4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How much for a new starter :-(

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2000, 08:06 PM

My 98 Maxima has the "Check Engine Light" on and I am thinking that it may be because of my starter. When I attempt to start my car, it takes longer than usual to turnover. Sometimes I have to stop and try again. I also have to press the gas pedal when starting. Never had to do it before. Does this sound like a starter problem?

MJ
Old 10-28-2000, 08:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No. The starter won't light the Check Engine light (at least mine didn't and I've never heard of anybody else's starter doing that). It must be emissions equipment-related.
Old 10-28-2000, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by IBBallN3
My 98 Maxima has the "Check Engine Light" on and I am thinking that it may be because of my starter. When I attempt to start my car, it takes longer than usual to turnover. Sometimes I have to stop and try again. I also have to press the gas pedal when starting. Never had to do it before. Does this sound like a starter problem?
It is not a starter problem. However, the Check Engine Light and the difficult starting may have the same root cause.

The Check Engine Light is evidence that something is wrong. That "something" may be any number of things, some major and some minor. It might be nothing more than a loose fuel filler cap. The Engine Control Module (the computer) detected a problem and turned on the Check Engine Light. At the same time it stored one or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Get someone to do a DTC readout for you. This is not a big deal, does not require specialized "dealer only" test equipment, and should take less than an hour. When you know the stored DTCs, you will have a fair idea of what repairs are needed.

If you like to do your own "wrenching" you can do the DTC readout for yourself. Go to your public library and borrow a Chilton's or Haynes manual for your vehicle. It contains detailed instructions and a table which "translates" the numerical codes into words. No special tools are required. You will also find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset the Check Engine light at Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQs page: http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/
Old 10-28-2000, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by IBBallN3

MJ
i don't know how much has change within the 4th gen car but my 95 max gle with 100k miles. when my starter went back it took me a long time to get it started. then one day it got so bad that when i finally got it to start the check engine lite came on. i kept on driving it and about 4-5 days later it would not start not even crank. battery was good. because everything else was fine. took it to dealer and they change the starter w/ labor and everything it came out to be over 500. check engine lite went away. the starter was the problem. no other problem ever since.
Old 10-28-2000, 09:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check out,

http://www.maxima.driver.com for ECU reading instrustions. It sounds to me it could very well be a starter problem.So get the code and either email me and I will translate it to you or post the code here and either me or someone else will help you out.Also $500 to get your starter replaced damn that such a ripp off,I pesonaly would buy a aftermarket starter with a life time warranty and put it in myself for like only $200.
Old 10-28-2000, 09:43 PM

yeah i know i got ripped off but i was in a hurry and did not trust anyone else. i don't know a good mechanic. i don't know very much about working on cars.
Old 10-29-2000, 06:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Like u I had the same problem, hard start then the check engine light came on…with code 1335 crank position sensor. After changing the sensor problem continued, then I was told the ecu was sending a bad signal…changed that, problem cont. reverted to the crank position sensor again did not help…the Nissan mechanic said the starter would not turn the check engine light on. About 2 weeks ago 3mts after my problem started, they suggested I have the started changed. Since changing the starter the light stays off .I have had the car start then drop revs and die, then on the third start it would drop rev but does not die. So after a 1k $ the new starter solve the problem. Of hard start and the check engine light.

95 MAX SE STILLEN FSTB, TOKICO/EIBACH, STILLEN SLOTTED DRILLED ROTORS WITH METAL MATRIX PADS, STREET LINES AND THE MOUL BRAKE FLUID 116K
Old 10-29-2000, 06:39 PM

Changing the starter was one of the easier things I've done to my car. If you remove the upper portion of the air intake, it's easy to get at. Two bolts, cable to the battery, and one plug. I got a remanufactured one with a lifetime warranty from Autozone for $140, and it looked exactly (even the brand) like the one I took out.