4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

i jsut got PULLED OVER.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 09:43 PM

i jsut got PULLED OVER.....

I was comming home from hockey practice around 11:10pm and the cop turns his lights on. I pull over and wait for him to take his sweet time to get to the MAXIMA. I roll down my wiindow and the usual procedure starts then I asked if I was speeding. He said NO and told me I got pulled over for my tail lights and my frontn turn signals. I have hyper white bulbs in my tail lights and in my front turn signals. I was already driving on a ticiket (court 10-3) so he told me he was gonna give me a break and not write me a ticket. I live in Illinois and I think that that is the gayest law...I mean my lights arent even blue. Its a hyper white..it has like a blue tint...im sure you all know what they are. Thought id share that wiht you cuz i know in Florida anyhting goes. BTW i had my neon blue neon kit on earlier so I thought I was getting caught for having that on or I thought it was on at the time, but I got lucky. goodnight guys, Tom
Old 09-27-2001, 09:55 PM

Nick are you going so say anything?
ohh and in most states you are to have orange or red blinks by law not "hyper " whites
Old 09-27-2001, 10:01 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

hm...
Old 09-27-2001, 10:08 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

It's probably illegal so you shouldn't be surprised when you get a ticket.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:12 PM

white signals

Don't give the cops a reason to pull you over.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:24 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

i'm sure he didn't say to the cop, "oh those are nothing. i just put in a couple of hyper white blubs with a blue-ish tint around them..."
Old 09-27-2001, 10:33 PM

Re: i jsut got PULLED OVER.....

Originally posted by hockeyghst
I was comming home from hockey practice around 11:10pm and the cop turns his lights on. I pull over and wait for him to take his sweet time to get to the MAXIMA. I roll down my wiindow and the usual procedure starts then I asked if I was speeding. He said NO and told me I got pulled over for my tail lights and my frontn turn signals. I have hyper white bulbs in my tail lights and in my front turn signals. I was already driving on a ticiket (court 10-3) so he told me he was gonna give me a break and not write me a ticket. I live in Illinois and I think that that is the gayest law...I mean my lights arent even blue. Its a hyper white..it has like a blue tint...im sure you all know what they are. Thought id share that wiht you cuz i know in Florida anyhting goes. BTW i had my neon blue neon kit on earlier so I thought I was getting caught for having that on or I thought it was on at the time, but I got lucky. goodnight guys, Tom
Gay rule, yes. But it really is a ticketable offense. I asked a McHenry County(far northern county in Illinois) Sheriff once. Unless you have a car that was made before '65, you have to have red or yellow emitting from the front and rear turn signals. Where exactly do you live? I have superwhite(hyperwhite) everything and never have gotten hassled or even gotten a second look before.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:57 PM

Awhile back I got pulled for having hyperwhite rear turn signals, so I just replaced them with Polarg red ones. I believe they are very attracting to the police, they shouldn't be too offended by having hyperwhites in the front though.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:23 AM

I can't stand those bulbs!!!!

A Civic cut me off big time the other day. He had the altezza tail lights with the hyperwhite blinkers in the rear. Driving around in the daytime, those bulbs do absolutely nothing, expecially in the sun. Worst off, I think the clear tail lights couldn't have help since the bulb has nothing to reflect and fill, like the stock ones. I was pretty ****ed, but I'm over it.

I'm in the process of silver coating my amber bulbs, so they look clear when dead, but blink orange when activated. This will make the bulbs perfectly legal and will keep my lenses looking clean.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:33 AM

Okay, this seems like a good place to vent my frustrations. Why in the hell are my damn Altezas illegal in this state. Whay are they illegal at all. What difference could it possibly make if there is to much silver and not enough red in the back? The fat pig said it was cause if i crash at night time, other cars cant see the silver so they wont know my car is there. WTF? silver is shinier than orange or red. What kind of ******* cant see a car stopped on the side of the road anyway? I think that the only reason that any of these mods are illegal is so that young people cant express themselves. Some people do music or play sports, but your car is another way to express yourself, and i dont know about you guys, but I want my car to be different and unique. For some reason fat fuc*ing pigs think it is thier duty to harrass teenagers. While they are pulling me over because my front blinker is white instead of orange, what kind of other crimes could be going on? Thier job is to keep the peace, not harrass citizens because of thier light bulb color. I think NWA says it best: F*ck tha police.
Old 09-28-2001, 02:26 AM

Yeah you can't have anyhing but red or orange for the back, but for the front you can have white actually.
Old 09-28-2001, 04:13 AM

Quit whining

Originally posted by TintDaMax
... I think that the only reason that any of these mods are illegal is so that young people cant express themselves. Some people do music or play sports, but your car is another way to express yourself, and i dont know about you guys, but I want my car to be different and unique. For some reason fat fuc*ing pigs think it is thier duty to harrass teenagers. ...
There are a lot of ways to express yourself through the automotive hobby. Most of them are legal. Find those ways and use them.

