4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sorry to bother you D.B.Martin

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 11:48 AM

Sorry to bother you D.B.Martin

IF you're reading this, thanks for taking the time. The other day I 'had' to drive through some standing water, about 6 or 7 inches tall, and my car is lowered. It was only for a short distance (10 feet). Once I cleared the water I ran my car a little while to dry any water that may be on/around the engine. Everything seemed fine, no funny noises either. The next day when I went to drive my car I noticed my air compresser sounds as if there is no lubrication in it. I don't know if there is supposed to be, but the sound is kinda dry and grinding, and definitely in relation to enging rpm. Also, the noise seems to lesson when I turn the A/C on. SO I tried to lube the clutch, NO HELP. Do you have an idea what I may expect to find wrong? Need new compresser? Is the clutch replacable? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-24-2001, 11:52 AM
I'm needing a caw

Check the belt that turns the ac compressor. It's probably squealing. Check for the proper tightness and if the belt is dry and cracked. If so, replace it.
Old 09-24-2001, 12:04 PM

Re: Sorry to bother you D.B.Martin

Originally posted by Toolrocks
IF you're reading this, thanks for taking the time. The other day I 'had' to drive through some standing water, about 6 or 7 inches tall, and my car is lowered. It was only for a short distance (10 feet). Once I cleared the water I ran my car a little while to dry any water that may be on/around the engine. Everything seemed fine, no funny noises either. The next day when I went to drive my car I noticed my air compresser sounds as if there is no lubrication in it. I don't know if there is supposed to be, but the sound is kinda dry and grinding, and definitely in relation to enging rpm. Also, the noise seems to lesson when I turn the A/C on. SO I tried to lube the clutch, NO HELP. Do you have an idea what I may expect to find wrong? Need new compresser? Is the clutch replacable? Any help is appreciated.
I suggest you use a length of rubber vacuum hose as a listening aid to pinpoint the origin of the dry grinding sound. It might be the compressor clutch, it might be the idler/tensioner bearing, it might be the alternator...

Some compressors have a clutch which is a separately replaceable item. I don't know if the 4Gen Maxima falls into that category. A call to the parts department of your local friendly Nissan dealer might answer this question.
Old 09-24-2001, 12:07 PM

Vacuum hose used as a listening aid

It is important to identify the source of the noise. A four-foot length
of small diameter rubber vacuum hose will help you do this. You can buy
the hose in any auto parts store. They typically sell it in bulk for about
US$0.80 per foot. Start the engine and let it idle. Put one end of the
hose in your ear and the other end near any suspected source of noise.
The engine compartment presents a cacophony of sound. The benefit
of the hose is that it isolates the sound from one specific area. Work safely!
Avoid contact with any moving parts!

You may find it interesting to explore the sounds of your engine with this
inexpensive tool. Each moving part has its own characteristic sound. For
example, listen to the muted clicking of the fuel injectors. They should
all sound alike. If you find one with a different sound (or no sound at
all) you have found a problem.

The dealer's service department is equipped with high-tech diagnostic
instruments. These are wonderful devices but they are expensive and the
dealer has to recover his cost by charging you for diagnostic time.
Sometimes the home mechanic can do legitimate diagnostic work with
nothing more than a rubber tube.
Old 09-24-2001, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the responses. They're greatly appreciated. I'll add a section of rubber tubing to my shopping list and make the call.