4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trunk release options

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 12:24 PM
I'm so hood

Trunk release options

I used the search tool and read up on some previous threads regarding trunk release options, but still have concerns...

I'm thinking about putting my stereo in, but I want to decrease the likelihood of theft as much as possible. The only main concern I have is when I'm parked at my university, because there's been a lot of quick, sloppy thefts occurring (one day, two right by my maxi when I came out).

Basically, if I can find a relatively easy way to disable the trunk release on the inside door, without disabling the functionality of the remote, I would like to do that. I know a remote's signal can be captured, but I'm worried about petty theft, not people that would record the frequency of my signal and program another remote to reproduce.

I may have to settle on turning the trunk release off and just using the key, I don't know. Other than the issue of trunk access...is there anything else I should be aware of in this field? Like, people being able to force the trunk open with a crowbar or something...
Old 09-24-2001, 12:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am not exactly sure how the remote opens the trunk, if you wanted to find out about disabling the door release, take the door panel off, unhook the trunk release cable, and try using the remote to open the trunk. If it still works, leave the door release cable unhooked. As for other ways, yes people still use crowbars to pop open trunks, but it is difficult if they don't know the car.

PS where do you go to school?
Old 09-24-2001, 12:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Look on the back of the door panel like he said and unclip the trunk button or look for a fuse that has the trunk latch on it, i am not sure if there is one, but you can check..

as for the remote still working, unless you disconnect the two harnesses connected to the metal receiver (silver box) in the trunk next to the jack, you will always be able to use the remote..
Old 09-24-2001, 01:03 PM

Read your owners manual!

There is a trunk release disable switch in your trunk. You just flick it, and the key is the only way to get in your trunk.
Old 09-24-2001, 02:22 PM
I'm so hood

maxima42 - go to school at the University of Nebraska @ Omaha. Some of the closer lots to school aren't school lots and are the ones that get hit relatively hard with theft.

thebigsadler - I think pulling the fuse results in both the release switch and the remote not working, according to past posts. Thanks about the info for the release cable in the door panel, it may be something I'd do.

BRIGBOY - Yea, I tried to show that I was aware of that. Unfortunately, like I allured to, I like the remotes functionality, but may end up settling on just using the key. Thing is, when you want in your trunk, most of the time, your hands are full carrying stuff to put into the trunk.
Old 09-24-2001, 02:37 PM

U can use a custom jack to rip a trunk lid offf

in about a split second.
Old 09-24-2001, 03:03 PM

ya...if they really want it...they'll get it..
Old 09-24-2001, 07:07 PM
I'm so hood

A custom jack? That would have to be pretty custom to be just tall enough to get under the trunk lid & still have leverage to jack.

I know if they really want it, they'll get it, but like I said, I'm out to prevent petty thievery. I have an expensive sub, but just one, in a self-made not-attractive enclosure...decent amp (soon to be another amp to power a comp set)...
Just don't want to get a separate rider for that stuff. I'm very anti-social so no 'enemies' know me/my car/my stereo offhand, and it wouldn't be over-the-top enough to have someone really plan out a theft/try hard to get what I got. Not to mention my car is completely stock (and will stay that way except for a new clutch and maybe some whiter bulbs).

I'll prolly give the hood release cable a try if I can get the door panels off easily.