4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Confused on which model this is

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:22 AM

Confused on which model this is

I saw a couple pics of the 96 maxima i am getting and tried to identify the model. It has black gauge faces, a sunroof, a black leather interior, power everything, but the door handles aren't chrome. I figure its probally a gxe, but i kind of wonder because it is fully loaded, so why wouldn't he just get the stock gle.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 AM
VIP Maxima

pics ? chrome grill ? sounds like a GLE with painted handles to me...

Old 11-04-2007, 01:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does it have factory woodgrain with the pop out pocket and woodgrain door switches? If so then its a GLE. If not then its a GXE with the C&C package.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Former Vendor

what color is the window trim?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:54 AM

I hate to steal this thread, but i have basically the same question about mine... its a 97, 5-speed, white gauges, cloth seats, color keyed door handles..... no "true" distinguishing marks.... i know the only way to be 100% sure is to look it up using the VIN number... but where would you go, besides a nissan dealership?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:24 AM
97' SE 5spd.

Read and compair your options. Hopefuly this helps!!

Standard Equipment/Optional Features and Packages

All three 1997 Maxima models come equipped with an unexpected level of standard equipment including: a multi-adjustable reclining front bucket driver's seat; power windows with driver-side one-touch auto-down feature; power door locks with selective unlocking; dual power remote-controlled outside mirrors; digital clock; and CFC-free air conditioning.

Other standard equipment includes a tilt steering column, cruise control, updated, larger cup holders, AM/FM/cassette stereo and center console with armrest.

The affordable GXE model offers standard luxury velour seat cloth, large center console area with storage for CDs and cassettes, available fold-down rear center armrest and 205/65R15 S-rated all-season tires.

For drivers seeking an extra level of style and performance, Maxima SE boasts a sport-tuned suspension with firmer shocks and struts, electronically controlled liquid-filled front engine mount (on automatic transmission models only), new 16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and H-rated all-season tires, a body-color rear decklid spoiler, new integrated fog lights, body-color door handles, blackout window moldings, sport velour seat cloth, new leather-wrapped steering wheel and gear shift ****, and black-on-white analog gauges with red pointers for increased visibility and a sporty appearance.

The luxurious Maxima GLE comes equipped with standard leather seating surfaces, wood-grain trim, new aluminum-alloy wheels, 8-way power driver- and 4-way power front-passenger seats, automatic climate control, a remote keyless entry and vehicle security system and a Bose( six speaker AM/FM stereo with CD player.

A number of options and packages are available on Maxima in 1997, including a power sliding glass sunroof with tilt feature and sunshade, vehicle security system, Cold Weather Package, Security and Convenience Package (GXE and SE), and Leather Trim Package (SE).

Maxima is available in four new exterior colors for 1997, Neptune Blue, Sage Mist Green, Concord Mist and Rosewood. Other Maxima colors include Pebble Beige Metallic, Deep Evergreen, Super Black and Arctic White Pearl. The exterior colors are available with complementary interior colors -- an updated Beige, Charcoal and Sereno cloth. New for 1997 is Sereno leather-appointed interior (available on GLE and SE models), in addition to Beige and Charcoal.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Twan013
... its a 97, 5-speed, white gauges, cloth seats, color keyed door handles..... no "true" distinguishing marks....
those are true distinguishing marks of an se. the op has conflicting marks (color matched handles and black face guages).
Old 11-04-2007, 08:29 AM

If all else fails, vin coding should do it. Stickies is the way
Originally Posted by mzmtg
The 4th gen Maxima was offered in three trim levels for the US market:
GXE "The essential Maxima"
SE "The Sportiest Maxima"
GLE "The luxurious Maxima"

All trim levels have the same engine, so performance differences between them are pretty much nil. The best way to tell which trim level you have is to decode the VIN Plate. This is due to much part swapping and trim upgrading, even transmission swaps that can be done.

TO DECODE THE VIN PLATE:
Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The sixth character is the trim level designator, defined as follows:
E = GXE
G = GLE
V = SE

There are some feature differences that can help you determine the trim level on site. Keep in mind that most of these can be changed aftermarket by the owner, but as we know the VAST majority of Maximas on the street are bone stock...

