4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fan-assisted air box: another home-made mod.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:08 PM
I like Maximas

but the real question is.....

Does it really Help AirFlow or Hinder it??

hmmmmmm:

VQ35heads: 43-271 CFM (rpm variable) vs Delta 107CFM (continuous)

..you've got questions we've got answers..
Old 11-06-2007, 05:08 PM

oh my where to start
yougsters these days

Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 PM

Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
But at 60mph your VQ is under what, 40hp of load? So some ricer math will give us 40CFM ~= 40hp.
Wait, what? Where'd you pull those figures from?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 PM
maxima985spd

I didn't really care to read much of this thread because I didn't understand much of the vocabulary and mathematics you guys were using, but I do have one question. I would guess that this is actually what you are talking about though.

I would guess that the fan wouldn't be able to keep up with the air flow going into the intake and actually restrict air?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by maxima985spd
I would guess that the fan wouldn't be able to keep up with the air flow going into the intake and actually restrict air?
At higher rpms, yes.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

My MAF on my 2003 Maxima sees ~ 295 CFM @ 6800 RPM I wonder what it would be if I added this?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

What good is all that said 'new' air flow if you cannot compare what is actually entering the engine?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:39 PM

Dj ,i think this is a waste ,well you know the amout of dirt that air stock pulls in ,your fan is mounted before the filter ....so your 100+ CFM fan will die in no time and will need replacement almost every week or may be earlier .So u use that fan money to fuel up instead
Old 11-06-2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Wait, what? Where'd you pull those figures from?
dj said his intake was flowing about 40CFM at a steady 60mph. I'm guesstimating that at 60mph a 4th gen is at about a 40hp load.

But the exact numbers are not really the important part. The important part is that when he's railing on his car his intake will be sucking in a lot more than 107CFM. Besides possibly adding a bit of low-end, the mod will do nothing to actually make the car faster (and will be a big bottleneck at redline). It will seem a bit zipper around town but that's about it, at partial throttle it's the equivalent of opening the throttle butterfly a little more.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 AM

A cpu fan is rated @ static air pressure (ie. free-stream pressure) They aren't capable of producing cfms @ pressure. say thru a intake maifold.static wiki from the wiki "The pressure inside a ventilation duct is not the static pressure, unless the air inside the duct is still. CFM vol vs. flow wiki

ie. the pressure inside the intake isn't static unless it's off

under vacuum or WOT load the fan will produce butkiss. like a turbonator

If you want pure air intake on a budget I'd suggest this
mod. air box mod

I did it /w 1 scoop and dropped 300 rpms @ 65mph
And check the Infineon Traffic Battle! vid on pg.1

my .02 on this Im out

Last edited by Buck96; 11-07-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Buck96
dropped 300 rpms @ 65mph
The RPM/Speed is a mechanical relation, meaning you would need to change the FD or the gear ratios in order to see a difference with respect to RPM/speed.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:30 AM

A cpu fan is rated @ static air pressure (ie. free-stream pressure) They aren't capable of producing cfms @ pressure. say thru a intake maifold.static wiki from the wiki "The pressure inside a ventilation duct is not the static pressure, unless the air inside the duct is still. CFM vol vs. flow wiki

ie. the pressure inside the intake isn't static unless it's off

under vacuum or WOT load the fan will produce butkiss. like a turbonator

If you want pure air intake on a budget I'd suggest this
mod. air box mod

I did it /w 1 scoop and dropped 300 rpms @ 65mph
And check the Infineon Traffic Battle! vid on pg.1

my .02 on this Im out

Nice mod, but nothing new. Adding another intake source has been around for a long time (at least nine years or more):

(http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0009&P=1)

I've also tried what you did, but found it to be not that effective or practical in rainstorms. It's essentially the same as the old HACAI well-documented elsewhere in this forum)

The stock scoop on our A32's has an intentionally narrow opening so as to (1) reduce noise and (2) fit in the available space between the radiator and hood.

Any additional openings to the outside air will be an improvement, and one of Honda's airboxes does, indeed, have two openings, and much higher CFM ratings than Nissan boxes (*surprise*).

