4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

good reference guide for 4th gener?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 07:28 PM

I was planning to do some of my own work and I saw a few books at the bookstore--the chilton and haynes. I was wondering if you guys might have any experiences using these reference books for our cars. I was wondering if anyone would know or can comment which of these books--the chilton guide to the Maxima, Haynes guide or the Nissan guide is the easiest for someone to use--who is beginning some work on their car.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

thanks

Brian
Old 11-01-2000, 07:56 PM

Brian,

Not sure if this is the same post as on the other forum I replied to. If so, check over there. Nutshell: Haynes for the money; Nissan if you're planning to do serious, serious work on it. Most DIY stuff is covered fine by Haynes.

Chilton's sux.

-kev
Old 11-02-2000, 06:58 AM

thanks

I appreciate the advice. I think I will head over to the bookstore and pick up a copy...I haven't look at much of the stuff though...

so I guess I will give it a good look over.

thanks
Old 11-02-2000, 07:07 AM
swimfrus

What book store

I've been looking for the Haynes book for 96 and up but I can't find it. I only found the 3rd gen book, i need the 4th gen. book.

Old 11-02-2000, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by humaras
I was planning to do some of my own work and I saw a few books at the bookstore--the chilton and haynes. I was wondering if you guys might have any experiences using these reference books for our cars. I was wondering if anyone would know or can comment which of these books--the chilton guide to the Maxima, Haynes guide or the Nissan guide is the easiest for someone to use--who is beginning some work on their car.

thanks

Brian
I wrote a comparison of 4Gen manuals a few months ago and posted it on the Nissan newsgroups. Since this question has popped up on this forum a few times, I will post it here in the next day or two.
Old 11-02-2000, 07:48 AM
Wayne

swimfrus you can get the Haynes book on there website. I could not find it anywhere. I just brought mines about two weeks age.

Old 11-02-2000, 08:05 AM
The missing moderator

Brian,

Do yourself a favor and buy the actual nissan facotry service manual. Yes it's costly but believe me, it is the BEST thing you can do for yourself if you want to take care of the maxima. Yes the other manuals are "ok", but it's nothing like the FSM. Call up Courtesy nissan, they can get one out to you.

-Shing

thanks

Brian
Old 11-02-2000, 09:01 AM

I was planning to do some of my own work . ... ...

thanks

Brian
Great idea! Start with the easy jobs and work your way up. The more you do, the more confidence you will have. After a while you will ask yourself, "How could they charge $xxx for such a simple thing?!?" It will usually take you less time to service your car yourself than to drive to a commercial shop and wait around until they do the work.

You will save money by doing your own work. You can put half of the savings in your own pocket and spend the other half on tools. After a couple of years, you will be amazed at the good tool set you have accumulated.