4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

BAD Discovery!!!! 5 speed Tranny would fail soon- must read!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 03:15 PM

BAD Discovery!!!! 5 speed Tranny would fail soon- must read!!

I am in the process of putting in my Quaife LSD so I have my transmission apart. My car right now has 67,000 miles on it. Anyway I feel this post is so important I'm posting it twice in the Main forum and the 4th generation forum. I know this will be hard to visualize unless you've seen the insides of the tranny or have a FSM. I've got the input shaft and main shaft somewhere else, but I'm right now working on the differential assembly. All of my bearings and gears and synchros in the main and input shafts look fine. The driver side differential carrier bearing is fine, and visible before you take the differential assembly out of the tranny case. Anyway upon removing the differential assembly, low and behold my right side bearing had spalling and chips all in the rollers and within the bearings as well. Please visit www.motorvate.ca for more information on somebody else with the same problem, except my transmission didnt show any signs of this yet, but certainly after a while it would give away.

THIS IS THE FIRST/LAST/ONLY NISSAN CAR I WILL EVER BUY!!!!!!!!!!! From now on I'm sticking to Honda/Toyota. I've had complaints about this car before but this one topped them all. Praise the Lord I never had to deal with the dealership and I have spare vehicles to use while my car is out of commission. If I was the person on www.motorvate.ca, I would have pitched this car long ago. Unbelievable, especially after he went through his ordeal. Who else here has had a 5 speed transmission fail on them? I thought I was lucky and did not have any problems YET until I discovered this. Its almost fortunate I did buy the Quaife or I would have a car with a busted transmission on my hands. And imagine if I had no mechanical skills I would be out over $1000 just on a rebuilt/used tranny, which might have failed again. I will take pictures but right now I'm too poor to buy a digital camera.

OK, you're probably wondering what makes these bearings fail. Its due to excessive bearing preload. Basically you gotta use a precision dial-o-meter in order to get the correct shims from Nissan and adjust the preload. Too much preload and you get spalled and chipped bearings which eventually fail. There is also a cleaner "magnet" on the bottom of the tranny case and I was wondering where there was alot of metal shard down there. This explains it all.

On a few side notes, the differential pictured at www.motorvate.ca appears to be the limited slip type. Since it is a canadian website, I can only assumme its a Canadian car with the LSD. My current stock differential is nothing but 4 big gears and looks like a cheap open differential. The Quaife definately looks much better. You also need to buy a speedometer gear from Nissan to put on the Quaife, but I found out its plastic. So it will probably make it cheap.

Anyway, I thought I'd just share my experience here. If your 5 speed transmission blows up anytime it will be of no surprise to me. Wish me luck as I now have to replace even more components.
Old 10-15-2001, 03:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

please tell us you are taking lots of pictures and doing a write up.. it's your maxima.org duty!
Old 10-15-2001, 05:38 PM

I personally feel that no matter what type of vehicle you purchase all of them have their flaws, I have seem them all from Toyota's to your high dollar luxury vehicles, The chance of that sort of failure affecting all 5-speed trany's is slim. Most of the time it is a tech on the assembly line falling to sleep on the job that causes the problems (GM & Chrysler)
Old 10-15-2001, 05:43 PM

I personally feel that no matter what type of vehicle you purchase all of them have their flaws, I have seem them all from Toyota's to your high dollar luxury vehicles, The chance of that sort of failure affecting all 5-speed trany's is slim. Most of the time it is a tech on the assembly line falling to sleep on the job that causes the problems (GM & Chrysler)
Old 10-16-2001, 12:37 AM

More "Dealer Bonus" This is leftover clear silicone from the last $1,200 rebuild. Somehow silicone debris got in to the end of the input shaft and main shaft. This did cause extra pre-load on the input shaft and main shaft bearings. As I found out later, it also explained stiff shifting in all gears, especially in first.
sounds like it was the dealer that contributed to a decent portion of this problem. it dosen't matter what kind of car you own, if the mechanic you have working on it does a half *** job of it, you will have problems.
Old 10-19-2001, 10:47 AM