Quit whining about the rules. If you don't like them write to your legislators. Better yet, run for public office.

Quit whining about the police. If you don't like the way they do their jobs, join the force and lead by example. Take the oath, put on the badge, and do the job. It's not as easy as you might think.
Old 09-28-2001, 05:05 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by TintDaMax
Okay, this seems like a good place to vent my frustrations. Why in the hell are my damn Altezas illegal in this state. Whay are they illegal at all. What difference could it possibly make if there is to much silver and not enough red in the back? The fat pig said it was cause if i crash at night time, other cars cant see the silver so they wont know my car is there. WTF? silver is shinier than orange or red. What kind of ******* cant see a car stopped on the side of the road anyway? I think that the only reason that any of these mods are illegal is so that young people cant express themselves. Some people do music or play sports, but your car is another way to express yourself, and i dont know about you guys, but I want my car to be different and unique. For some reason fat fuc*ing pigs think it is thier duty to harrass teenagers. While they are pulling me over because my front blinker is white instead of orange, what kind of other crimes could be going on? Thier job is to keep the peace, not harrass citizens because of thier light bulb color. I think NWA says it best: F*ck tha police.

I seriously doubt that Altezzas are illegal. The dude was probably just hassling you. IF you want to win, you have to get out and do your own research of the vehicle code where you live. I'm fairly sure you will find nothing about the legality or illegality of altezzas...I mean what about vehicles that come with them OEM???
Old 09-28-2001, 05:21 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i got a ticket for blue lights once

i had them in the clear section of the rear tail lights. orginally the cop pulled me over for my exhaust and then he seen the tail light with the high speed blinkers and blue bulbs & wrote me a ticket for that. i took the blue bulbs out the next day. the less attention i get from the cops the better. i have way to much time in court to be going back for some blue bulbs.
Old 09-28-2001, 05:49 AM

Re: Quit whining

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
There are a lot of ways to express yourself through the automotive hobby. Most of them are legal. Find those ways and use them.

Quit whining about the rules. If you don't like them write to your legislators. Better yet, run for public office.

Quit whining about the police. If you don't like the way they do their jobs, join the force and lead by example. Take the oath, put on the badge, and do the job. It's not as easy as you might think.
well said , cop are only doing their job, they didnt make the rules.
Old 09-28-2001, 05:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Same deal as Nismo2020... ended up paying $20 plus wasting a day at court...
Old 09-28-2001, 06:01 AM

Re: Re: i jsut got PULLED OVER.....

Originally posted by Gotrice4

Gay rule, yes. But it really is a ticketable offense. I asked a McHenry County(far northern county in Illinois) Sheriff once. Unless you have a car that was made before '65, you have to have red or yellow emitting from the front and rear turn signals. Where exactly do you live? I have superwhite(hyperwhite) everything and never have gotten hassled or even gotten a second look before.
i live near joliet (like 45 min away form chicago) i also have all hyper white bulbs and signals for a ling time now....probablby about 8 monhts..and last night was the only time i got stopped for it.....ive even been pulled over 2 other times for been mistaken as a getway car from a scence of a crime and the cop just looked at my lisence and left he didnt even tell me anyhting.....and iv also been at opposite sideds of an intersection with a cop witht my turn signals and they have never bothered me before.......and i have been to chicago and out of state....same thing no one bothered me.........thanx for ut input guys.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:00 AM

Altezzas are street legal. But you need to keep normal bulbs in them so they light up nice and red, especially when braking. If they light up white, what do you think some guy driving about 200 feet behind you on the freeway might think? That you put the car into reverse? Get some red bulbs, they will make the tails look even better and get rid of that dumb pinkish color.
About the turn signals, In most states if not all, the turn signals must light up orange. Clear corners look good either way, get some amber bulbs which the corners should have come with.... No big deal.
Old 09-28-2001, 08:52 AM

Re: I can't stand those bulbs!!!!

