4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car would not start the other day... please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:52 AM

Car would not start the other day... please help

Hey, this is my first thread, so I hope I don't do anythin dumb. I went out Saturday morning, everything was fine. I went to get a haircut and was in there for about an hour. I go outside (after it mysteriously poured rain for a few minutes) and my car wouldnt start. It's all stock 99 SE and I had just gotten a new starter and battery about 7 months ago. So, I don't expect that would be the problem. Anyway, it cranked like a motha, but would not turn over. I didn't give it any gas, then I did and still nothing. OK, so I was stranded. I waited a while and kept trying, did this a few times. Then, twice it started and I revved it probably like to 4k rpm and two times, it just revved and then died. So I kept trying after waiting a few. Then I dont know what it was, but it started fine and i was like F#*% this, IM GOIN'! and its been fine ever since!

OK, so I've heard a few things, bad fuel pump, someone said it could be a sensor, but no codes thrown. And, someone said it could have been the gas, which is interesting, because for the first time, I'm running BP 93. I've heard mixed things about BP gas, but after being on this forum for a few months, I decided to give it a shot. Usually I have been putting Shell 93 in. I dont know. ANY thoughts or ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! I hope this thing doesn't strand me at work!

She KNOWS I'm talking about her!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by IWalkAlone2317
OK, so I've heard a few things, bad fuel pump, someone said it could be a sensor, but no codes thrown.
Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn ignition on?

If you suspect the crankshaft ref sensor is bad, try to disconnect it and see if engine starts without it.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 AM

Is that the noise I've been hearing for WEEKS?! I thought My muffler was loose, checked it out and it's fine. I guess it IS the fuel pump. Wow.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 AM

Is that the noise I've been hearing for WEEKS?! I thought My muffler was loose, checked it out and it's fine. I guess it IS the fuel pump. Wow.
When you turn ignition on, but don't start the engine, fuel pump should be powered for about 5seconds. If you can't hear it, than most probably it is dead. it is better to turn off radio, so it won't extract power antenna.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 AM

Now, I'm not sure what I think. ugh, There's this jiggling noise (sounds like its coming from the tank or the muffler) every time I start and shut off the car. a few of my friends say its the fuel pump. I can have an appointment today and get it done for $231. I just wonder if they tell me its something else and charge me a ton. I called Pep Boys and they blew everyone else away for price. Dealer wanted almost 500 and my local mechanic wanted like 370-420. I dunno!!! Help, I leave work in 2 hours
Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 AM

Now, I'm not sure what I think. ugh, There's this jiggling noise (sounds like its coming from the tank or the muffler) every time I start and shut off the car.
Does your car starts? If it starts, do you hear that noise while the engine is running? Can you hear it better if you remove the gas tank cap?

a few of my friends say its the fuel pump. I can have an appointment today and get it done for $231. I just wonder if they tell me its something else and charge me a ton. I called Pep Boys and they blew everyone else away for price. Dealer wanted almost 500 and my local mechanic wanted like 370-420. I dunno!!! Help, I leave work in 2 hours
Most probably the fuel pump is going bad, especially if you don't hear that noise when your car doesn't want to start. I've heard that fuel pump sounds like a giant bee, before unexpectedly dying at all. The bad news is that my pump sounds like that
Old 09-25-2007, 10:34 AM

I don't hear it while driving... and the day it wouldnt start it was rattling even worse... grrr.. I dunno, I'm afraid to take it to the shop and have them come back and tell me, we have to diagnose it and all that and boom, price goes through the roof!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 AM

I don't hear it while driving... and the day it wouldnt start it was rattling even worse... grrr.. I dunno, I'm afraid to take it to the shop and have them come back and tell me, we have to diagnose it and all that and boom, price goes through the roof!
I dunno. when you turn ignition on, but don't engage starter, the fuel pump is powered for a short period of time about 5-7 seconds. If you hear rattling, than it is fuel pump. If you hear that ratling only when you stop your car or crank it, chances are that exhaust system is causing that.

Let them diagnose it first and measure the fuel presure. If the car doesn't start at all, it is fuel pump or crankshaft sensor bad. I bet in your case, the fuel pump is causing you all this headache.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:33 AM

Dropped it off yesterday... they have not called yet. ugh. The diagnosis is 102 after tax! its still cheaper than the other guys if it is the fuel pump, even with the diagnosis. that makes it 335 altogether... still atleast 50 bucks cheaper than the other guys without a diagnosis! So, I'll wait for the call and I'll post again once I know whats going on.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 AM

well, I'm picking up the car in 2 hours and they could not find anything wrong, said the fuel pressure and the pump and everything was fine. I guess I just have to wait til the next time i get stranded. oh well. atleast i get my car back!