4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Speedometer/odometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 07:18 PM
jw38

Speedometer/odometer problems

My speedometer in my 99 Maxima SE with 39500 miles on it just stopped working, along with the odometer. The dealer says it will cost over $700 to fix it because the car is out of warranty. Does anyone know if a junkyard replacement will work? If so, how do I get it to read the correct mileage? This really sucks!

Old 10-01-2001, 07:20 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Refer to your handy haynes manual for the procedure for testing the vehicles speed sensor...there's no way THAT is a $700 part.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Refer to your handy haynes manual for the procedure for testing the vehicles speed sensor...there's no way THAT is a $700 part.
Mzmtg has put you on the right track.

If you replace the speedometer you may wind up with the TMU stigma. (TMU = True Mileage Unknown, on your title.) This adversely affects resale value.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

If you replace the speedometer you may wind up with the TMU stigma. (TMU = True Mileage Unknown, on your title.) This adversely affects resale value.
Couldn't you get it certified or something?
Old 10-02-2001, 10:09 AM
jw38

Re: Speedometer/odometer problems

Originally posted by jw38
My speedometer in my 99 Maxima SE with 39500 miles on it just stopped working, along with the odometer. The dealer says it will cost over $700 to fix it because the car is out of warranty. Does anyone know if a junkyard replacement will work? If so, how do I get it to read the correct mileage? This really sucks!
Thanks for the suggestion but I had my dealer look at it and he said that the problem is in the speedometer housing. The speed sensor is working fine. The dealer says I need a new speedometer/odometer cluster. He can set it to the correct mileage, but I really can't see paying $700 for the parts! He's telling me that if I put a used one into the car, it will be damaged by the computer because the mileage is recorded electronically. Any idea if this is true? I'd like to get a used one and have someone reset the mileage, if that's possible.

Old 10-02-2001, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Ravq

Couldn't you get it certified or something?
You can avoid the TMU headaches by going through the Nissan dealer. Expect to pay a high price.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:41 AM
jw38

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
You can avoid the TMU headaches by going through the Nissan dealer. Expect to pay a high price.
So will a used cluster damage the car's computer? I think I can find a used one and then have it reset by the dealer.

Old 10-02-2001, 10:57 AM

jw38,

I talked with a friend of mine who is a Nissan Technican. He recommended buying a used cluster, about $100-$200 from a junkyard and installing it yourself. He said it's real easy to install and should take a novice about an hour. He said it would be impossible for anyone to know it has been replaced. He said if you were to go to the dealer, they would hold your until it was repaired because they order a new speedo with the exact mileage the car came in with. Once the tech installs the new speedo, he would attach a sticker to your car certifying the replacement speedo was installed by Nissan with the correct mileage. An entry would also be made in their "corporate" computer that the speedo has been replaced. This is done to ensure your mileage is never questioned.

Enlight of Nissan's elaborate procedure, we agreed if you fix it yourself, your car will not be marked TMU. In order for that to occur you would have to mark the title yourself or if you were to trade it in, the dealer would have to mark the title. I doubt any dealer would do this because the car is worth substantially less. My tech friend also said the computer and the speedo are not linked and the computer DOES NOT store mileage. I know some of the members will disagree but I take his word since he is a trained Nissan tech.

I hope this info helps you.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:03 AM

TMU is a legal problem, not a technical problem

Originally posted by Jason96GLE
jw38,

I talked with a friend of mine who is a Nissan Technican. He recommended buying a used cluster, about $100-$200 from a junkyard and installing it yourself. He said it's real easy to install and should take a novice about an hour. He said it would be impossible for anyone to know it has been replaced. He said if you were to go to the dealer, they would hold your until it was repaired because they order a new speedo with the exact mileage the car came in with. Once the tech installs the new speedo, he would attach a sticker to your car certifying the replacement speedo was installed by Nissan with the correct mileage. An entry would also be made in their "corporate" computer that the speedo has been replaced. This is done to ensure your mileage is never questioned.

Enlight of Nissan's elaborate procedure, we agreed if you fix it yourself, your car will not be marked TMU. In order for that to occur you would have to mark the title yourself or if you were to trade it in, the dealer would have to mark the title. I doubt any dealer would do this because the car is worth substantially less. My tech friend also said the computer and the speedo are not linked and the computer DOES NOT store mileage. I know some of the members will disagree but I take his word since he is a trained Nissan tech.

I hope this info helps you.
I agree with all of the above. The TMU problem is a legal problem, not a technical problem.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by jw38

So will a used cluster damage the car's computer? I think I can find a used one and then have it reset by the dealer.
i have a used cluster in my car i got it from a junkyard and everythign seems to be working fine......although i didnt take it to the dealer tog et the right mileage put back on......i took my old cluster apart and i know how to set the miles back but it is very hard cuz everythign has to align perfectly......
Old 10-02-2001, 11:45 AM
jw38

Originally posted by hockeyghst

i have a used cluster in my car i got it from a junkyard and everythign seems to be working fine......although i didnt take it to the dealer tog et the right mileage put back on......i took my old cluster apart and i know how to set the miles back but it is very hard cuz everythign has to align perfectly......
Thanks for the info, but my odometer is digital so it has to be adjusted electronically. Does anyone out there know where I can get a used DIGITAL odometer? None of the junkyards around here have any.

Old 10-02-2001, 03:25 PM

jw38,

From what I understand, the digital odo cannot be "reset" to your miles. If you buy a new unit from Nissan it can be order with your miles. Best bet is to search the web and find a used one with as close the mileage you can find. Try copartfinder.com. Other members have posted online junkyard search engines so use the search feature on the org.