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
A Civic cut me off big time the other day. He had the altezza tail lights with the hyperwhite blinkers in the rear. Driving around in the daytime, those bulbs do absolutely nothing, expecially in the sun. Worst off, I think the clear tail lights couldn't have help since the bulb has nothing to reflect and fill, like the stock ones. I was pretty ****ed, but I'm over it.

I'm in the process of silver coating my amber bulbs, so they look clear when dead, but blink orange when activated. This will make the bulbs perfectly legal and will keep my lenses looking clean.
Are these the bulbs your talking about? Silver Vison Bulbs I wish they had them for the Max. I bought this for my other car and they hide the orange color pretty well when not in use.
Old 09-28-2001, 11:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You may only clear out the rear lights if they are the reverse lamps
which must be white in color.

Many newer models are coming with red and clear lenses in the rear.

Never really researched this before; but would a clear lens reflect farther in fog than an orange lens? For example, lets assume your car was disabled and lights out in foggy conditions... At long distances, the reflections from lenses are the first things to show up before the outline of the car can be determined when getting closer. I'm guessing that light reflecting off an orange lens would contrast more in fog than light reflecting off a clear lens. I think that is really an extreme case and 99% of the time a clear lens with an amber bulb emitting amber light would work just as well.

But usually regulations are made for the worst case scenario.
If you don't like big orange turn lenses in the front, many new cars have small and unobtrusive side markers.

P.S. To TintDaMax:

Police have to deal with the worst elements in society every single day. (assault, murder, theft, domestic violence, drugs, restraining orders, ... in addition even more grim tasks such as being the ones who must drive up to a home and break the news to a mother that their child was killed in an accident ) They have more things to concern themselves with than dreaming up rules to antagonize people who modify their car. If the color of your lenses is the basis for your personal expression, you need to find new priorities in life... Have you ever made a new friend, landed a date, or found a job because of your clear lens?
Old 09-28-2001, 11:54 AM

Re: Re: Quit whining

Originally posted by Kashoggio

well said , cop are only doing their job, they didnt make the rules.
cops should give people tickets for whining.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:46 PM

for the clear corners in the front I have orange bulbs but I took some high heat paint and sprayed the top of the bulb so you cant see the orange. When the bulb blinks its orange. Just a cool little thing some people might want to know.
Old 09-28-2001, 02:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BrianV
Yeah you can't have anyhing but red or orange for the back, but for the front you can have white actually.
You sure about that Brian? Hyperwhites in the front is ok? Currently, I have amber bulbs in the front and back. Maybe I should keep this setup because I haven't had a ticket since.
Old 09-28-2001, 11:14 PM

Hold on a minute people, maybe I should have been more clear. Im glad there are cops to protect us, but what do my cars light bulbs have to do with the protection of society? Absolutley nothing. And im not just basis this on the number of times that I have been pulled over. I am a teenager, and I have been harrassed because of my age so many times that I know the names of most of the cops in my city. I have been arrested because me, a white guy, looks like a Mexican who had robbed a McDonalds. Not just arrested, I had 4 officers pointing a shotgun at my head while another cop had his pistol almost against my head. I have been questioned because I "looked suspicious". I was sitting in my car one night with my friend, thinking of what to do, a pig saw us, called back up (with police dogs) and interogated us. And I have been pulled over and been given citations countless times because of my fuc*ing light bulb color!!!!!! Maybe you can understand why I am "whining", but if you cant, imagine being my age, in my city where the cops have NOTHING better to do than harrass teenagers.
Old 09-29-2001, 01:05 AM

you didn't think to change your bulbs after the first ticket?

Old 09-29-2001, 03:29 AM

i've had similar experiences and I think cops really should worry about the more grim aspects of their jobs than harrassing us teens because we drive nice cars. I have hyperwhite front turn signals and blue reverse lights (check the sig). Never been bothered so far but im getting my windows tinted today (20% mirror all around) and we'll see how many times I get pulled over now...
Old 09-30-2001, 04:36 PM

its a law, if you want try to change it. Its only orange blinkers, its not the end of the world if you have orange blinkeres