4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Wheels and Rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2000, 06:02 PM
Meth101

Wassup all, I own a Black '98 Maxima SE and I need some help on deciding what kind of tires and rims would fit for my car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about 18's right now but I need advice on where to buy, what brand, and all that good stuff.

-Meth

Old 10-27-2000, 10:46 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Try http://www.tirerack.com
Old 10-27-2000, 10:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Meth101
Wassup all, I own a Black '98 Maxima SE and I need some help on deciding what kind of tires and rims would fit for my car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about 18's right now but I need advice on where to buy, what brand, and all that good stuff.

-Meth
Go to http://www.tirerack.com It will answer yer quesions.
Old 10-28-2000, 06:01 AM

18's look sharp but depending upon where you drive

17's give a better ride compliance and have nice beefy look as well.- Not as easy to dent - and with aluminum wheels - if you dent em that's pretty much it. If you drive on wonderful smooth roads all the time don't worry about it.

for 17" 235/45
for 18" 235/40
These sizes keep your speedometer ratio's close enough.
You can go wider - 245 but then you'll get a bulge sticking out from the wells of the car. Besides - with 235 meat on there your car will stick like an M3. Have fun.
Old 10-29-2000, 04:00 AM

Wheels and tires choices... what to buy

Hello:

If you haven't done any serious suspension mods, I would not recommend 18" wheels...

17" X 8" is plenty big enough... and that option requires coilovers with lower camber angles to keep treadwear even...

Wheels somewhat bigger than OEM is better but way bigger than stock is going back in the wrong direction...

With low profile tires, the overall form of the tire (sidewall and tread shape) is fairly rigid... Due to this, you will need a sufficiently stiff suspension and adequate camber to properly keep the 17" tire option squarely planted...

To keep a good even treadwear on 235/45/17 tires, you will need coilovers (around 350-400LBS/INCH springs) and be running at about -.5 degrees camber or less....

Now 16" X 7.5-8.00" wheels with a 225/50/16 will be more forgiving of less roll resistance (I.E. Eibach pro-kit, H&R springs, etc..) ... Since the overall form of the tire shape is less rigid, then the tread is planted with more even contact pressures even with bigger camber tolerances (due to higher body roll or static camber)...

So why go with big 17" sizes?? Well, the more rigid the sidewalls and tread are, the sharper response you get in steering feel... perhaps better braking feel and performance...

With a strut type suspension, the only way to apprecicably improve the stability of the contact patch is with significantly increased roll resistance... On more sophisticated suspensions (i.e. HONDA/ACURA double-wishbone), the suspension does a much more efficient job of keeping the tires square with the road even with higher body roll... so the car doesn't have to be as stiff... and they also have much less unsprung weight so thats is why you can see HONDA/ACURA cars (or anything with control-arm suspension) with ultra-low profile tires a lot more often...

Old 10-29-2000, 05:58 AM

Re: Wheels and tires choices... what to buy

Originally posted by chris j vurnis
Hello:

If you haven't done any serious suspension mods, I would not recommend 18" wheels...

17" X 8" is plenty big enough... and that option requires coilovers with lower camber angles to keep treadwear even...

Wheels somewhat bigger than OEM is better but way bigger than stock is going back in the wrong direction...

With low profile tires, the overall form of the tire (sidewall and tread shape) is fairly rigid... Due to this, you will need a sufficiently stiff suspension and adequate camber to properly keep the 17" tire option squarely planted...

To keep a good even treadwear on 235/45/17 tires, you will need coilovers (around 350-400LBS/INCH springs) and be running at about -.5 degrees camber or less....

Now 16" X 7.5-8.00" wheels with a 225/50/16 will be more forgiving of less roll resistance (I.E. Eibach pro-kit, H&R springs, etc..) ... Since the overall form of the tire shape is less rigid, then the tread is planted with more even contact pressures even with bigger camber tolerances (due to higher body roll or static camber)...

So why go with big 17" sizes?? Well, the more rigid the sidewalls and tread are, the sharper response you get in steering feel... perhaps better braking feel and performance...

With a strut type suspension, the only way to apprecicably improve the stability of the contact patch is with significantly increased roll resistance... On more sophisticated suspensions (i.e. HONDA/ACURA double-wishbone), the suspension does a much more efficient job of keeping the tires square with the road even with higher body roll... so the car doesn't have to be as stiff... and they also have much less unsprung weight so thats is why you can see HONDA/ACURA cars (or anything with control-arm suspension) with ultra-low profile tires a lot more often...

Nice info, Chris. I have driven over 100,000 miles on two sets of 225/50/16 ZR Michelin Pilot XGT Z4's mounted on O-Z Racing 16 x 7.5 Monte Carlo rims. My suspension is sprung with ST/Tokico, and assisted with Stillen FSTB, RSTB, & RSB.
The wheels look good on the car. They perform MUCH better than stock. They help nurture an image of STEALTHY urban assault vehicle: They do not shout, "Hey, I got wheels!" The springs closed the gap in the fender well by 1.4". I have less dive under braking and better grip to stop, go, and corner. And, of course, I get a lot of compliments about them from friends, associates, and even total [female] strangers... Nice side benefit, huh? Later...
Old 10-29-2000, 06:45 AM

Re: Wheels and tires choices... what to buy

Hello:

I disagree. With my Eibach/Tokico suspension, my camber settings were set to within the specified range, and my 235/45ZR/17s have had even tire wear. Coilovers are not required for 17s or 18s.
Old 10-29-2000, 07:03 AM
Meth101

Re: Re: Wheels and tires choices... what to buy

Thanks for replying people, I got some great information. This is my first time on this site so im a newbie. What mods should I do first? Should I go for the wheels and rims first?

-Meth

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
Hello:

I disagree. With my Eibach/Tokico suspension, my camber settings were set to within the specified range, and my 235/45ZR/17s have had even tire wear. Coilovers are not required for 17s or 18s.

Old 10-29-2000, 07:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Wheels and tires choices... what to buy

Originally posted by Meth101
Thanks for replying people, I got some great information. This is my first time on this site so im a newbie. What mods should I do first? Should I go for the wheels and rims first?

-Meth

Probably a great difference of opinion on this, OK? Personally, I started with handling items:

1. Tires and rims.
2. Suspension Techniques lowering springs & Tokico struts
3. Stillen Rear Sway Bar (RSB)
4. Stillen Front & Rear Strut Tower Braces

I decided that if I were going to increase the HP, I better lay some ground work first... In retrospect, I think I did the right thing. Goodluck.

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
Hello:

Old 10-29-2000, 07:56 AM
tony

So are coilovers needed or not??

Howdy All:

I was getting ready to buy some 17's but can not do coilovers at this time. Are they needed or not?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Best regards,

tony

Old 10-29-2000, 09:07 AM

No, they aren't needed. They are worth the premium over regular springs and dampers for only two reasons: serious road racing and car show competition. If you are just looking for improved street performance, springs and dampers is all you need, and, with correct alignment, you will have no problems. My first set of Z-rated tires lasted for over 20K miles (a little longer than was expected) with regular aggressive driving, and the wear was even. My current tires are doing well, too, with 25K miles and plenty of tread (and I haven't rotated them as much as I should have, either).
Old 10-29-2000, 03:56 PM

Meth,

I recommend you get your car those "new shoes".
Especially new performance tires. The stock tires
(at least on my max) sucked. No Grip. Besides,
what would be the point of more horses or upgraded suspension if your tires can't hang on to the road?