I have been going through the very problem you are talking about with the tranny on my 96 I30. The dealer denied me the powertrain warranty coverage which my car is still under, citing abusive driving as the reason for failure. But what you describe with the metal shavings and the failed bearings is precisely what it looks like in my transmission. The dealership was a complete **** about the whole situation and kept pointing to the clutch as proof of their claim which was a load of bull**** because I took it to a reputable local mechanic who said that the clutch still had 15k still left on it and the flywheel and pressure plate were still in useable condition. I will also never buy a nissan product again or for that matter, an Infiniti product. Who needs enemies when you have dealerships that claim to have superior warranty service treat you like ****. They wanted to charge me $3500 for the repairs and acted like they were doing me a favor. Their consumer affairs line was also worthless, as they just backed up what the dealer positions was. So much for Infiniti's superior vehicle warranty, NOT!.
Old 10-19-2001, 11:03 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Having automagic rules.
Old 10-19-2001, 01:18 PM

I also have a bearing prob.

I just found out I also have a bearing prob in my 5spd (I think that is the prob).
I changed the axel seal 2 times, and it still leaks, someone on here suggested it may be the bearing, and his description of the problem was same as mine.
Too bad I am no longer under warranty!

Can someone tell me how much one of those bearing costs? I have a shop that I can work at, but I need to know how much the part(s) is.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2001, 07:53 PM
Granny Driven

Disagree!!!!

Originally posted by chandos
I have been going through the very problem you are talking about with the tranny on my 96 I30. The dealer denied me the powertrain warranty coverage which my car is still under, citing abusive driving as the reason for failure. But what you describe with the metal shavings and the failed bearings is precisely what it looks like in my transmission. The dealership was a complete **** about the whole situation and kept pointing to the clutch as proof of their claim which was a load of bull**** because I took it to a reputable local mechanic who said that the clutch still had 15k still left on it and the flywheel and pressure plate were still in useable condition. I will also never buy a nissan product again or for that matter, an Infiniti product. Who needs enemies when you have dealerships that claim to have superior warranty service treat you like ****. They wanted to charge me $3500 for the repairs and acted like they were doing me a favor. Their consumer affairs line was also worthless, as they just backed up what the dealer positions was. So much for Infiniti's superior vehicle warranty, NOT!.
Nissan rules. Just cause your car sucks it dont mean every car is bad. There is a high chance of you buying a honda and having the same problem. Its how the previous owner drove it. Or how you drive it. I have 3 friends who purchased mercedes bens s420-s500 and all of them have tranny problem. They dint go and throw them out. They fixed it. Benz is still popular. So will be the max. As goes for the dealer. In every car make the dealer is a rip off. Thats why they call them dealers. I allways do service at my mechanik where I watch what is being done to my car and it doesnt take days to perform an oil change like it does at the dealer. Good luck with your tranny. BTW I have over 110K miles and no problem and so many other members.ThaNK gOD.
Old 10-20-2001, 07:45 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Having automagic rules.

Old 10-20-2001, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by kevlo911

quick question: would double clutching or match revving make a difference in the long run?
Old 10-20-2001, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by VQdriver
quick question: would double clutching or match revving make a difference in the long run?
Yes. It'll put a lot of stress on your clutch and possibly break some parts driven by the timing chain. I use to do this on my first car ('87 celica gt). I know it's irrelevant to a Maxima question, but double clutching broke my timing belt tensioner and left me stranded on the road (no cell phone) and had to hitchhike to a nearby gas station.
Old 10-21-2001, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by SillePimp

Yes. It'll put a lot of stress on your clutch and possibly break some parts driven by the timing chain. I use to do this on my first car ('87 celica gt). I know it's irrelevant to a Maxima question, but double clutching broke my timing belt tensioner and left me stranded on the road (no cell phone) and had to hitchhike to a nearby gas station.
i thought match revving and or double clutching were good things for your driving and for your car! can someone give me further insight onto how it could be damaging to my car? thanks.
Old 10-22-2001, 01:41 AM

Steve Cornelius' `97 Maxima SE 5-speed tranny failed around 50k miles, IIRC.

However, aside from his failure and numerous 250fwhp+/250fwtq+ SE-R guys blowing up transmissions, I haven't heard of too many failures. Far below Chrysler failure rates. There are quite a few high-mileage Maximas in California-- many I have seen are 95~96's with more than 100,000 miles-- without any signs of failure. I've driven a couple 110,000 mile+ cars that were just fine and several 75,000 mile+ cars as well.

