4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Auto Tranny ATF Flush/Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 11:58 AM

Auto Tranny ATF Flush/Change

I want to have my auto tranny flush using Mobile 1 ATF Synthetic but none of the places that I've been to can do this. I went to Jiffy Lube where they have a T-Tech Machine that flushes transmission fluid. I was told that they can only use their ATF fluid bc it hooks up to their machine while the transmission is being flushed.

Has anyone here gotten their tranny flush with a T-Tech using their own Synthetic ATF? Or should I pay $80 to have this done and use the drain and fill method using synthetic ATF for 6 wks.

Thanks...
Old 09-27-2001, 12:06 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

An excerpt from the Oil Analysis/ATF sticky post:

My 94 Maxima
I have submitted one oil analysis:

One analysis after 8,500 miles with ULX-110 10W-30 and Mobil 1 oil filter.

I have submitted two ATF analyses:

One analysis after 31,000 miles with the conventional ATF which was put in at 78,000 miles when I had the ATF replaced with the Trans-Tech machine in a Penske Auto Center as described in my wife’s 99 Maxima. This analysis helped to further prove that in general, any conventional ATF should not be used more than 30,000 miles instead of the 60,000 normally recommended by Nissan.

The second analysis was taken 4,000 miles after I began performing a drain and fille with 3 quarts or so of Amsoil ATF for 4 consecutive weekends, with another drain and fill with 3 quarts of Amsoil ATF to take the sample analyzed. This second analysis was taken to show how effective the “drain and fill” method is at flushing out the old ATF and how “new” the synthetic ATF was that I used to replace it.

I believe it to be successful, although for first timers, I HIGHLY recommend having the ATF flushed out with a Trans-Tech machine service first and then draining and filling with a synthetic ATF of your choice. This service will cost between $60 and $70, and the ATF will be $100 or so if you do it by yourself.

I am now resolved to recommending NOT having a shop put the synthetic ATF in there for you when having your ATF replaced with a Trans-Tech machine as you waste several quarts of ATF (you usually have to give them at least 4 more quarts than the system capacity to do the flush). Rather, just opening the drain bolt every weekend and refilling with 2 or 3 quarts of synthetic ATF would be just as effective. Even though the dino will “dilute” the ATF to some extent, since it’s new ATF anyway I believe it will not adversely effect the synthetic ATF. My lab results tend to prove this belief.

My driving conditions include an 18,000 annual mileage, with a 50%/50% highway/city mileage. Very few short trips are ever taken with this vehicle as well. I have never used a drop of oil in the 80,000 miles I have owned this vehicle.

A look forward to the future:

In December 2001, look for a new oil analysis on this vehicle with the Amsoil 5W-30, as I have decided to switch to Amsoil 10W-30 because of my higher mileage and “valve clatter” on cold startup that was not experienced when I was running the ULX (or Mobile 1) 10W-30 viscosity. This sample will probably only have 12,000 miles or so it
Old 09-27-2001, 12:26 PM

Tranny Flush

Thanks bill99gxe... I've read your post numerous times. I just didn't want to hasle with putting the car up on jacks every weekend for 6 wks. Do you know if the flush can be done with the T-Tech using your own ATF?

When using the drain and fill method, did you open the drain bolt and let it drain for a little then tighten it? How would you determine the accurate amount of fluid was drained to fill again? Where would you add the tranny fluid?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm not that mechanically inclined. Thanks for all you help.
Old 09-27-2001, 12:37 PM

Re: Tranny Flush

Don't worry about the questions. It's refreshing to see well constructed sentences and thoughts these days.

Originally posted by Maximum Pursuit
Thanks bill99gxe... I've read your post numerous times. I just didn't want to hasle with putting the car up on jacks every weekend for 6 wks.

I understand. It sucks having to do it that way. Especially on 4th gens, which don't seem to drain a lot of ATF out between changes.

Do you know if the flush can be done with the T-Tech using your own ATF?

It is strictly a shop by shop policy. In my area, it is impossible to find anyone willing to do this as well. Others have easily had success.

When using the drain and fill method, did you open the drain bolt and let it drain for a little then tighten it?

I opened the drain, took it out, and let it drain for 30 mins. Be sure to buy a replacement one with a magnet on the back as alluded to in the sticky posts.

How would you determine the accurate amount of fluid was drained to fill again? Where would you add the tranny fluid?

The ol' "hack off a gallon milk carton jug and use it as a drain pan" method. No more than 2 quarts has ever come out of mine, which is why I recommend the 6 drain n' fills rather than 3-4 that I recommend for 3rd gen Maximas.

You use the transmission dispstick hole to refill (the one that has the red "hat" on it). You may want to get a funnel that fits in that "McDonald's" straw size hole and gets bigger so you can easily refill the ATF. Initially, put maybe 1-1/2qts. ATF in there and then check the level after running the car for 5 to 10 minutes. Then add as necessary. I seriously doubt more than 2qts. will be necessary.

I prefer to drive for a week or so on that, while others like to "driver around the block" and drain and fill again. I don't think the new ATF has time to fully dilute itself in the entire tranny, so I don't recommend this method.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm not that mechanically inclined. Thanks for all you help.
No problem.
Old 09-27-2001, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: Tranny Flush

If I can not find a shop that is willing to use my synthetic ATF then the only alternative is to have them perform the flush and use your "drain and fill" method. Even though it might be a hassle, I think it’s well worth it (if not physically at least psychologically).

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 09-27-2001, 02:18 PM
MDr

Re: Re: Tranny Flush

Bill,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this matter.
I'm curious why you won't use (or suggest)the drain plug located on the bottom of the pan to drain the ATF?

Originally posted by bill99gxe

I opened the drain, took it out, and let it drain for 30 mins. Be sure to buy a replacement one with a magnet on the back as alluded to in the sticky posts.

The ol' "hack off a gallon milk carton jug and use it as a drain pan" method. No more than 2 quarts has ever come out of mine, which is why I recommend the 6 drain n' fills rather than 3-4 that I recommend for 3rd gen Maximas.

You use the transmission dispstick hole to refill (the one that has the red "hat" on it). You may want to get a funnel that fits in that "McDonald's" straw size hole and gets bigger so you can easily refill the ATF. Initially, put maybe 1-1/2qts. ATF in there and then check the level after running the car for 5 to 10 minutes. Then add as necessary. I seriously doubt more than 2qts. will be necessary.

Old 09-27-2001, 02:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tranny Flush

Originally posted by MDr
Bill,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this matter.
I'm curious why you won't use (or suggest)the drain plug located on the bottom of the pan to drain the ATF?

Ignorance and lack of knowledge prevents me from using that. Plus, I was under the impression that it would cause the transmission pan gasket to *possibly* loosen up a tad........

That, and the FSM (at least for the 94, but it looked the same as the 99) suggests using the ratchet square drain.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:31 PM

I took my 12 quarts of Redline D4 ATF to Jiffy Lube and they did the T-tech service on my car for $80 (normal price, $99).

Just call different Jiffy Lubes...some will accomodate your request.