4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Air Bag Warning light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 PM

Air Bag Warning light blinking

Yesterday my Air Bag warning light came on blinking. i scanned my system no code popped up for it. the only code popped up was my O2 sensor (2nd) and thats also apart of my question, i dont know where my 2nd O2 sensor is located on my exhaust. but yea could someone help me out and giving me some answers to how i fix the air bag light problem and where my second o2 sensor is. thnx guys. the year of my max is '99 SE
Old 10-01-2007, 11:10 PM
DCMAXIMA01-DC-DEREK

Location: I LIVE IN THE DALLAS METRO PLEX, A SMALL TOWN THAT IS GROWING RAPIDLY; CALLED LITTLE ELM TEXAS.
AIR BAG LIGHT "BLINKS"

HEY WHATS UP MAN, I WAS WONDERING IF YOU FOUND A SOLUTION TO THE AIR BAG LIGHT. I OWN A 2001 ANNIVERSARY SERIES AND MY AIR BAG LIGHT HAS BEEN ON FOR OVER 4 MONTHS. HOOKED IT UP TO EVERY DIAGNOSTICS COMPUTER THAT I HAVE ACCESS TO AND STILL NOTHING. SNAP ON EVEN HAS A AIR BAG SCANNER THAT WONT TURN IT OFF. ALL I CAN SAY IS TAKE IT TO A NISSAN DEALERSHIP. B/C THEY WANT TO CHARGE ANY ONE A ARM AND A LEG JUST TO HOOK UP THE OBD2 SCANNER. SO IF YOU FIND ANY THING OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW.. THANKS
Old 10-02-2007, 05:40 AM

Read one of the stickeys. This happened to me and many other 4th gen owners. Easy to fix

How to reset SRS(air bag) light

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button located low on the B pillar, a button which is pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF. Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

If the airbag warning lamp is still on (or still flashing), there is a fault in the Supplemental Restraint System which must be diagnosed and repaired. This is a job for your local friendly Nissan dealer

Last edited by wuzzy; 10-02-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:57 PM

Dude that sh** worked! thanks alot man. whenever i drove at night that blinking red light would drive me INSANE! but thanks a bunch

Originally Posted by wuzzy
Read one of the stickeys. This happened to me and many other 4th gen owners. Easy to fix
Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Alright. The reason why you did not get a code for the air bag, is because normal OBD-2 scanners will NOT pick up airbag/srs codes. Your rear o2 sensor would be located after your catalytic converter. I am assuming you got a P0136 or one of its variants. In your 99, you have 3 o2 sensors i believe. One for each bank of cylinders and one after the cat.

Also if you have sideair bags, the SRS light is a common thing it seems. Both my 98's did it, and when i check my airbag code on my 98, it comes up with an open circuit on the pass side.

Nissan did have a TSB on it, they said the harness is too small, and when you move the seat back it gets pulled and disconnects itself..not really but it pulls away just enought to trigger the light. Ive been driving with it on for probably 3 years, doenst really bother me now, ive gotten use to it same with my CEL (no rear o2 and JWT ecu)
Old 10-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
Alright. The reason why you did not get a code for the air bag, is because normal OBD-2 scanners will NOT pick up airbag/srs codes. Your rear o2 sensor would be located after your catalytic converter. I am assuming you got a P0136 or one of its variants. In your 99, you have 3 o2 sensors i believe. One for each bank of cylinders and one after the cat.

Also if you have sideair bags, the SRS light is a common thing it seems. Both my 98's did it, and when i check my airbag code on my 98, it comes up with an open circuit on the pass side.

Nissan did have a TSB on it, they said the harness is too small, and when you move the seat back it gets pulled and disconnects itself..not really but it pulls away just enought to trigger the light. Ive been driving with it on for probably 3 years, doenst really bother me now, ive gotten use to it same with my CEL (no rear o2 and JWT ecu)
the thing is that there is no O2 sensor after my cat. there is one located on one exhaust manifold and the other as well. the other two are located on the y-pipe. the thing is i dont know which one is it talking about maybe i should replace all of them when i get a aftermarket y-pipe. but the thing is are all of them the same? or are some of them different? and where would i get these O2 sensors and how much would they run me
Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 PM

my 99 airbag blinks and bliunks i tried the 5 times on the door pillar thing and close door turn car on ...didnt work unfortunately.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

man I have to say that i read this post and tried it. It actually worked i think a little too well though because it also reset my check engine light as well 2 for 1. I had previously tried the 7 second 3 second no luck.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Over a year later and this FIX still works! Thanks for posting the SRS reset procedure. I had to do it twice, but it remains effective in eliminating the airbag light.