4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Top Speed...I know it's dangerous, but....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 08:40 AM

Re: POP Charger decreases top speed??

Originally posted by dwapenyi
What's this?? How can that be? I assume when you guys mention cone intake you're talking about the POP charger. With all the dynos we've seen you would think that the POP charger would make the top speed better. Can someone explain this?

I have a CAI and before I got my Y pipe, I would feel a lull from 120 to 140 mph. I would still get there, but not as quickly as when i was stock. I guess because when I was stock, the torque was very linear. Now, the CAI torque curve does not feel as linear. The torque is bigger than stock, but not as linear.

Now that I have the Y pipe, The rush is steady right up to 140. It seems that the lull was also affected by exhaust restriction, resulting in a somewhat flatter torque curve.

DW
Intake velocity, simple as that. The engine requires a specific amount of air at any particular moment. This air must go through the filter, the MAFS the TB, and the intake manifold in order to be used. With the stock airbox, the air comes from the scoop, through the baffles in the airbox then into the intake system. The air has to be moving at a higher velocity than a cone filter only intake because of of all the extra distance it must travel. Therefore, there isn't as much a change in velocity in air from idle to actually getting underway. I would assume that this holds true throughout the entire power range. The same holds true for the exhaust in NA cars. It is the escape velocity that is more important than the exhaust diameter size.
Energy is wasted accelerating the air from 0 to whatever speed it is going once it passes into the MAFS. Maybe this would account for the loss in low end power.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

130 and pulling in downtown toronto.... never again without a brake upgrade... it just takes way too long to slow down.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:57 AM

Re: Re: POP Charger decreases top speed??

Gotcha. Thx! Glad I got the CAI!

DW

Originally posted by medicsonic

Intake velocity, simple as that. The engine requires a specific amount of air at any particular moment. This air must go through the filter, the MAFS the TB, and the intake manifold in order to be used. With the stock airbox, the air comes from the scoop, through the baffles in the airbox then into the intake system. The air has to be moving at a higher velocity than a cone filter only intake because of of all the extra distance it must travel. Therefore, there isn't as much a change in velocity in air from idle to actually getting underway. I would assume that this holds true throughout the entire power range. The same holds true for the exhaust in NA cars. It is the escape velocity that is more important than the exhaust diameter size.
Energy is wasted accelerating the air from 0 to whatever speed it is going once it passes into the MAFS. Maybe this would account for the loss in low end power.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:58 AM
PhatGuy

In downtown Toronto???? On the Don Valley Parkway? Or on a city street?

Originally posted by theblue
130 and pulling in downtown toronto.... never again without a brake upgrade... it just takes way too long to slow down.

Old 10-05-2001, 08:58 AM

Re: Here are some pics..

Originally posted by jnmunsey
I hit 143 last Fall but the pic I took only shows 139. Of course that is what the speedo says so it may be way off..

Go here and click on the images:

http://www.munsey.net/maxima/
Wow!!! Were all three pictures taken on the same day? Cuz if they were at 125mph you had 3/4 of a tank and at 140mph you were at HALF a tank. Could you really burn that much gas just for more 5mph???
Old 10-05-2001, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Here are some pics..

Originally posted by Max96LSU

Wow!!! Were all three pictures taken on the same day? Cuz if they were at 125mph you had 3/4 of a tank and at 140mph you were at HALF a tank. Could you really burn that much gas just for more 5mph???
Old 10-05-2001, 09:12 AM

Re: Here are some pics..

Niiice road to test out on. Curious, how long did you hold it at top spped for? Looks like you could have gone on for a while.

I took a rod trip out to Iowa and in while in Indiana, I beleive on route 74, I held my speedo pegged at 140+ for like 3 minutes. Those highways in the plains states are freaking fantastic! We got the autobahn right here in the U.S., well, except for those damn speed limits. The 75 mph limit wasn't bad. I even flew by a cop going the other way doing 100, he clocked me, my V1 went berserk on kA. He didn't come after me. 100 felt like absolutely nothing out there.

DW

Originally posted by jnmunsey
I hit 143 last Fall but the pic I took only shows 139. Of course that is what the speedo says so it may be way off..

Go here and click on the images:

http://www.munsey.net/maxima/
Old 10-05-2001, 09:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Here are some pics..

Originally posted by SprintMax
DUDE? Why you laughing. Oh wait, ****!!!! I put 5 mph instead of 15 mph. Nevermind...lol.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:08 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by rOaD bEaSt
Guys with 5 speed only ..

I wanna ask you something don't you hit the red line in the fifth gear ..

I was having only exhuast, filter , twin power ..
My exhaust was made here not stillen one ..

I was hiting the red line I was geting 6600 at red line ..

But I wanna tell you something I speed in my car everyday ..
Maybe that's why you don't hit the red line ..
Crazy Gulfies!

In UAE, they drive at ~100mph on the highways!
Old 10-05-2001, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Here are some pics..

Originally posted by Max96LSU

DUDE? Why you laughing. Oh wait, ****!!!! I put 5 mph instead of 15 mph. Nevermind...lol.
no i wasn't laughing at that.. i was laughing at the thought.. that he wasted that much gas on short time.. you have a great eye.. i wouldn't have caught that..
Old 10-05-2001, 10:37 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by CoolMax

Crazy Gulfies!