The problem is that, unless you put in a bypass switch, you are going to suck in water during rainstorms.

In short, they may be OK for the track, but not advisable for everyday driving.

A cpu fan is rated @ static air pressure (ie. free-stream pressure) They aren't capable of producing cfms @ pressure. say thru a intake maifold.
If that was true, then neither the stock intake or your setup would be capable of producing cfms @ pressure through an intake manifold. Neither setup is a "ram-air" configuration, so I don't see where it would force air into the intake under pressure, either.

If it weren't for the vacuum created by the engine, the engine would not run at idle. At a dead stop, and on a calm day, there is zero air coming into the air intake on its own power. It is drawn in by the vacuum.

I advise everyone to read the following article on stock air boxes that appeared in AutoSpeed:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0073/printArticle.html

They compare 14 different makes of stock air intakers (stock airboxes and snorkels). Although they did not test a 4th Gen airbox, they did test a Z31 300ZX and an R31 Skyline, and I don't see how our stock intakes could be much higher than those -- in fact, they may be lower.

The CFM readings they obtained for these two stock boxes were 85CFM for the 300ZX and 78CFM for the Skyline. They also tested the 300ZX without the snorkel and got a reading of 90CFM -- which tends to validates my statement regarding the restrictiveness of the snorkel.

I'df also like to point out -- and this will be my last comment on this subject -- that CFM's, measured as the static rate of air flow through a cylinder, are inversely proportional to the volume of that cylinder. Shrinking the size of the cylinder shrinks its volume and increases CFMs. Increasing the volume decreases CFM's.

It's the reason why vacuum cleaners draw air in through long, narrow cylinders, and the reason why putting a nozzle on -- which has an even smaller volume --- increases the rate of air flowing through it.

So, making direct comparisons in CFM between the very small, and uniformly shaped, cylindrical volume of an intake and the much larger, and more convoluted, volume of a stock air box is like comparing apples and lasagna.

When someone can prove to me that the static rate of air flow, measured in CFM's, two inches to the right of the opening inside the bottom half of a stock, 4th Gen air box, using a totally stock OEM 4th Gen setup, exceeds 107 CFM by at least 5% during normal driving, then I'll admit that the fan is an impediment under those conditions.

In fact, I would really like to know of any realistic driving scenario in which the incoming air is at least 5% more than 107CFM's in the bottom half of a totally stock 4th Gen. Given how easy it is to remove the fan, I can always pull it when needed.

(the 5% is to allow for measurement error)
Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 AM

Please put the computer fan back in.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 AM

well i have 329cfm in my ~=`c~~ which boosts 506hp when it runs at wot for 5 mins and your back tires psi is 12 and your wipers are off, but after all that is done it ends up running at a load of dirt in a fan at 60mph at a great distance with an air filter bringing in 100cfm on the edge which if you add 5% window tint and a set of 26" rims on a 300zx skyline makes the computer go to maxima.org at which point your fan runs on lithium at 70cfm then you purge your wiper fluid and you can beat a fighter jet in a 100 mile race that runs at 10cfm...

now this is what i understand when i read this thread, am i right, is that what happens?????

Last edited by jvckustumz; 11-07-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
In fact, I would really like to know of any realistic driving scenario in which the incoming air is at least 5% more than 107CFM's in the bottom half of a totally stock 4th Gen. Given how easy it is to remove the fan, I can always pull it when needed.

(the 5% is to allow for measurement error)
Are you seriously just going to ignore a WOT condition? You realize that the fan does very little for your mileage and low-end, right? It's just pushing a bit more air into the combustion chamber which will require (gasp) more fuel! Now, that's important when it helps the engine under WOT conditions I.E. flow more air than it would naturally take in, but your fan does not seem like it can. And while you may quote an article on maximum flow through various old airboxes, evidence would suggest that more than 100CFM is required for the VQ30.

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 11-07-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 PM

I'df also like to point out -- and this will be my last comment on this subject -- that CFM's, measured as the static rate of air flow through a cylinder, are inversely proportional to the volume of that cylinder. Shrinking the size of the cylinder shrinks its volume and increases CFMs. Increasing the volume decreases CFM's.
Read up, buddy. CFM is short for "cubic feet per minute," or a rate of VOLUME flow, NOT linear flow. While smaller openings will restrict flow they will not increase maximum flow.

