4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 09:00 AM

Oil Temperature Gauge

I'm installing a electrical oil gauge, but I am unsure of where to tap into the motor to get the temp. I'm figuring on dropping the oil pan and drilling a hole into it to put the sending unit. Anyone do a oil temp?
Old 09-25-2001, 10:18 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

The best place would be tapping into the oil pan... Good luck
Old 09-25-2001, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm doing an oil cooler incunjunction with the temp gauge. I will be placing the sender in a "T" fitting in the line coming out of the motor. I have to do this because the area behind the oil pan where the pressure switch is already has the SC oil feed line their and soon the oil pressure gauge sender.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:25 PM

Two ideas for your consideration

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
I'm installing a electrical oil gauge, but I am unsure of where to tap into the motor to get the temp. I'm figuring on dropping the oil pan and drilling a hole into it to put the sending unit. Anyone do a oil temp?
Idea #1) Leave the pan in place. Drill through slowly and carefully. The idea is to clear away the drill chips several times before you finally drill all the way through. Then, when you punch through, the outpour of engine oil will wash the few remaining chips out.

Idea #2) Leave the pan in place. Use a good epoxy such as JB Weld to fasten the temperature sensor to the exterior of the pan. If you do this the gauge will read a few degrees cooler than the true oil temperature.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:49 PM

mine has a hole drilled into the oil pan... it works good for me...
Old 09-25-2001, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by theblue
mine has a hole drilled into the oil pan... it works good for me...
what temps do you see?
Old 09-25-2001, 05:49 PM

Re: Two ideas for your consideration

Good ideas!

Do you need to weld put a threaded fitting on the hole you drill or just wrench it in with some sealant gooped around the threads?

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Idea #1) Leave the pan in place. Drill through slowly and carefully. The idea is to clear away the drill chips several times before you finally drill all the way through. Then, when you punch through, the outpour of engine oil will wash the few remaining chips out.

Idea #2) Leave the pan in place. Use a good epoxy such as JB Weld to fasten the temperature sensor to the exterior of the pan. If you do this the gauge will read a few degrees cooler than the true oil temperature.
Old 09-25-2001, 07:06 PM

Re: Re: Two ideas for your consideration

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Good ideas!

Do you need to weld put a threaded fitting on the hole you drill or just wrench it in with some sealant gooped around the threads?

The answer is provided by the installation instructions of your sending unit. If it calls for a threaded fitting you probably ought to drop the pan for drilling and welding. If you try to do the welding with the pan remaining on the engine you risk starting a fire inside the pan.

There are threaded blind fasteners which are liquid-tight. A blind fastener is one which installs from one side of the work piece without access to the other side. One example is called Rivnuts. I don't know if they come in sizes large enough to accommodate the sending unit. If a suitable blind fastener can be used, a plain round hole will suffice and no welding is needed. The threads are part of the blind fastener.

For diagrams and further explanation, go to http://www.atlas-eng.com/about_blindnut.html .