GXE
Black guage faces
Cloth seats
Basic stereo (BOSE optional but extremely rare)
Probably no sunroof (optional but very rare)
Chrome outer window trim and door handles
5spd or Auto trans
No spoiler
No fog lights
Steel wheels with hubcaps
Chrome grill on 97-99 models
Manual A/C

SE
White guage faces
"Sport" Cloth or leather seats
Basic or BOSE stereo
May have sunroof
Black outer window trim
Body color door handles
5spd or auto trans
Spoiler
Fog lights
15" blade-style (95-96) or 16" 5 spoke (97-99) alloy wheels
Body color grill on 97-99 models
Manual A/C or climate control
"Sport" suspension
Electronically controlled front engine mount on automatic transmission cars
Liquid filled rear shock mounts
(In Canada there is a model called the ES which is like an SE minus the BOSE, leather, sunroof, and spoiler (All standard on a Canadian SE). But, it does include the VLSD trans.)

GLE
Black guage faces
Leather seats
BOSE stereo
Sunroof
Chrome outer window trim and door handles
Auto trans only
No spoiler
No fog lights
15" honeycomb (95-96) or 15" blade-style (97-99) alloy wheels
Chrome grill on 97-99 models
Fake wood color dash and door trim
Fuzzy A-pillars on some years
Pop-out drawer (not flip-down) below radio on some years
Climate control only
Electronically controlled front engine mount
Liquid filled rear shock mounts

Keep in mind that spoilers, foglights, mudflaps and wood dash trim could be had as dealer-installed options on all levels.

Other options like heated seats, traction control, ABS and the like were offered on more than one trim level, so they are not a reliable indicator.

What are the differences between the 99 SE and the 99.5 SE-Limited (SE-L)?
Approx. early to midyear of '99, a version of the SE called the SE Limited debuted, with only these differences to the '99 SE

- "SE Limited" badging by driver and front passenger doors
- Titanium tinted wheels, gauges and "MAXIMA" badging
- Optional Perforated Leather seats
- Unique Crimson Blaze Red color as available color selection
- "SE Limited" logo embossed on floor mats & seats

It is largely believed that these were produced to get rid of remining A32 engines, parts, and shells. Evidence to support this is the fact that the SE-L could be equipped like every different trim of a Maxima, with the only commonality being the "Limited" traits listed above.

What makes the Infiniti I30 so special?

The Infiniti I30 is really just a dressed up Maxima. Personally, I think it is what the Maxima should/could have been. Anyway...

The I30 has the same drivetrain and suspension components as the Maxima. This means that all the engine and suspension mods for the Max will fit the I30. There is one critical difference with regard to transmissions, however. I30s equipped with the 5spd manual transmission have a VLSD. We all know why this is good.

As far as the exterior is concerned, the only panels shared between the cars are the doors and the roof.

The I30 includes all the features of the Maxima GLE plus:

Auto dimming mirror
Wood trim on the climate control panel
Chrome interior door handles
Electric fuel door release
Seatback pockets on the front seats
Rear seat headrests
One-piece rear floor mat (it covers the "hump" and has a logo in the middle)
Higher quality leather

Items like heated seats, sunroof, homelink, and leather were optional. It is very rare to find an I30 without a sunroof or leather. There was also an option called the Infiniti Communicator that was a built-in cell phone system.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 AM

beat me to it was just gonna say look it up by vin number in the stickies, that's the most accurate way, everything else can be swapped in and out.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:16 PM

ok, cool... i was thinking i had the SE, but wasn't 100% sure... i know a lot of cars out there (ie, all other cars except maxima's) have the model package emblems somewhere on them (SE, GLE, etc.)... and when i bought mine, i looked on here and saw that SE's have white gauges, sport suspension,etc. etc... but figured that white gauges could be found all over the place, aftermarket-wise... what with the (used to be) popularity of reverse glow gauges.. but yeah, a lot of the other stuff, most people wouldn't think of doing that on their own.. color matched front grill (i thought that was standard on all 4th gen maxima's anyway), BOSE system (which from what i can tell, you can get that on any maxima package...5-speed (once again, i thought was pretty common in any package level)

but anyway, thanks for clearing it all up!

now, if you'll please....:stfu:

j/k... i've been a member of several forums for the past, ohh... well, since i was in high school, and i've NEVER used the smilies.... and that one stood out, and i just had to put it somewhere...haha
Old 11-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor

oh yeah? well i like this one:
Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 PM

I found out its a gle. Strange because i doubt this guy would paint his handles...
Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Kevlo for President

This is basic info that can easily be found

yes I am gonna start cracking down on threads so don't PM about why I closed it.