4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission out to repair leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Transmission out to repair leak

I am having my tranny removed to put a seal to fix gear oil leak. I will be changing the clutch since the transmission is out. Another thing is that my reverse lights don't come ON and I would definately like to fix this since the transmission will be out. Any ideas what to do to fix the reverse light problem and anything else I can do when the transmission is out..............
Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 PM
PM me for LCA's!

Check the engine's rear main seal or just replace it if you feel spunky. Also, you could install a stainless steel clutch line. They are only $25 and you might as well bleed the clutch. Don't forget to grease the pivot ball, throw-out bearing surfaces and fork.

You could also change the axle seals and "striking rod oil seal" which is the input shaft from the shifter... and while you are onto the shifter you could do a STS or at least get some poly bushings for the shifter... to name a few.

And lastly, as many have said before, sand the engine and trans bell housing surfaces. It will save you grief later.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by SNOMAX
Check the engine's rear main seal or just replace it if you feel spunky. Also, you could install a stainless steel clutch line. They are only $25 and you might as well bleed the clutch. Don't forget to grease the pivot ball, throw-out bearing surfaces and fork.

You could also change the axle seals and "striking rod oil seal" which is the input shaft from the shifter... and while you are onto the shifter you could do a STS or at least get some poly bushings for the shifter... to name a few.

And lastly, as many have said before, sand the engine and trans bell housing surfaces. It will save you grief later.
Thanks. Any idea about the reverse light?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Maintenance Monster

Take the tranny to a tranny shop and have them split it open to directly inspect the bearings. Your axle seal leak could very well be due to worn out bearings, and you'll kick yourself really hard if you have the tranny all the way out and you just change the seal and it still leaks.

The correct way to handle the clutch is to take the flywheel out for machining (not sanding) and clean both the pressure plate and flywheel with solvent prior to installation. You don't want a single greasy fingerprint on those surfaces.

Dave
Old 10-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by asamu-95max
Thanks. Any idea about the reverse light?
Yes, it's the reverse/neutral switch in the bottom of the trans. It has a wiring harness coming from it. Replacement while the trans is out will be simple. Part is available for about $30 at the Nissan dealer.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Take the tranny to a tranny shop and have them split it open to directly inspect the bearings. Your axle seal leak could very well be due to worn out bearings, and you'll kick yourself really hard if you have the tranny all the way out and you just change the seal and it still leaks.

The correct way to handle the clutch is to take the flywheel out for machining (not sanding) and clean both the pressure plate and flywheel with solvent prior to installation. You don't want a single greasy fingerprint on those surfaces.

Dave
I am taking the car to mechanic, so I hope he will be able to split it open and check the bearings. It's convenient to have it fixed in one shop.

I have a new clutch kit which I think contains the fly wheel, so I will not have to go through the cleaning process.

Any idea about the reverse light switch....
Thanks!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Willing to learn

I have a new clutch kit which I think contains the fly wheel, so I will not have to go through the cleaning process.

Any idea about the reverse light switch....
Thanks!
Most clutch kits do not contain a new flywheel, this would be a substantial increase in cost.

Reverse lights, did you see the above post?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 PM

The trans came out. To insert the seal they had to open up the transmission since it looks that it's on the other side of the input/output shaft, and they found out that the main bearing was also gone. The options were to rebuild the transmission or get another one, I went for the later....

The other question I may have is whether I have a non LCD or LCD transmission. The car is a 1995 maxima SE..........
Old 10-11-2007, 09:37 PM
No more Maximas...

The trans came out. To insert the seal they had to open up the transmission since it looks that it's on the other side of the input/output shaft, and they found out that the main bearing was also gone. The options were to rebuild the transmission or get another one, I went for the later....