Along with the MAF, TPS, and starter (on 95-96 models), this appears to be a potential trouble spot.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:57 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by brianw
Steve Cornelius' `97 Maxima SE 5-speed tranny failed around 50k miles, IIRC.

However, aside from his failure and numerous 250fwhp+/250fwtq+ SE-R guys blowing up transmissions, I haven't heard of too many failures.
You haven't been paying too much attention then. I count 6 individuals suffering from transmission/bearing failures in the last 3 weeks on this board, not to mention BriGuyMax's total 3rd gear shattering, and my bearing replacement about 5 weeks ago.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:07 AM

do a search on transmission problem. i see a bunch of people whos trans have ate it around 60k...
Old 10-22-2001, 11:09 AM

Re: BAD Discovery!!!! 5 speed Tranny would fail soon- must read!!

Originally posted by ericdwong
I am in the process of putting in my Quaife LSD so I have my transmission apart. My car right now has 67,000 miles on it. Anyway I feel this post is so important I'm posting it twice in the Main forum and the 4th generation forum. I know this will be hard to visualize unless you've seen the insides of the tranny or have a FSM. I've got the input shaft and main shaft somewhere else, but I'm right now working on the differential assembly. All of my bearings and gears and synchros in the main and input shafts look fine. The driver side differential carrier bearing is fine, and visible before you take the differential assembly out of the tranny case. Anyway upon removing the differential assembly, low and behold my right side bearing had spalling and chips all in the rollers and within the bearings as well. Please visit www.motorvate.ca for more information on somebody else with the same problem, except my transmission didnt show any signs of this yet, but certainly after a while it would give away.

THIS IS THE FIRST/LAST/ONLY NISSAN CAR I WILL EVER BUY!!!!!!!!!!! From now on I'm sticking to Honda/Toyota. I've had complaints about this car before but this one topped them all. Praise the Lord I never had to deal with the dealership and I have spare vehicles to use while my car is out of commission. If I was the person on www.motorvate.ca, I would have pitched this car long ago. Unbelievable, especially after he went through his ordeal. Who else here has had a 5 speed transmission fail on them? I thought I was lucky and did not have any problems YET until I discovered this. Its almost fortunate I did buy the Quaife or I would have a car with a busted transmission on my hands. And imagine if I had no mechanical skills I would be out over $1000 just on a rebuilt/used tranny, which might have failed again. I will take pictures but right now I'm too poor to buy a digital camera.

OK, you're probably wondering what makes these bearings fail. Its due to excessive bearing preload. Basically you gotta use a precision dial-o-meter in order to get the correct shims from Nissan and adjust the preload. Too much preload and you get spalled and chipped bearings which eventually fail. There is also a cleaner "magnet" on the bottom of the tranny case and I was wondering where there was alot of metal shard down there. This explains it all.

On a few side notes, the differential pictured at www.motorvate.ca appears to be the limited slip type. Since it is a canadian website, I can only assumme its a Canadian car with the LSD. My current stock differential is nothing but 4 big gears and looks like a cheap open differential. The Quaife definately looks much better. You also need to buy a speedometer gear from Nissan to put on the Quaife, but I found out its plastic. So it will probably make it cheap.

Anyway, I thought I'd just share my experience here. If your 5 speed transmission blows up anytime it will be of no surprise to me. Wish me luck as I now have to replace even more components.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
You haven't been paying too much attention then. I count 6 individuals suffering from transmission/bearing failures in the last 3 weeks on this board, not to mention BriGuyMax's total 3rd gear shattering, and my bearing replacement about 5 weeks ago.
Yep, that's right-- I don't pay too much attention here. Too many ricers and too much noise for me.

I wonder what the actual ratio of failures is now. With so many more members than we had in `96, `97, `98, `99... more failures are common. Hmmm.

How many of these failures have been in totally stock cars, BTW?
Old 10-23-2001, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by 98maxse5spd
do a search on transmission problem. i see a bunch of people whos trans have ate it around 60k...
so if ur way past the 60K mark is it safe to assume ur transmission will not **** up like that
Old 10-23-2001, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by nizmo
so if ur way past the 60K mark is it safe to assume ur transmission will not **** up like that
Not quite-- yes, but not quite.

It's safe to assume your transmission does not have any preload problems, so that particular failure should not be an issue...