In UAE, they drive at ~100mph on the highways!
Hell, they drive 75+ in the streets, I thought that damn cabbie was gonna kill us!
Old 10-05-2001, 11:03 AM
SLOW

And I got 6700 while cutting my friend air I don't know really what do you call it over there ..?
I assume you mean driving close behind him so that you have less air resistance... we call that drafting.

Road Beast... do you know if you have the VQ30DE or VQ30DD... that could make up for the differences between your car and the US cars.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
In downtown Toronto???? On the Don Valley Parkway? Or on a city street?

not sure... I was just tring to keep up with the other 5-10 maximas in front of me.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:22 PM

140 mph on the Florida Turnpike in my 4th Gen
Old 10-05-2001, 04:56 PM

For the record, when I drive on the track, I get between 8-10 mpg. Okay, I'm a nerd and figured it out
Old 10-05-2001, 05:02 PM

larger wheels/tires

Even if the larger wheel/tire setup doesn't affect your top speed as Daniel stated, your spedometer would be reading a lower speed than you are actually going *if infact* your entire tire circumference is larger than the stock setup.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:39 AM

I just hit 131 yesterday, up from 128. I might have been able to get more but traffic was catching up fast. My friend was on my bumper throughout in his 91 'vette.
Old 10-06-2001, 01:46 PM

Re: Hey maximaracer28

Originally posted by Trippy_D
the reason his car looks different to yours is probably cause the Maximas in NZ and Australia have a slightly different appearance to those in the states. (I live in australia and have an australian maxima) It does look more like the I30 you guys have over there.
want to join us for the next Maxima Meet? :laugh
Old 10-06-2001, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by theblue
I am at the 52 Division in Downtown, so I'll keep my eyes open for you
hehehe
Old 10-06-2001, 02:42 PM
JET Speed Lab

Old 10-06-2001, 04:19 PM

topped out at 130 before I wussed out and let go of the pedal. damn thats fast. i frequent 110-120 every day though
Old 10-07-2001, 02:22 AM

anyway.. you guys shouldn't be driving that fast.. its against the law and you have no moral respect for other people on the road.. you should all have your license taken away and sent straight to jail.. anyone who does over 70 mph is a fvcking moron...

SprintMax,

On the one hand, with respect to anyone who drives at the speeds mentioned in this thread in the company of other cars on the road or where other persons or property are at risk, I wholeheartedly agree. No one should drive at these speeds in an environment that risks the wellbeing of anyone other than the driver himself. In fact, if you're one of these people who either finds himself driving in situations like the above described, and/or doing it "frequently" ie: "every day," then you should seriously look into spending some time at the racetrack to get it out of your system there.

On the other hand, if anyone tries to tell people here that they should "NEVER EVER" take their very road-worthy performance sedans over 70 mph, I would have to respectfully tell them to get their Ralph Nader sympathizing a*s and the horse they rode in on the h**l outta Dodge.

Perhaps you should sell your Maxima in favor of a car that's a little better suited to your feeble disposition. I'm thinking maybe a Geo Prizm? I bet you practically wet yourself with excitement as you consider the prospect of a world where everyone has a car that self-destructs if it passes beyond 75 mph.

If YOU wanna keep it under seventy, fine. Just make sure your a*s is in the right lane when I come up on you in traffic. You sound like one of these people who f***s up the whole traffic flow by hanging out at 50 mph in the passing lane (yes, that's right, it's called a PASSING LANE for a reason) just to force your ethos on everyone else.

Again, just to clarify - I do not advocate driving at excessive speeds on open roads in situations where other's lives are in danger. Period.

-K-

P.S: "Ever notice that everyone who drives slower than you is an idiot and everyone who drives faster than you is a moron?"

-George Carlin

yes morons!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2001, 06:12 AM
Administrator

KWheelzSB i know you can't see it now because my server is down.. but that picture was a picture of my car doing 130 mph.. it was a joke.. i was being sarcastic
Old 10-07-2001, 06:54 AM

KWheelzSB i know you can't see it now because my server is down.. but that picture was a picture of my car doing 130 mph.. it was a joke.. i was being sarcastic
Ok, now I understand. Without the benefit of a wink [ ] or something, I'm left to take your comments at face value in this cryptic written environment here. No worries. Sorry I flamed you.

I guess I just get a bit agitated when I think I hear the
"we need someone to help save us from ourselves"
chorus starting to warm up. I'm comfortable with as little government interference as is reasonably possible in civilized society and letting good 'ol social Darwinism dictate who stays and who goes, if ya know what I mean.

What can I say, I'm a cold-hearted realist.

Cheers,
KWheelz
Old 10-07-2001, 07:10 AM

Btw,

Your Maxima looks sharp! I like the animated .gif collage you put in your signature - it really represents!

l8r,

KWheelz
Old 10-07-2001, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Riot^

I am at the 52 Division in Downtown, so I'll keep my eyes open for you
hehehe
OK... because I won't be doing that again any time soon
Old 10-07-2001, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by BlkStnValyMaxima
I hit 140 in my 97 GXE 5-speed. I have a CAI, oh yeah and almost 85k miles.
how did you hit an "indicated" 140mph in your gxe 5 speed? my car tops out at an indicated 118mph before the fuel cut off kicks in...these blasted GXE ECU's!