4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Check engine light problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 11:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check engine light problem

The check engine light was on in my car and when I did the ecu test, it gave me code 0505. I know this means that the ecu is working fine and there are no problems as per bill's sticky;

"DTC 0505
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0505 is "All Clear". It means the Engine Control Module is working and no trouble codes have been set.

However, Diagnostic Trouble Code 0505 does not mean nothing is wrong with the engine. All it means is that the Engine Control Module has not recognized a problem. There are some aspects of engine operation which the ECM does not check and therefore cannot diagnose. One good example is fuel pressure. There is no fuel pressure sensor, so there are no "low fuel pressure" Diagnostic Trouble Codes."

now my question is, i reset the ecu thinking that it would help, but once again the check engine light is on. Also would an exhaust leak cause the light to go on? I am not sure about the exhaust leak, but it definitely sounds like it. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:32 PM

Re: Check engine light problem

Originally posted by mechanic
The check engine light was on in my car and when I did the ecu test, it gave me code 0505. I know this means that the ecu is working fine and there are no problems as per bill's sticky;

"DTC 0505
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0505 is "All Clear". It means the Engine Control Module is working and no trouble codes have been set.

However, Diagnostic Trouble Code 0505 does not mean nothing is wrong with the engine. All it means is that the Engine Control Module has not recognized a problem. There are some aspects of engine operation which the ECM does not check and therefore cannot diagnose. One good example is fuel pressure. There is no fuel pressure sensor, so there are no "low fuel pressure" Diagnostic Trouble Codes."

now my question is, i reset the ecu thinking that it would help, but once again the check engine light is on. Also would an exhaust leak cause the light to go on? I am not sure about the exhaust leak, but it definitely sounds like it. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.
Please do another Diagnostic Trouble Code readout.

Perhaps you got that 0505 because you inadvertently reset the Engine Control Module before reading the codes. Don't be embarassed, that has happened to plenty of people. Now you have another chance to read the DTCs.
Old 09-30-2001, 02:09 PM

Screw clockwise once, then back to the original position for the error code, do it twice to erase it.
Old 09-30-2001, 03:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by medicsonic
Screw clockwise once, then back to the original position for the error code, do it twice to erase it.
thats what i thought i did... i'll try it again and see what code it gives.