4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: what should i do??
leave the car alone
68.18%
go for it, looks good
31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: vinal body graphics

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 11:35 AM

I was looking around online and found a cool desgin that i was thinking about having made for my maxima.
Id like some feedabck from you guys about the idea i have.

thanks,
Anthony

pic of my max before:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/de498...UlY87A5TBjrNZo
pic of my max after:
(Microsoft Paint)
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/de498...UlY87Aok67M6d_
Old 09-13-2001, 12:33 PM

Your link doesnt work.
Originally posted by ny96maxse
I was looking around online and found a cool desgin that i was thinking about having made for my maxima.
Id like some feedabck from you guys about the idea i have.

thanks,
Anthony

pic of my max before:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/de498...cdW87AwZwSrNZo

pic of my max after:
(Microsoft Paint)
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/de498...cdW87AHRSI8eZb
Old 09-13-2001, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by MaxiPad96
Your link doesnt work.
your link says im forbidden to se it....
Old 09-13-2001, 02:06 PM

think i may have fixed them, try it again guys.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ny96maxse
think i may have fixed them, try it again guys.
still doesn't work

Erik
Old 09-13-2001, 05:54 PM

go here

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a.jpg.orig.jpg

VS

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...9.jpg.orig.jpg
Old 09-13-2001, 06:03 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hhmmmmmmm

I dunno man, I really think you got one of the best, cleanest (obviously) looking Maximas on the org. I like the "blackout" thing, beautiful tint job and the mesh inserts are great, along with the lip.... I'd maybe like to see bigger rims and the whole stillen kit... It's hard to tell if the graphics are a good or not idea, i guess if you are bored of the current look, go for it, it's not that expensive, is it? Try it out, make them a color similar to the mesh grille and the rims, bright silverish color that way it will look stealth and match at the same time... Don't make it as colorful as PJs max, there can only be 1. lol
Old 09-13-2001, 06:05 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

Don't do it.. If your really hell bent for vinyl, simpler is better. Can't you polish something else instead?

My .02
Old 09-13-2001, 07:31 PM

"NOOOOOOOOO!!!! THEY'RE ALL GOING TO LAUGH AT YOU!!!!" Vinal graphics SUCK! go with paint or go home. If you can feel the edge of something it should not be done. They look REALLY tacky in my opinion. But, if that floats your boat, go for it, it is a lot cheaper than pait...but also looks so.

Kirk
Old 09-13-2001, 08:14 PM
SLOW

Vinyl graphics are ghey. They are out of style and only wannabe ricers put vinyl graphics on their cars anymore. Don't get them it looks horrible. Your car looks great as it is, don't ruin it or I, and 99% of the world will be laughing quite hard at you.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:45 PM

One Word

Ugh.

Your car is dead secksey as it is.....keep it that way.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:51 PM
OG

Do whatever it is you want to do man. If you don't like it after you put it on, you can always take it off. Unless you care about what everyone else thinks, do what you gotta do. Be an individual!
Old 09-13-2001, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by SmoothMax
Do whatever it is you want to do man. If you don't like it after you put it on, you can always take it off. Unless you care about what everyone else thinks, do what you gotta do. Be an individual!
You can still be an individual if you PAINT your car, lots of people have the vinal anywas so that would not make you an individual. Not trying to flame you SmoothMax, but at the same time I agree with you that it is up to him. I would never do it to my car, but its not my car in question.
Old 09-13-2001, 10:26 PM
OG

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

You can still be an individual if you PAINT your car, lots of people have the vinal anywas so that would not make you an individual. Not trying to flame you SmoothMax, but at the same time I agree with you that it is up to him. I would never do it to my car, but its not my car in question.
Ditto
Old 09-13-2001, 11:48 PM

What do you know about style? Some people like the graphics, some don't. I don't like the ones he's thinking about, but a lot of graphics look good. For him, I say don't get those. But if someone likes graphics, go for it. They're not out of style. Some of the styles are played out, but vinyl is not out of style.

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Vinyl graphics are ghey. They are out of style and only wannabe ricers put vinyl graphics on their cars anymore. Don't get them it looks horrible. Your car looks great as it is, don't ruin it or I, and 99% of the world will be laughing quite hard at you.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
What do you know about style? Some people like the graphics, some don't. I don't like the ones he's thinking about, but a lot of graphics look good. For him, I say don't get those. But if someone likes graphics, go for it. They're not out of style. Some of the styles are played out, but vinyl is not out of style.

In your opinion anyway. If you want the true "custom" car that you might take to a car show, DO NOT GET VINYL! Go to any car show and count the # of cars with vinyl graphics you see. If it is more than 2 you need to leave the hondas alone and go to real cars. Vinyl is cheap, that means that a lot of people can get them, but it also looks cheap. You can run your finger across the paint and feel the edge - thats just fu*king gae! Most of the time with vinyl graphics you can see the the edge of the graphic! That is tacky. If you are not looking for a show quality job, go ahead and put vinyl on your car, but realize that most of the rest of us will be laughing.

