4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

part of the lights went out on the climate control, help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 09:55 AM

part of the lights went out on the climate control, help

i got a 95 gle and the buttons which light up on the climate control don't work, is it a fuse or do i need new bulbs, i got no clue, thnks
Old 09-25-2001, 10:13 AM

Re: part of the lights went out on the climate control, help

most likely you need new bulbs... i had to do the same. ran me about $22 for all the bulbs for climate control. i still dont have the hazzards or rear def, but not worth it... i like it without those illuminated now... goodluck taking it all out, i did it with my stereo
Old 09-25-2001, 10:28 AM

Re: Re: part of the lights went out on the climate control, help

Originally posted by JeepRage
most likely you need new bulbs... i had to do the same. ran me about $22 for all the bulbs for climate control. i still dont have the hazzards or rear def, but not worth it... i like it without those illuminated now... goodluck taking it all out, i did it with my stereo
$22 isn't bad but where do i get those bulbs and how do i get behind the panel
Old 09-25-2001, 11:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: part of the lights went out on the climate control, help

Originally posted by alloutmax

You can get the bulbs from the Nissan dealer. The panel is kinda tricky to remove. You got to take off the top middle air vents, then there 2 screws there that need to be reomved. Remove the shifter panel and the ashtray and there should be 2 more screws that hold the radio panel in, remove those. Now you should be able to llok behind the climate control and you can see that the bulbs ned to be removed using a screwdriver, be careful not to drop nd lose them. Hope this somewhat helps.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: part of the lights went out on the climate control, help

Originally posted by alloutmax

www.courtesyparts.com

Get the parts there, they are fast and there are 4 bulbs to replace, do all at one time to alleviate any further problems. Toolrocks helped me with mine and it seems pretty straight forward on the install.

Ben,
On the hazard and defrost lights, get them at Radio Shack, they are cheap but very intricate on their installation. Again thanks for Steve and his tools, he was able to do it. I would have got frustrated and broke the switch, knowing me !!!!

Do a search to find the bulb #, comes in a pack of two(2).

best of luck to you both!!!
Old 09-25-2001, 11:38 AM

need more info

this happened to me on 96 .. tell me. do all the controls work ? they just don't light up ?

if maybe cooling does not work, or heat does not work... you may be in need of a whole new unit.. but if it's just the lights.. i believe they are big blue LEDs that you can get someone to resolder on there for you.

this happened to me on a stereo install... a chip actually blew out..

the lights did not work ( some did ) but i was not able to control fan speed, temperature, etc.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:45 AM

Re: need more info

its Hall about the defroster and hazard switch lights being out. the bulbs arent the same as the climate control 4?? i just never bothered with them, i remember hearing about radio shack, but never found a match.. i thought it was over the other bulbs.. anyways thanks
Old 09-25-2001, 12:03 PM

Re: Re: need more info

Originally posted by JeepRage
its Hall about the defroster and hazard switch lights being out. the bulbs arent the same as the climate control 4?? i just never bothered with them, i remember hearing about radio shack, but never found a match.. i thought it was over the other bulbs.. anyways thanks
Here ya go...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....rd+light+bulbs

That is the link I used, Good luck!!
Old 09-25-2001, 12:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: need more info

thanks for finding the link... looks ummmm fun??
Old 09-25-2001, 12:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: part of the lights went out on the climate control, help

Originally posted by Cutlr7

www.courtesyparts.com

Get the parts there, they are fast and there are 4 bulbs to replace, do all at one time to alleviate any further problems. Toolrocks helped me with mine and it seems pretty straight forward on the install.

Ben,
On the hazard and defrost lights, get them at Radio Shack, they are cheap but very intricate on their installation. Again thanks for Steve and his tools, he was able to do it. I would have got frustrated and broke the switch, knowing me !!!!

Do a search to find the bulb #, comes in a pack of two(2).

best of luck to you both!!!

when i got to that site what do i type in for search and how do i know they are it
Old 09-25-2001, 01:18 PM
Kevlo for President

Re: Re: Re: Re: part of the lights went out on the climate control, help

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
You can get the bulbs from the Nissan dealer. The panel is kinda tricky to remove. You got to take off the top middle air vents, then there 2 screws there that need to be reomved. Remove the shifter panel and the ashtray and there should be 2 more screws that hold the radio panel in, remove those. Now you should be able to llok behind the climate control and you can see that the bulbs ned to be removed using a screwdriver, be careful not to drop nd lose them. Hope this somewhat helps.

that to conplicated, man that sucks, i hope mine don't go out soon...
Old 09-25-2001, 04:39 PM

Just get Courtesy's phone #. Call em up, tell them you're with the org. and that you need the light bulbs for the ac unit in your car. Piece of cake.

The part # for the bulbs to use in the hazard or defroster switches is Radioshack part #7219

*NOTE* if you feel like saving a few bucks, you can use these same Radioshack bulbs to fix your a/c bulbs. Just be sure to take the blue condoms off your old ones and install them on the new RS bulbs. Enjoy
Old 10-18-2001, 11:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Me too

I know this thread has been dead for a while...but I have the same problem so I am bringing it back to life. Well my temperature light are out too...however the digital display for the temperature is working along with the A/C. The lights for the button on the temperature control such as the recirc., mode, defrost doesn't light up at night. Also the cruise control letters doesn't light up...but the green light for the cuise is working...just the letters for pretty much all the lights don't work. Everything else such as the speedo and bose all work fine.

