getting my money back if he finds out that his problems is way worse than just a bad clutch. And there is no way in hell Im paying for anything more, if some thing else is wrong with his tranny. So if this happens it means Ill be put on the back burner and not be paid off for a very long time.

Right now the only way I think Im going to do this is if he pays me the full $700 up front.

So have any of you had this problem with your tranny poping out of gear and making a squeeling noise?? or is it just symtoms of a very worn out cluth/flywheel?? Please help if you have any suggestions to what the squeeling noise might be or how much you think it will cost.

Old 09-12-2001, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by 96SE-R
My friend owns a 95 GXE 5 speed and the tranny just recently started to go haywire.

Heres the symtoms:
on a slow start from a redlight the tranny is fine, it does make a wierd noise, kind of like sand paper rubbing together, but once at speed the noise goes away. But if he punches the gas the tranny trys to pop out of gear around 3500rpm, which results in a high pitch squeel. (sychro's maybe?)

Heres why Im asking this. I always let my friends use my credit cards to hook up their cars, which results in my credit going up, so far its worked very well, and they pay me on time.

So today my friend with the Maxima asked me if I could buy him a Act street/strip clutch, and throw out barring, generally I would say OK.

This time Im hessitant. I know the cars previous owner beat the **** out of this car. Im 100% positive that when he gets the clutch installed, the tech is going to tell him that he needs to buy a new flywheel before he installs it. But since I dont know what that squeeling noise is, Im worried that the mechanic is going to say that there is some internal work needed to be done on his tranny. If this happens, then I know I wouldnt be paid of for a very long time, since the first time I let him use my card it took him 6 months to pay of $150, and he still owes me $222 from his most recent use for his damn 19" tires.

Heres my math:
$222 that he already owes me.
$450-500 for the clutch/throw out barring.

The thing that bothers me is that once his tranny is apart there is no getting my money back if he finds out that his problems is way worse than just a bad clutch. And there is no way in hell Im paying for anything more, if some thing else is wrong with his tranny. So if this happens it means Ill be put on the back burner and not be paid off for a very long time.

Right now the only way I think Im going to do this is if he pays me the full $700 up front.

So have any of you had this problem with your tranny poping out of gear and making a squeeling noise?? or is it just symtoms of a very worn out cluth/flywheel?? Please help if you have any suggestions to what the squeeling noise might be or how much you think it will cost.
This response is personal opinion. You have two problems: a credit problem and a transmission problem.

1) You are foolish to let anyone other than your spouse use your credit card. You will learn a painful lesson about this, sooner or later. Probably sooner.

2) The bearings inside the transaxle are bad. This problem will get worse, sooner or later. Probably sooner. The tranny will have to be rebuilt or replaced.
Old 09-12-2001, 06:44 PM

as for the tranny

[QUOTE][i]
Old 09-12-2001, 07:04 PM
96SE-R

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
This response is personal opinion. You have two problems: a credit problem and a transmission problem.

1) You are foolish to let anyone other than your spouse use your credit card. You will learn a painful lesson about this, sooner or later. Probably sooner.

2) The bearings inside the transaxle are bad. This problem will get worse, sooner or later. Probably sooner. The tranny will have to be rebuilt or replaced.
So are you saying the tranny will have to be replaced indefinately???? If so thanks for replying, that means hell have to pay me the full amount up front before I buy anything.

As far as my credit problem goes, my credit has increase by $3000 this year and my interest has dropped from 15.9 to 11.9. So its working fine, and I have been doing this for about a year and a half. And combined they only owe me $227. But your right it isnt a smart thing to do. I should start making them sign contracts

Old 09-12-2001, 08:04 PM
SLOW

My tranny is being rebuilt right now because of a worn bearing. My mechanic showed it to me today, wow the wear is unreal, it should be smooth as glass, instead part of it is like fine grit sand paper.

One question... why would your friend need a new flywheel?

Another question. Why the hell are you letting your friends use your credit card, that's stupidity.
Old 09-12-2001, 08:40 PM
96SE-R

Originally posted by Nealoc187
My tranny is being rebuilt right now because of a worn bearing. My mechanic showed it to me today, wow the wear is unreal, it should be smooth as glass, instead part of it is like fine grit sand paper.

One question... why would your friend need a new flywheel?

Another question. Why the hell are you letting your friends use your credit card, that's stupidity.
from what Ive learned when you wear a clutch out to nothing it scares the flywheel up pretty bad....right? And his clutch went through some serious abuse before he bought the car, and I actually warned him not to buy the car because of how much abuse its previous owner put it through. I told him than tranny wouldnt last...he didnt listen.

As for my credit car deal.....its not as bad as I made it sound.

I let them use my card to buy performance parts off the internet because they dont have one. Most of the time they have the money before I even buy any parts for them. So when the bill comes in its paid off that same month. Like last month I let 2 friends borrow $900.00, 1 paid me off right away, and the other which is the one I wrote this post about still owes me $222 off of a $472 bill for 2 19" toyo's. So Im not going to let him use my card for his clutch unless he pays me the $222 he owes me and then the full amount of the clutch before any transaction goes through. Ive known this kid for 22 years and I also know where he lives, and I also know how to make parts fall, break, and mysteriously dissapear off his Maxima if I need to.