Kirk
Old 09-14-2001, 12:08 AM

Vinyl isn't that cheap. Check into it sometime to see just how much a nice kit costs installed. The benefit of vinyl is that it's changable. I change my graphics every 6 months. Most of the vinyl graphics I see on cars isn't that great, but that's because they were done badly. A nice graphics kit is nice. If it's done nicely, it looks like paint, that's the whole point. I know of people with $5K paint jobs that run vinyl (I'm one of them) so it's not about the money. Most of the painted graphics I see don't look that nice. They're the old fashioned ones because most of them have had it forever. In the domestic and classic car scene, yes paint is preferred, but in imports where the styles change constantly, vinyl is just easier to deal with. If you don't like it, fine. But most of the people aren't laughing. You may be, but then again, the rest of them may be laughing at your car. Who knows. Don't try to speak for "most" people. How often do you go to car shows anyways? I do it as part of my job so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

In your opinion anyway. If you want the true "custom" car that you might take to a car show, DO NOT GET VINYL! Go to any car show and count the # of cars with vinyl graphics you see. If it is more than 2 you need to leave the hondas alone and go to real cars. Vinyl is cheap, that means that a lot of people can get them, but it also looks cheap. You can run your finger across the paint and feel the edge - thats just fu*king gae! Most of the time with vinyl graphics you can see the the edge of the graphic! That is tacky. If you are not looking for a show quality job, go ahead and put vinyl on your car, but realize that most of the rest of us will be laughing.

Kirk
Old 09-14-2001, 12:17 AM

I go as often as i can to car shows. All the vinyl graphics I have seen have been poorly done then, because they all look like crap. Can you post a pic of yours? If yours is as nice as it sounds I will recant my previous statement. I have yet to see a vinyl design that you couldnt see and feel the edge of. I agree that it would be nice to have them change periodically, but from what I've seen they look bad. Please change my opinion.

Kirk
Old 09-14-2001, 01:14 AM

Shadow can't yet. No graphics left on his car after the painting and he's got to let it cure now. He also has to wait 3 months until he can even wash his car.

Some graphics do look terrible. I do all the design work for AP-Signworks yet I don't have any graphics on my car other than a roll call along the side sills. Some of the cars I have done look good while others I question but people are willing to do it and they're usually very happy with our product. 9 out of the past 10 Import Tuner cover cars have some form of vinyl graphics. Almost every other magazine has cover cars w/ vinyl graphics on them. They're a huge part of the import car industry and its been that way since the beginning. Some people like Shadow actually have products they need to advertise so graphics are a necessary part of his car. Companies won't sponsor someone that's unwilling to put their logo somewhere on the car. Completing the package w/ full body graphics is often the next step.

There's going to be a seam on any graphics package but hell some people pay tons of money for paint and they end up w/ flaws in that too. Graphics are by no means cheap if you spend the money for a high quality package. Any car can be done badly in paint, graphics, blackouts, altezzas, etc. There's even a ghettoed out 2G Eagle Talon up here at Cornell pushing a huge FMIC and engine mods yet his paint is falling off and he's rolling on stock wheels. Should he have skipped the all those mods for some touch up paint and some altezzas or perhaps a dual exhaust? Style and function are purely personal choice. Vinyl graphics at least give you a chance to change it if you don't like it. They cost some money but all you have to do is peel when the time comes.
Old 09-14-2001, 01:22 AM

Im not dissing your graphics nor shadow's because I havent seen them. However the ones I have seen look very bad. I understand that if you get sponsered you need to put thier logo on the car and I would only use vinyl to do that, but at the same time I dont think it looks good if you have them all over your car. In The Fast and the Furious they had vinyl and they looked "ok" but nothing great. I see your point about them being easier to use than doing paint, but, as you also said, it is a matter of opinion. I hate them, but if I saw one set done right I might change my tune. I didnt expect Shadow to go take a new pic, I know he just got painted. I just thought he might have some laying around.

Kirk
Old 09-14-2001, 05:10 AM

I just want to clear up something...

The reason why I went vinyl crazy was because I want to see what it would look like. I wanted my maxima to stand out more than the stock one that grandpa is driving next to me. But I also put it on temporarily until I have enough money to repaint my whole car (for those that don't know its going to be Xterra Yellow or Ferrari Fly Yellow). Also... if your thinking about doing some custom paint designs on your car, it would be a good idea to start out with a vinyl prototype because after I while you may want to keep the design or get sick of it. If you get sick of it, at least you can pull the vinyl off. You can't pull paint off, at least not for free anyway.
Old 09-14-2001, 06:41 AM

whoa, thanks for the huge response guys. Well after considering i decided NOT to get them. I realized that i could use that $120 twords the rest of my stillen body kit or get a set of 19's that i have been looking at.

NYCe MaXiMathanks alot for the compliments , i think your right the "all black thing" does look sweet!!

confused Brett i think i ran out of stuff to polish out under my hood. The only thing left is the intake manifold(polished from 1MAX2NV) that will definitly be this winter... but i did recently install a set of twin Hella Airhorns. Very loud might i add lol!!

thanks again guys,

Anthony
Old 09-14-2001, 07:13 AM

hey Ant... tonight we can go crazy with flags and our airhorns on DPA.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:28 AM

Three months?

Originally posted by Mishap
Shadow can't yet. No graphics left on his car after the painting and he's got to let it cure now. He also has to wait 3 months until he can even wash his car
Why 3 months? That seems so long not being able to wash it. I am not doubting you just curious. Man, I was my car maybe 2 times a week and polish about every other and wax every 1 - 1.5 months depending on if it needs it at 1 or 1.5. I know some may think it seems alot but I am kinda fanatical about it being clean. I can spend up to 5 or 6 hours cleaning a car if i feel it neccesary. ( Especially when you get into taking off rims to clean behind them where brake dust collects and stuff, but my friend does comment my very shiny exhaust tip stock on the SE) But it would seem like after three months your car would look like crap without a wash. Does that include even just hosing it down or just meaning not to use harder cleaning chemicals?

Just kinda curious.