4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 PM

suspension advice

hit 120k miles & my suspension is done.

please make recommendations on what to replace.
trying to save up for a new car so rather save as much money as possible

looking to fix suspension while getting some modest lowering out of it.
struts im thinking gr2s. what springs go well with gr2s?

besides struts/springs... im lost to what exactly i NEED to buy/replace. (i.e. mounts, bushings, boots, etc..) any links or brand names, any help/advice so i can purchase items, would be helpful.

sucks bc i work all day and got no time to fix the max, but i keep driving because i need to. what a tangled web i weave.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Should be in bed...

Since no one else responded (and I just ordered all the parts for an overhaul this week) here's my stab...

Do you want a new car or do you want to lower your Maxima? Lowering = more wear and tear on the axles. More $$$ spent due to purchasing springs. More stress on the shock-absorbers (and possible failure).

If you want to save money buy the gr2s and keep the stock springs (or find the stock SE springs if you don't already have them for a sportier feel without the drop). Replace the rest when it fails.

If you're going to be driving for a while and want to spend money: replace the control arms as a unit (which will include the bushings and ball joint); it's easier to just order a new control arm then to rebuild it. RockAuto had some for about $100 each from OEM suppliers.
Others recommend replacing the inner/outer tie rods (four all-together), the strut mounts/bearings, and polyurethane bushings (everyone seems to like energy suspension but note: they add noise). Might as well replace the tie rods that connect the control arms to the sway bar too (x2). All this info is scattered in the forums, read through the stickies under 4th generation and the advanced suspension forums. I did all my shopping at RockAuto or Courtesy Nissan.
If you insist on going lower: The tokico spring/strut combo on ebay for about $550 is probably the most economic.
For quality: The Eibach springs are probably the safest bet since they have the least drop and would cause the least stress on other components.
For a spring/strut comparison try this site: http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/sp..._decision.html

I can't stress enough that the info you want is already in the forums, I can't find the link right now but you're not the first person to ask this question. I ended up ordering a koni/h&r combo from shox.com -money wasn't my priority as I need my maxima to last five more years while I finish my bachelors and grad school so I decided not to skimp.