4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

so my 3rd gear on my tranny is unusable :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 06:48 PM

so my 3rd gear on my tranny is unusable :(

Today I was driving my car and I did a little 0-60 run and when I shifted into third...it felt like I missed the gear....but it also felt much worse....it went into the gear slot but when I took my foot off the clutch my revs just dropped to idle. If I pressed the gas they would climb to redline and there was a horrible sound coming from my transmission. I then came to a stop...and it wouldn't go into 1st or 2nd...or third...so I had to start in FOURTH.....try that a few times. The only way I could get my car into 1st or 2nd was to force it in before I stopped. I barely limped the car to my mechanic tonight...and he'll check it out in the morning...what is everyones take on this? Anyone had to have their tranny rebuild?? What were the symptoms? How much did it cost? Any idea what could be wrong with mine??

Sorry about all the questions...thanks so much guys...this board is always a great help!
Old 09-24-2001, 07:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds exactly like Max98se, and he needs a new tranny, or a rebuild. Sorry for the bad luck.
Old 09-24-2001, 07:52 PM

Re: so my 3rd gear on my tranny is unusable :(

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Today I was driving my car and I did a little 0-60 run and when I shifted into third...it felt like I missed the gear....but it also felt much worse....it went into the gear slot but when I took my foot off the clutch my revs just dropped to idle. If I pressed the gas they would climb to redline and there was a horrible sound coming from my transmission. I then came to a stop...and it wouldn't go into 1st or 2nd...or third...so I had to start in FOURTH.....try that a few times. The only way I could get my car into 1st or 2nd was to force it in before I stopped. I barely limped the car to my mechanic tonight...and he'll check it out in the morning...what is everyones take on this? Anyone had to have their tranny rebuild?? What were the symptoms? How much did it cost? Any idea what could be wrong with mine??

Sorry about all the questions...thanks so much guys...this board is always a great help!
If you are lucky, there is a problem with the shifter or the control rod which connects the shifter mechanism to the tranny. If you are unlucky, there is a problem inside the tranny. Sad to say, the internal problem is most likely.

Back in May of this year you repaired your tranny by installing a detent spring and ball which had been lost by a careless technician. If you care to do some diagnostic work you could remove the three detent plugs, inspect the ***** and springs and replace any which look damaged. Don't remove all three detent plugs at the same time. Remove one plug, make repairs as needed, put it back in, then move on to the next one.

I am not saying this will fix your problem. I am only saying it is worth the time to do this check before resigning yourself to rebuilding the tranny.