4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Help With BRAKE Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 01:39 PM

Need Help With BRAKE Problem...

I changed my front pads last sunday. I had the rotors cut, and I used Nissan pads. I drove it around for a few days (probably around 80 miles total) and next thing I know, they started making a horrible grinding noise. It sounds like something is rubbing against something else. Its not a squealing noise, but more of a grind. It happens when I'm slowing down when I approach a stop sign, or a traffic light. I have to hit the brakes kinda hard for the noise to occurr. I took the brakes apart 2 more times after this started happening, but to no avail. I took the rotor off and on as well. The only thing i could think of was that the rotor wasn't cut right. The guy who cut them said he had some trouble with the one, but he said it was alright. Anyone have some other ideas??

Ken
Old 10-06-2001, 03:36 PM

Are both sides of the car making the same noise? That should help narrow it down if it is the rotor. When you took the brakes apart, did you notice any shiny metal on the edges of the rotor or anyplace on the caliper that might indicate rubbing? My only other guess is that the pads aren't interacting well with the new surface on the rotor? Just trying to throw ideas out for discussion. Good Luck
Old 10-06-2001, 04:03 PM

A groaning noise is characteristic of warped or out of round rotors. A grinding noise sounds like a sticking caliper or the pad vibrating against the caliper (pad not installed correctly). Did you use Nissan shims for the brakes?
Old 10-06-2001, 05:27 PM

Only the right side of the car is making the noise, and there wasn't any sign of rubbing on the rotor. (no deep scratches, ect.) The grinding doesn't happen all the time and the pads are installed correctly (kinda hard to mess that up on a maxima). I didn't use shims cause they didn't come with the pads. I was under the impression that you only used shims when they came with the pads, but i could be wrong. The guy at the dealership didn't say anything about shims. i did use that blue goop that you put on the back of the pad. That stuff is supposed to improve the contact with the caliper. Thanks for the input, hopefully we can figure this out...

Ken
Old 10-06-2001, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I somewhat have the same problems...I plan to get my pads changed soon...I also hear like a sandy metal grinding against another. My E-Brake light is on most of the time. Sometimes it goes away what the car is used for a little while but then it might come back. I'm not sure what to do...but first i'll get my pads changed.
Old 10-06-2001, 05:36 PM

Okay another idea,

Does the noise come after you've been driving a while and there's some heat in the rotors, or will they do it totally cold? If it happens after a few stops, the rotors could be so thin that the heat from stopping is warping them very easily, created the groaning. Have you checked the thickness of the rotor compared to the minimum allowed? Also is the runout within limits? I believe the Chilton's manual has the specs and the procedure to measure them. Anyone else know?
Old 10-06-2001, 05:56 PM

So what exactly do I need to check for a full brake inspection??? And how can I check it????
Old 10-06-2001, 08:16 PM

It's a new pad so give it a few hundred miles.
Old 10-07-2001, 02:22 AM

original pads?

if those were your original pads, didn't it come with the shims? you can reuse the shims if they are in good condition. if not, i think you can get them with the brake kit at your nearest nissan dealership.

Originally posted by Black97GLEnj
Only the right side of the car is making the noise, and there wasn't any sign of rubbing on the rotor. (no deep scratches, ect.) The grinding doesn't happen all the time and the pads are installed correctly (kinda hard to mess that up on a maxima). I didn't use shims cause they didn't come with the pads. I was under the impression that you only used shims when they came with the pads, but i could be wrong. The guy at the dealership didn't say anything about shims. i did use that blue goop that you put on the back of the pad. That stuff is supposed to improve the contact with the caliper. Thanks for the input, hopefully we can figure this out...

Ken
Old 10-07-2001, 06:07 AM

I believe the Chilton's manual spells out how to check the rotors, but I'm not sure. I use my brakes so much, I'd much rather just replace the rotors with new ones than have them turned.