It's the reason why vacuum cleaners draw air in through long, narrow cylinders, and the reason why putting a nozzle on -- which has an even smaller volume --- increases the rate of air flowing through it.
No, this is to increase the VELOCITY of the air traveling to the vac bag. The quicker the air travels (by using a smaller diameter tube and flowing the same CFM) the more it will suck up. Same deal for the small nozzle cross-sectional area--higher velocity of airflow = more force (or suction) acting on whatever it's close to.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:06 PM

Just a heads up.

You said "if it does nothing else other than cool the air down it still helps" or something to that effect.

Fans dont cool the air down, they force more air over surfaces, and when that surface is your skin it causes more evaporation, which is a cooling process, so unless your car is powered by hampsters (hondas might benefit from this) its not cooling anything
Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 PM

OMG I just realized the thread creator is the same person that came up with this one
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=541186

bahahhahah
Old 11-08-2007, 01:01 AM

^^^ I remember that

Dj, Putting aside fuel and spark....Just think of a motor as a big pump, the faster you get air to flow through the engine (Intake & Exhaust) the more HP you'll create once fuel and spark are added- this is why people port, do cams, pistons, exhaust, etc. Volume of air is also important....with this said, how do you expect that 100+ cfm fan to keep up with the broad range of air required by the motor in different rpm's?

Also bringing in vacuum cleaners isn't necessarily a good comparison, If you put a CAI on your car that has an ID of 1.5" will your car gain or loose HP? You said this increases flow....try walking around with only a straw to breath through-->no nose- no mouth- just the straw....your blood pressure will rise cause you heart will b working harder. That vacuum cleaners motor draws "x" amps Y? because it's being restricted. The fan can't keep up with the demands of the motor-so the motor will have to work harder, thus the bottle necking others have stated. I can understand some of ur logic but...... but application is off when it comes to pre-existing requirements.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:26 AM

i remember that too lol, i thought it was a joke tho....
Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 AM
† ErV †

florida + 4th gen = this thread

i am not surprised but i am amused.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Fuhget About It.....

a for effort
b for bullshyt
Old 11-08-2007, 02:11 PM

You can't be serious.....
Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Because I Can

thats pretty cool...id never think to do nething like that...prly cuz im not on stock intake tho -_- props!!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Read up, buddy. CFM is short for "cubic feet per minute," or a rate of VOLUME flow, NOT linear flow. While smaller openings will restrict flow they will not increase maximum flow.

No, this is to increase the VELOCITY of the air traveling to the vac bag. The quicker the air travels (by using a smaller diameter tube and flowing the same CFM) the more it will suck up. Same deal for the small nozzle cross-sectional area--higher velocity of airflow = more force (or suction) acting on whatever it's close to.

thank you

I'df also like to point out -- and this will be my last comment on this subject -- that CFM's, measured as the static rate of air flow through a cylinder, are inversely proportional to the volume of that cylinder. Shrinking the size of the cylinder shrinks its volume and increases CFMs. Increasing the volume decreases CFM's
think about that, CFM's are measured as the STATIC RATE of air FLOW?
static means stationary, as in, NOT moving, how can you calculate CFM if the air isnt moving?
sorry dude but you are talking COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR A$$
keep the computer fan in there though, its wickid!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Droppin logs

This can't end well
Old 11-08-2007, 02:54 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by D-Bo
This can't end well
I was waiting for that.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:42 PM
dko
duck and cover

A+++ Thread... Would LOL again!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 PM
close but no cigar

This is what comes to mind when I imagine your car

Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 AM
blah

I'm not sure if anyone else has said this but do you realize this is a computer case fan? Most cpu fan's can't even handle 6+ years worth of dust before they stop spinning and lock up. This fan will have to deal with a lot more than what your standard computer will have to deal with sitting in a completely controlled environment. There's moisture, dirt, rocks, leaves, and extreme temperatures this fan will have to deal with.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:26 AM
turbo

