4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed Addco RSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 09:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Installed Addco RSB

First, thanks to Greg at custommaxima. Got my RSB in two days! It came in a nice huge cardboard box. Since we have to go and pick it up at our community bldg. on campus, the UPS guy was like, "Check and make sure there is nothing broken in there!" I was like WTF!? Anyway, the sounds that he heard were from the brackets and all the mounting gear which was in another cardboard box inside the big one. Talk about being thorough

I got the Gold Zinc-chromate coated bar because of the winter conditions around here. The instructions were good, only drawback was the pic was a little hazy since it was like a photocopy. Oh well, that wasn't an issue anyway. It took me and a couple of friends about 2 hrs to finish the entire install. A lot of people were complaining about fitting problems on the board, but for me everything fit just right. It was just a matter of using the right hardware at the right location. Moreover the instructions in shop talk here are mad nice.

Impressions? Well, since this is my last suspension mod, I knew I would not notice that much of a difference as I would have had I been stock. But still the difference was there. There is a lot of over-steer now, which I just have to get used to I guess. Moreover, with such tight suspension settings, I really need better tires. But otherwise its a really worthwhile mod and its worth its not so expensive price. Just my thoughts, thought i'd share.
Old 10-14-2001, 09:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

very nice... that car is coming together really well here is a pic I took a while back You'll have to come up to rochester some time.
Old 10-14-2001, 09:38 AM

Fitment problems were only for the 5th gens. 4th gens have no fitment issues.
Old 10-14-2001, 09:39 AM

another pic from the front I think your half orage/clear corners are growing on me, just because its unique... (who owns that sexy black maxima on the right??)
Old 10-14-2001, 09:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by theblue
another pic from the front I think your half orage/clear corners are growing on me, just because its unique... (who owns that sexy black maxima on the right??)
lol... unique u say? if only that thing didn't fall off when i was in new york! i should get new ones to replace that. I'll definitely come by to rochester one of these days. i'm just waiting for my exams and projects to get over this week. but before that, i need some sleep. damn... 5 days and counting.
Old 10-14-2001, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by clee130
Fitment problems were only for the 5th gens. 4th gens have no fitment issues.
Mine is a 99 and it does have slight fitment problem with the ] brackets on the trailing arms. Took some persuasion and bad mouthings to get it in.
Old 10-14-2001, 03:05 PM

Interesting. It might have been a late 99 production model? Because I also put on a Addco RSB on 1hotmax's 99 max and we had no problems.

Originally posted by Enduro
Mine is a 99 and it does have slight fitment problem with the ] brackets on the trailing arms. Took some persuasion and bad mouthings to get it in.
Old 10-14-2001, 04:22 PM

Interesting. It might have been a late 99 production model? Because I also put on a Addco RSB on 1hotmax's 99 max and we had no problems.
Hmmm...not sure the manufacturer date but I bought it brand new in late March of 99. May be with small clearance tolerance on the ] bracket to begin with combined with slight size variations in manufacturing both the bracket and the trailing arm could lead to some problem that we see?
Old 10-14-2001, 04:30 PM

Possibly. How hard was it to put on? I also put the Addco RSB on three 5th gens. We had to hammer the brackets pretty hard until the bent a little and then rebend them back when we tightened them up.

Originally posted by Enduro
Hmmm...not sure the manufacturer date but I bought it brand new in late March of 99. May be with small clearance tolerance on the ] bracket to begin with combined with slight size variations in manufacturing both the bracket and the trailing arm could lead to some problem that we see?
Old 10-14-2001, 05:03 PM

wow! holy crap!!

I'm getting ready to buy a Stillen RSB because I'm sick and tired of my Ghetto Addco RSB install!!!

I have a 99 SE-L (the door says it was made in March 99), and I noticed *immediately* that the [] bracket things were not going to fit. Hell, they don't even line up with the holes in the curly bracket! I ended up using a few pieces of metal w/ precut holes in them and separate bolts/nuts instead of the [] brackets on the side. ALSO, the U brackets that go over the axle are *WAY* too long!! I had to use a whole crapload of washers to secure the U brackets cuz they stuck out so far below the curly brackets!!

Anyone who has a '98 or earlier, I'll be selling my Addco soon, and I assume it'll fit a lot better than it did on my '99. I just wish Addco had advertised the fact that you have to ghetto rig their RSB if you have a '99!!! And I hope like HE11 that Stillen doesn't pull this fitment crap on their bars!!!

Justin
Old 10-14-2001, 05:10 PM

Re: wow! holy crap!!

Weird... 1hotmax's 99 had no problems.

Originally posted by justmax
I'm getting ready to buy a Stillen RSB because I'm sick and tired of my Ghetto Addco RSB install!!!

I have a 99 SE-L (the door says it was made in March 99), and I noticed *immediately* that the [] bracket things were not going to fit. Hell, they don't even line up with the holes in the curly bracket! I ended up using a few pieces of metal w/ precut holes in them and separate bolts/nuts instead of the [] brackets on the side. ALSO, the U brackets that go over the axle are *WAY* too long!! I had to use a whole crapload of washers to secure the U brackets cuz they stuck out so far below the curly brackets!!

Anyone who has a '98 or earlier, I'll be selling my Addco soon, and I assume it'll fit a lot better than it did on my '99. I just wish Addco had advertised the fact that you have to ghetto rig their RSB if you have a '99!!! And I hope like HE11 that Stillen doesn't pull this fitment crap on their bars!!!

Justin
Old 10-14-2001, 05:25 PM

Possibly. How hard was it to put on? I also put the Addco RSB on three 5th gens. We had to hammer the brackets pretty hard until the bent a little and then rebend them back when we tightened them up.
How hard?...well my triceps got a good workout after the install but not as bad as when I replace my alternator Anyway about the [] brackets, I had to angle either the top or bottom end so it'll swing around the trailing arm and use the supplied nuts to tighten the barely explosed other end of the bolt to pull it over the trailing arm. But no hammering was needed. Good thing someone on this org posted this method as their solution to the fitment problem...else I'd be having lots more trouble with it.
Old 10-14-2001, 06:57 PM

i will probably be interested in that rsb justin
Old 10-14-2001, 09:25 PM

Had no problems whatsoever installing the Addco RSB on my 99 SE-L, just bolted right on.
The bar and hardware were gold zinc plated, with red nylon bushings. All parts were "shrink wrapped" to a sheet of cardboard. yeah, the install instructions were crap, but several folks here have instruction FAQs on their web sites, look around.
Old 10-15-2001, 10:16 AM

No fit problems on my 99

I didn't have any fitment problems on my 99. Just did it a week ago.
Old 10-15-2001, 10:42 AM

I'm waiting for my RSB in the mail. Great job Greg.
One day I'll be happy

K