4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A/c works intermittently, compressor lets out pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A/c works intermittently, compressor lets out pressure

Update on post #14.

Hi everyone,
My air conditioner seems to work intermittently.
The air is cold most of the time, but every once in a while, it wont be.

My compressor (i think) was making like an electronic whirring noise after i started it up that would rise with the engine's rpm. It would go away after a couple of minutes. It did have something to do with the a/c though, because when i would switch the fan to off, the sound would go away.
Anyway, one day i started up my car, and it was idling for a few moments, then a huge spray of refrigerant came out of the front pass side. I turned the a/c off, and it stopped.
The a/c was still cold, intermittently.

A few days later, refrigerant comes out again, and i turn the a/c off. However, i think it was all depleted and the air wasnt cold at all.

Last week, i took it for a recharge.
Recharge worked, but it still made the whirring noise. Yesterday it shot refrigerant out again.

All these problems seem to have started after i lost my compressor pulley and had to put a replacement on. The pulley does spin freely, and doesnt squeal or anything.
Is my belt too tight or too loose? Is something wrong with the compressor? Something else wrong?

Any input is appreciated!
Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks!
Zac

Last edited by wiggafly808; 10-23-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:42 PM

Where is the freon leaking from ?? You have to find the leak and fix it.

-matt
Old 09-22-2007, 04:44 PM

It doesnt leak all the time, it just shoots out a big spray every once in a while.
Is there some kind of pressure relieving area it could be shooting out from?

Ill go look and see if i can locate it though.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:16 PM

Although not clearly shown in FSM, there is a pressure relieve valve on the compressor. This high pressure condition can be caused by the triple pressure switch not working or the expansion valve stuck closed.

When the high side pressure gets too high, the triple pressure switch should cut out the clutch to mitigate the high pressure condition. If the expansion valve is stuck closed, and the evaporator is warm, the pressure delta between the suction port and discharge port would cause the compressor to enter into high capacity mode (high pressure).

Normally two failures occuring at the same time is rare. But in this case the triple pressure switch could have failed some time ago.

Matt,

I take it your A/C is working well?
Old 09-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by SVI30
Matt,
I take it your A/C is working well?
Replaced the Expansion Valve and the Evaporater. Recharged, and it works great now

-matt
Old 09-22-2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by matty
Replaced the Expansion Valve and the Evaporater. Recharged, and it works great now

-matt
Congratulations, now you are a bonafile 4G A/C expert. Came at a price.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:29 AM

Although not clearly shown in FSM, there is a pressure relieve valve on the compressor. This high pressure condition can be caused by the triple pressure switch not working or the expansion valve stuck closed.

When the high side pressure gets too high, the triple pressure switch should cut out the clutch to mitigate the high pressure condition. If the expansion valve is stuck closed, and the evaporator is warm, the pressure delta between the suction port and discharge port would cause the compressor to enter into high capacity mode (high pressure).

Normally two failures occuring at the same time is rare. But in this case the triple pressure switch could have failed some time ago.
Sorry, im not all that familiar with the a/c system. What would you suggest i check? The triple pressure switch?

Some info i forgot to mention - the compressor is new, the PO put it in a bit before i bought it, but he never had it charged. When i charged it, it was fine, but i had problems with the tensioner. After that, it started to make the noises and then let out the charge.

I'm thinking either something with the tension or there isnt any oil, perhaps?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 AM

Nissan OEM compressors are shipped without oil. So you should check to see if there are enough oil in it.

It does seems that something is blocking the flow of freon and the triple pressure switch is not working. Triple pressure switch is used to protect the compressor so it could lead to compressor failure in the first place if not working.

If the system is left open for a while, then the dryer should be changed as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 PM

Oh, thanks for the advice. Ill try and add some oil and refrigerant.

The past two days though, the a/c hasnt worked at all, and there havent been any big sprays of refrigerant preceding it not working.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:03 PM

The oil for the Calsonic CWV618 should be PAG46 and not the higher viscosity PAG100. Read FSM page HA-128 to determine how much oil you need.

It is probably worthwhile to invest in a gauge set (both high and low gauges) in order to tell what the system is doing.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:29 AM

Alright, thanks for the information!

Hopefully i can get this all worked out soon.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Alright, i havent been able to get it recharged yet, so ive just been driving around with the a/c off.

I turned the a/c on for a little bit, and noticed that when i have the a/c on, my idle will go up and down, from around 1500 to 2000. When im coasting, it will build from 1500 to 2000, then drop suddenly to 1500 again.
I know my idle is high, but i'm not sure how much to adjust it.
When im sitting in idle somewhere, sometimes it will be 1000, sometimes it will be 1500.
I dont want to lower it to say 800 then have it drop on me to like 300 every once in a while.

Just yesterday i adjusted the tension on the compressor belt again, i thought it might be too tight or something, so i loosened the tension then tightened it up again.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Nissan OEM compressors are shipped without oil. So you should check to see if there are enough oil in it.

It does seems that something is blocking the flow of freon and the triple pressure switch is not working. Triple pressure switch is used to protect the compressor so it could lead to compressor failure in the first place if not working.

If the system is left open for a while, then the dryer should be changed as well.
When you refill the system using those refill kits you get from the auto places of r-134a they do have oil mixed in with the refrigerant, if the system been open at any amount of time, it MUST BE VACUUM before adding refrigerant, that's because you want no air in the system.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Alright, i ended up taking it in to an electric shop.

An oil leak had leaked oil onto my alternator and compressor, messing up both.

The compressor clutch was messed up from the oil and thats why it only worked once in a while.
I have to replace both alternator and compressor.

Also, whoever did the wiring on my car wired the triple position sensor directly to the compressor relay, and its not supposed to be bypassed like that.

Sigh...