4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch chatter

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 07:17 AM

Clutch chatter

My 99 GXE 5-speed has had clutch chatter since prox 20K miles. Only happens on low gear starts when engine is cold -- worse on humid mornings. In fact, on some very cold and dry winter mornings there is no problem at all. After the first 5-10 starts from stop lights, the chatter goes away. However, the first few starts are really bad. I feel like a 16-year old again learning to drive a stick shift! I never ride the clutch, and have put greater than 100K miles on a Honda and a Volvo with no clutch problems. Am I doomed to replace the clutch disc and pressure plate, or could my Maxima have a hydraulic problem?
Old 09-22-2001, 07:37 AM

Re: Clutch chatter

Originally posted by mwbres
My 99 GXE 5-speed has had clutch chatter since prox 20K miles. Only happens on low gear starts when engine is cold -- worse on humid mornings. In fact, on some very cold and dry winter mornings there is no problem at all. After the first 5-10 starts from stop lights, the chatter goes away. However, the first few starts are really bad. I feel like a 16-year old again learning to drive a stick shift! I never ride the clutch, and have put greater than 100K miles on a Honda and a Volvo with no clutch problems. Am I doomed to replace the clutch disc and pressure plate, or could my Maxima have a hydraulic problem?
Chatter is a rapid slip-grab-slip-grab phenomenon. The clutch engagement is "jerky" instead of smooth. Clutch chatter is felt more than heard. It occurs only while the clutch is engaging, and is most noticeable when starting from rest. As soon as your foot is off the clutch pedal the chatter stops.

Clutch chatter may be caused by, or aggravated by,
- oil or dirt on the friction surface (leaking rear main engine oil seal)
- glazed friction surface (excessive heat resulting from abusive driving practices)
- pressure plate diaphragm spring misaligned
- loose or broken engine mounts

Are you doomed? Your symptoms are limited to the first few drive-offs after a cold start. You may do what many Maxima 5-speed owners (me included) do... just live with it. I regard the clutch in my '99 GXE as a low point in an otherwise fine car. If this clutch ever wears out I will not replace it with Nissan factory parts.
Old 09-22-2001, 09:36 AM
I'm so hood

I share this unfortunate phenomenon. It's been almost two months since I bought my maxi, and I finally put it through a gear or two twice...I noticed both times, when I shifted at around 6k, there was quite the groan from the clutch....I just assume this is among the same line of mechanical cause of the clutch chatter...
I wish the clutch fairy would visit me. It's hard, because I want to replace the clutch, but that's not the cheapest repair to just up and make.
Old 09-24-2001, 06:37 AM

Re: Re: Clutch chatter

Daniel,

Which parts would you use?
Old 09-24-2001, 07:16 AM

Replacement clutch

Originally posted by mwbres
Daniel,

Which parts would you use?
I've owned several stick-shift vehicles, and never worn out a clutch, even after 160K miles. That's a consequence of a moderate driving style and driving in a semi-rural area. Therefore I hope to never face this question.

Chris Frenze expressed satisfaction with the Sachs replacement clutch installed in his Maxima. See http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=48354
Old 09-24-2001, 03:12 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Replacement clutch

I have the 'chatter' too. Cold starts and when it's humid out. I just deal with it. When I replace the clutch, it will be with some type of better performing clutch.
Old 09-24-2001, 03:30 PM
1st97SE

I too enjoy (yeah!) the wonderfull feeling of a vibrating left foot when I start in first gear and again when shifting to second, mostly in humid or wet conditions. I definatley do not have money for clutch replacement, so a few profanities and the vibrations are gone until the next rainy or humid day. It is somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Good luck to all that have to deal with the vibrating left foot.

1st97SE