The other question I may have is whether I have a non LCD or LCD transmission. The car is a 1995 maxima SE..........
LSD, not LCD. It's in the stickies, but basically (assuming it has the original trans) plate on the firewall has the trans code, RS5F05V is limited slip, RS5F05A is open. Chances are best that you have an open diff.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where are you located? I have two rebuilt open-dif trannies for sale right now, without core=$900
Old 10-15-2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Where are you located? I have two rebuilt open-dif trannies for sale right now, without core=$900
I am in NJ, but I am hoping to get a transmission for $750-$850. Will get in touch if the deal falls through..........
Old 10-15-2007, 06:05 PM

$900 was without a core, I can do it for $725 + your old trans, the shop can leave all the shift components in a box and toss the shaft's/dif back into the case for convenience.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:22 PM

Well if they are replacing the differential carrier bearing at the same time, make sure it is shimmed properly.

I would print out the 10-pager from www.motorvate.ca for how to shim the differential bearing properly. It was done twice at the stealership and still leaked until he did the job himself.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 PM

You didn't say how many miles on this tranny that you are having removed. Make sure the shop cleans the interior of the bellhousing and clutch fork. You want them to remove any glaze from the flywheel. They should absolutely replace the throwout bearing after clearning all surfaces and lubricating pivot points on the ball stud, release bearing, and clutch fork clips. Getting a Stock viscous LSD tranny is of little value if the viscous pack isn't relatively new as the fluid inside breaks down over approximately 60K miles; a used one with more than that mileage wouldn't be worth the extra money. I"d go with the open diff. If you really care about an LSD you can get a geared (like Quaife) or clutch type installed for significantly more $$. If your driveaxles haven't been rebuilt with new grease and boots this might also be something you want to reconsider, all depends upon when they were last rebuilt, if at all. Good luck, Rich
Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 PM

My VLSD has over 160K miles and still functions correctly. According to the FSM test. but i suspect once it starts to get beat on the fluid heats up and it reverts to semi-open. Not a big deal though, a LSD will do very little in a straight line. I dont think ive heard of a clutch kit that contains the flywheel. The cost of a flywheel would knock up the price atleast $300, flywheels aint cheap, especially OEM. Personally id just get a fidanza but thats me. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
$900 was without a core, I can do it for $725 + your old trans, the shop can leave all the shift components in a box and toss the shaft's/dif back into the case for convenience.
I am getting the new transmission tommorow. If you still want the old one let me know. The transmission is about 200K miles. The input seal was messed up, and also the main bearing
was missing some of the nearings. The gears all look good, not chipped.

The reason I went for a "new" one was that the shop were not willing to replace the seal and bearing without doing a complete rebuild. They would not guarantee the rebuilding job........
Old 10-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by rocketrich
You didn't say how many miles on this tranny that you are having removed. Make sure the shop cleans the interior of the bellhousing and clutch fork. You want them to remove any glaze from the flywheel. They should absolutely replace the throwout bearing after clearning all surfaces and lubricating pivot points on the ball stud, release bearing, and clutch fork clips. Getting a Stock viscous LSD tranny is of little value if the viscous pack isn't relatively new as the fluid inside breaks down over approximately 60K miles; a used one with more than that mileage wouldn't be worth the extra money. I"d go with the open diff. If you really care about an LSD you can get a geared (like Quaife) or clutch type installed for significantly more $$. If your driveaxles haven't been rebuilt with new grease and boots this might also be something you want to reconsider, all depends upon when they were last rebuilt, if at all. Good luck, Rich
No rebuilt, getting a new transmission for $750 with guarantee. I have a 1995 Maxima SE which has a non-locked transmission. I am guessing that non-locked trans is non-LCD.

I will make sure the shop cleans the parts that you mentioned.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:54 AM
Maintenance Monster

The reason I went for a "new" one was that the shop were not willing to replace the seal and bearing without doing a complete rebuild. They would not guarantee the rebuilding job........
It would have been foolish to replace one seal and one bearing.

BTW, for $750 I don't think you're getting a new tranny. New ones are around $2000.

Dave
Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM

^^

And thanks for the offer to buy the tranny, but since you're in NJ and I'm not desperate for another one right now I'll let someone much closer take it off your hands........