If you mean, inspect the entire brake system, ideally you should check rotor thickness and runout, pad thickness and brake fluid level. If you have the brakes apart and are working on the system, make sure the piston in the caliper isn't hanging up and the two pins are greased well. I'd also bleed the system. There are ton's of things to look at, I'm not sure exactly what you mean?
Old 10-07-2001, 09:25 AM

With a warped rotor, you will typically feel a vibration in the steering wheel while braking. I personally never had a warped rotor just make noise.

I suggest you install the old shims and see if that cures the problem. BTW, you only have to remove the top half of the rotor to remove the pads.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:55 PM

Sorry I haven't responded in a while, i've been really F'n busy with school. I haven't even driven my car since saturday. I don't have the brake shims, cause i bought the car used and the first brake job I had done at a shop, and they put after market pads on. Shouldn't the dealer sell the shims with the pads? The guy at the dealer never mentioned anything about shims, and I asked him what the best way was to stop the squealing. They squealed like a b1tch, so I went with the nissan pads. The grinding noise occurrs all the time, even when the rotors aren't warmed up yet. The pads aren't craked, so I think one of the rotors must be warped, even though i don't get a vibration in the steering wheel. This noise is definately not just because the pads are new either, so waiting a few hundred miles is out of the question. Thanks for all the input. I'm probably gonna take the rotor back to the place that cut it, and ask them if its warped.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:50 PM

Im doning my brakes soon on my 96 se and I dont know if I will be able to do it...Where are the pins that need to be greased so well ?? I have the haynes manual but it doenst describe where the pins are coming from ?? I s*ck at this stuff

Old 11-13-2001, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by NISMOPower
I somewhat have the same problems...I plan to get my pads changed soon...I also hear like a sandy metal grinding against another. My E-Brake light is on most of the time. Sometimes it goes away what the car is used for a little while but then it might come back. I'm not sure what to do...but first i'll get my pads changed.

My Ebrake light was on recently as well. It just telling you that you low on the brake fluid. Just add more fluid and you will be fine. It soleved my problem.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

that noise eminates from a warped rotor.
wait, let me clarify, the warped rotor causes the wheel bearing to groan.
sometimes, also, if you overfill the brake fluid (so that the brakes don't vent properly) you can get a yucky noise...easily fixed by getting a turkey baster type thing and sucking some out of the resevoir.
Old 11-17-2001, 03:50 PM
1vicky1

I have a 96. I had new front brake pads installed by Midas <never will I go there again!> I got the lifetime warranty. Drove it home, it squeeked and made a grinding noise. I called Midas, told them what it was doing. They told me I needed to bring it back and they would install shims. They did that <costed me another 30 dollars...guess that's not covered under warranty>. The guy told me to take it easy on them and try not to use them too much. WHAT??!!! TRY NOT TO USE....MY BRAKES MUCH!!?? He said it shouldn't make that noise anymore. It still makes the noise. Even worse now. I'm so emabarressed when I have to brake in my car. Is there anything that can be done?

Old 11-17-2001, 05:21 PM

I ended up buying new rotors and sanding the pads down a little and they are working fine. I also used the red goop on the backs of the pads and it seems to be working fine. I've put over a thousand miles on them since I bought the new rotors and no squealing. What a headache this was.. Thanks for all the input

1Vicky1,
I would take the car back to midas until you are satisfied with your brakes. If they didn't squeak before you brought the car there, it shouldn't squeak when you get it back.
Old 11-18-2001, 08:33 AM
1vicky1

Originally posted by Black97GLEnj
I ended up buying new rotors and sanding the pads down a little and they are working fine. I also used the red goop on the backs of the pads and it seems to be working fine. I've put over a thousand miles on them since I bought the new rotors and no squealing. What a headache this was.. Thanks for all the input

1Vicky1,
I would take the car back to midas until you are satisfied with your brakes. If they didn't squeak before you brought the car there, it shouldn't squeak when you get it back.
It did squeak before I took it there. They said it was squeaking because th epads were bad and rubbing. They're just taking advantage of me because I'm a girl. I know how it is. I did call them after they put the shims on it. They said to take it easy and it would work the squeaking and grinding out. I really don't see it happening.