This happened to me when I was taking the dash and stereo apart. I am sure the bulbs aren't dead because they all went out at the same time. Thanks all for your time.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:49 PM

SupaMaxima,
I don't know if you're asking a question or just making a comment. If your lights didn't burn out what did they do? Fall out? I understand you CC letters don't light up - you can fix that with the above Radioshack part #. That swithc is fairly easy to disassemble.
Assuming you have the AUTO air temp. control - there are 4 bulbs behind the unit. They are small and I got mine from Courtesy. It sounds like yours are bad. If your ac works and the display lights up then your wire harness is connected - so it must be the bulbs.Good luck either way.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Just get Courtesy's phone #. Call em up, tell them you're with the org. and that you need the light bulbs for the ac unit in your car. Piece of cake.

The part # for the bulbs to use in the hazard or defroster switches is Radioshack part #7219

*NOTE* if you feel like saving a few bucks, you can use these same Radioshack bulbs to fix your a/c bulbs. Just be sure to take the blue condoms off your old ones and install them on the new RS bulbs. Enjoy

if you feel like saving a few bucks, you can use these same Radioshack bulbs to fix your a/c bulbs.

What kind of same light at radio shack?? I went there and look for 1 for my climate control light.... they dont have it....

thx
Old 11-22-2001, 07:51 PM

You use this 12 volt bulb. Assuming you have the AUTO temp control - I don't know anything about the manual one - You will need to remove the light socket from the a/c unit. Remove the bulb from the socket by unwrapping its leads. Then use the Radioshack part #7219 bulb and thread its leads into the socket, and reinstall the socket into the a/c unit.
The blue condom wont fit properly though and you'll get kinda a yellowish light. That may not be a problem for you. I eventually ordered 4 new replacements from Courtesy and that's what I'd recommend you do. Good luck. It's nice when all the lights work.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:48 PM

You use this 12 volt bulb. Assuming you have the AUTO temp control - I don't know anything about the manual one - You will need to remove the light socket from the a/c unit. Remove the bulb from the socket by unwrapping its leads. Then use the Radioshack part #7219 bulb and thread its leads into the socket, and reinstall the socket into the a/c unit.
The blue condom wont fit properly though and you'll get kinda a yellowish light. That may not be a problem for you. I eventually ordered 4 new replacements from Courtesy and that's what I'd recommend you do. Good luck. It's nice when all the lights work.
Toolrocks,
were you ever successful at making all you dash lights blue (i.e. A/C Unit and Bose Unit)? I was curious
Old 01-24-2002, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Max96LSU

Toolrocks,
were you ever successful at making all you dash lights blue (i.e. A/C Unit and Bose Unit)? I was curious
Ultimately I ended up using glass stain. I put blue glass stain on the back sides of the A/C and BOSE buttons and they do illuminate blue. They are not as deep or rich a blue as I would like, but they are blue. The only problem is that the displays are still the factory green. I have a lot of colors now on my dash. YUK!! I'll try to get a picture up when I can. I haven't completely given up yet. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:29 PM

I thought about stain glassing the Nissan bulbs then reapplying the blue condom. Maybe this will finally give us the BLUE we are looking for.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Max96LSU
I thought about stain glassing the Nissan bulbs then reapplying the blue condom. Maybe this will finally give us the BLUE we are looking for.
Good luck with your idea. I'm selling out - I am getting the reverse indiglos. They'll give me close enough to the colors I need to start matching up interior lights. You should check em out. They might be what you want.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

how do you take apart the auto climate control?

Does anyone have instructions on taking apart the auto climate control unit? I've got a bulb problem, but I think its only one bulb as only the red up temp button, the auto button, and the econ button are out. It happened after I took apart the console to get at the Bose headunit.

Getting to the climate unit won't be a problem--I know how to take apart the console. However, when I did this I couldn't get one of the connecters to disconnect from the climate control unit. As I recall its the one with just one wire lead--it doesn't look like standard one with the white housing and many wires. I hate to go out and buy a teardown book just for this. I tried and tried to unhook it to no avail. Also, any advice on taking apart the unit once I get it fully out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:24 PM

I have the same problem...

today, my lights went out also. the digital temp still lights up but the controllers are dead. i have an I-30 and was wondering if i can follow the same process in taking out the unit. also, i have wood around that area, will i ruin the wood trim? thanks
Old 03-02-2002, 07:35 PM

Re: how do you take apart the auto climate control?