I'd like to see a dyno and A/F readout over the entire RPM range vs. stock.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:03 PM

Super chargers work because they create pressure and flow. This fan has some flow but pressure is almost zero. Thats great for ventilating air but is useless for forced-inducation. You may have felt some difference, but the difference was probably caused by the fan throwing the MAF out of calibration and making the computer dump extra fuel in. If you ran this fan, took out the spark plugs and felt for air coming out, there would be next to nothing there.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:11 PM

I had to double check the date to make sure it's not April 1st
Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

dr, I don't think you mentioned what size fan you are using. 80mm I assume? I took a look in the bag of computer fans I have in the garage, and you are right, 107 CFM is very good. Here's what I have in my bag o' fans:
Link Depot, 50mm, 9.6 CFM ($6)
Link Depot, Z-Quiet fan, 80mm, 4 pack: 27.5 CFM ($15/4)
Link Depot, 80mm, 38.2 CFM ($8)
Link Depot, 92mm, 43.5 CFM ($8)
Vantec, Tornado, 80mm, 81.5 CFM ($15)
Link Depot, 120mm, 100.4 CFM ($12)

I am going to strategically place them throughout my engine bay for cooler engine temps and increased heat dissipation. I plan to put the 120mm fan directly in front of my water-to-air aftercooler's heat exchanger.

dr, what do you do with the yellow wire? I assume it can just be ignored and only the red and black need be hooked up?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:58 AM

there is good reason for people to make fun of a 100cfm fan when at redline your car is trying to pump through 300cfm.

However..

what if you where to place 4 of these 100cfm fans in series, or perhaps paralleling to each other. in paralleling they would be pushing through close to 350 CFM. and in series they may be able to generate some pressure at the lower rpm.

Also. how much do they cost?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tvis
CPU fan FTL

Leafblower FTW

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....AD23CA9564&p=0

(music in the video FTL)

It's called forced induction and you should leave this to Turbo's and Superchargers.

Next thing we will hear is someone strapping a Leafblower to the rear of the car because it gives the car thrust.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 19Maximus98
It's called forced induction and you should leave this to Turbo's and Superchargers.

Next thing we will hear is someone strapping a Leafblower to the rear of the car because it gives the car thrust.

lol that is so true
Old 11-13-2007, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mywhitewolf
there is good reason for people to make fun of a 100cfm fan when at redline your car is trying to pump through 300cfm.

However..

what if you where to place 4 of these 100cfm fans in series, or perhaps paralleling to each other. in paralleling they would be pushing through close to 350 CFM. and in series they may be able to generate some pressure at the lower rpm.

Also. how much do they cost?
The fan is 80mm square, outputs 107CFM at static air pressure, and cost $12.00 shipped.

If you are looking for more CFMs', you could try what will be my next project: hooking up a 4" cylindrical bilge blower fan (an axial fan with an output of 250CFM's) to a CAI. These blower fans cost about $25 shipped. You could also try running two of them in tandem, which would give you nearly 400CFM's.

I also bought a 3" bilge blower fan for $15 shipped. That has a 170CFM rating.

AutoSpeed did an article on Electric Boost (http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2063/article.html) that discussed what's currently available. My idea about the bilge blower fans is similar to the e-RAM reviewed there.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:05 AM

The fan is 80mm square, outputs 107CFM at static air pressure, and cost $12.00 shipped.

If you are looking for more CFMs', you could try what will be my next project: hooking up a 4" cylindrical bilge blower fan (an axial fan with an output of 250CFM's) to a CAI. These blower fans cost about $25 shipped. You could also try running two of them in tandem, which would give you nearly 400CFM's.

I also bought a 3" bilge blower fan for $15 shipped. That has a 170CFM rating.

AutoSpeed did an article on Electric Boost (http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2063/article.html) that discussed what's currently available. My idea about the bilge blower fans is similar to the e-RAM reviewed there.

Good Luck with that!!

With the cost of replacing your engine when the plastic blades of the bilge pump break off and get sucked into your intake and you have to replace the top half of your engine you might as well have spent all that money on a Supercharger.

Was he serious??!!!

Quick Reply: Fan-assisted air box: another home-made mod.