The harness you speak of should just unsnap. I think this wire is for the daytime lightup display - if you are driving durring the day w/ your headlights on the a/c and radio displays dim, you can use your dimmer switch to brighten the display and I think this is what this wire does. I don't recall exactly how it's connected but look for a tab that you'll have to pry up or something. Just be gentle.
As for opening up the A/C unit it's very easy. ONce you've removed the unit from the car there are locking tabs all around the perimeter of the A/C unit. Unlock these tabs and the A/C unit will pull apart into 2 pieces that make the housing and then of course the circuit board and some other internals will be exposed. If need to replace the A/C units bulbs you don't have to open the case. The bulbs screw in from the back. May I ask why you're opening the case? In any event good luck.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:12 PM

I tried and tried to get the harness off by pressing tabs, twisting, sliding, etc. I'm taking apart the console again next week to install my new pop-out pocket drawer and I'll try to get it off then to get a closer look at the climate unit.

Sorry, maybe I misread when I was searching through the posts. I thought I needed to crack open the climate control unit to access the bulbs. I suspect I have one bulb burned out: upper left.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by dobiegillis
I tried and tried to get the harness off by pressing tabs, twisting, sliding, etc. I'm taking apart the console again next week to install my new pop-out pocket drawer and I'll try to get it off then to get a closer look at the climate unit.

Sorry, maybe I misread when I was searching through the posts. I thought I needed to crack open the climate control unit to access the bulbs. I suspect I have one bulb burned out: upper left.
Cool, well let us know how it goes. I would reccomend replacing all the bulbs if you can. Just so you don't have to pull the unit out again later down the road. I hate removing the center upper vents, I'm afraid those locking tabs are eventually going to break. As a reminder; I got my bulbs from Courtesy Nissan. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:14 AM

Cool, well let us know how it goes. I would reccomend replacing all the bulbs if you can. Just so you don't have to pull the unit out again later down the road. I hate removing the center upper vents, I'm afraid those locking tabs are eventually going to break. As a reminder; I got my bulbs from Courtesy Nissan. Good luck.
Toolrocks, thanks--that's a good idea to replace all the bulbs. One last question, and I hate to harp but I'm still a little confused. Do you have any instructions on installing the bulbs? I didn't look that closely at it when I had the console apart since my focus was on the Bose at the time. Screwing them in the back sounds simple but I hate to get the thing apart and then be confused. I've search the .org for detailed instructions but couldn't find something that was clear. I haven't searched the web yet. I do well when I have instructions but can get lost easily. And you're right about the upper section with the vents being a b*tch to take out. I thought I had broken mine at first. I never pushed it fully back in while the stereo headunit was out for repair. Now I'm ready to put the thing back together.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:59 AM

Yeah, the bulbs are easy. First order the new ones. Then you'll see that they are a small 1/4" inch bulb attached to a small socket that gets screwed in, similar to the gauge cluster bulbs but considerably smaller. Then, when you have the A/C unit out you'll look at the back where you disconnected the wires and there will be 4 indentions where the bulbs will be located. Once you get it apart you'll see how easy it is. Don't sweat it. Two things I can think of: 1>don't remove the blue condoms from the bulbs (they turn the bulbs yellowish light white) and 2> the bulbs are easy to fall out of your hand and lose so I would recommend you take the A/C unit into your house and while over a table switch the bulbs. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:39 AM

do these bulbs behind the a/c and bose controls a special type that can only come from a nissan dealer, or are there aftermarket bulbs (polarg, piaa, etc) that i can replace them with instead?
Old 03-13-2002, 08:42 AM

I would think they're only special order since they have a special base. Should run you under $20 for 4 bulbs...not really cheap I suppose. Toolrocks probably can confirm. It was really easy to put them in.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by ne max
do these bulbs behind the a/c and bose controls a special type that can only come from a nissan dealer, or are there aftermarket bulbs (polarg, piaa, etc) that i can replace them with instead?
The bulbs behind the A/C unit are different from the bulbs in the BOSE headunit. The A/C bulbs are 12volt and from personal experience I would recommend just getting those from Nissan - to my knowledge no one else makes these bulbs other than a Radioshack or somebody like that. Also, the radioshack bulbs aren't direct replacements - they are slightly smaller and to make a bulb from radioshack work is a bit of a pain and doesn't put out quite as much light. So stick w/ Nissan. The BOSE lights are actually soldered onto the circuit board that is behind the face plate. I didn't measure the voltage but to replace them you would have to unsolder the old bulb and solder in a new one. I also don't recall if the BOSE ones were bulbs or LEDs. Sorry I can't help more but good luck.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:04 AM

I just did this.
I ordered the bulbs from www.nissanparts.cc

I found this site to be helpful in showing how to dismantle
the center console.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax2.htm

Hope its helps.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The same thing just happened to me. Did you ever figure out what happened?

Originally Posted by SupaMaxima
I know this thread has been dead for a while...but I have the same problem so I am bringing it back to life. Well my temperature light are out too...however the digital display for the temperature is working along with the A/C. The lights for the button on the temperature control such as the recirc., mode, defrost doesn't light up at night. Also the cruise control letters doesn't light up...but the green light for the cuise is working...just the letters for pretty much all the lights don't work. Everything else such as the speedo and bose all work fine.

This happened to me when I was taking the dash and stereo apart. I am sure the bulbs aren't dead because they all went out at the same time. Thanks all for your time.