4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Warpspeed Y-pipe (I know, I Know)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 PM

Warpspeed Y-pipe (I know, I Know)

I know this has been discussed many times before , but I've been searching and searching (using free search and my eyeballs) and I can't seem to find the information I saw before.

All I need to know is about the warpspeed y-pipe. Its only $199, so it seems like a great deal, but I'm just concerned about the bees in a can noise. I've seen them on youtube and it seemed like on some cars it did and others not.... what's the consensus?

I would also consider the budget y-pipe, but where can you buy them now? It seems like they're hard to get a hold of.

Thanks, and any links to old threads are very much welcome.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:54 PM
No more Maximas...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=wsp+bees
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....warpspeed+bees

And for LSS:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=budget
Old 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Old Maxima Legend

grab a warpspeed ypipe and keep the factory catback. bees in a can isnt so bad is it ? dont know for certain but shouldnt be to bad if you keep the factory cat, bpipe, muffler on there
Old 11-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a WS and I dont have any bees in the can noise...paired with a straight pipe and a Greddy SP2...have had it for over a year...

Ceasar do you have white wiper arms in your sig pic?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 PM

thanks guys. I wonder why I couldn't find anything with free search searching for y-pipe, ypipe, warpspeed, ect.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Yeah, im definently looking into getting a y pipe too. I'm trying to get the budget y pipe, what is the site i can get it from?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:20 PM

I can not recommend the WS Y Pipe. I have one on my car. I have a VQ35 with VQ30 stock exh manifolds, stock cat, stock b pipe, stock muffler. It makes an embarrassing "exhaust leak" kind of sound. I could say it sounds like "bees in a can" but of course my stock exh system muffles that out pretty well. It actually seems as if the WS uses thin tubing and/or a weak flex section that allows too much noise to be transmitted directly thru the surface of the steel. Like I said, sounds like an exhaust leak, but I am sure my car has absolutely no exhaust leaks.

Another thing, I am not so sure about the benefit of the Y Pipe on a car with the remainder of the exh system being stock. My stock exh system is only 1.9" in diameter at many points, and generally never more than 2.1". Don't see how the 3.0 and 3.5 motors can make any power on such a small exh system (but they do of course). I just doubt there is much to be gained from the WS Y Pipe and a stock exh system.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 PM

WS sucks.. the flex section is loud.. just like ^^ said.. it sounds like and exhaust leak
Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Ok..... Look about 1 month ago, i was in your position. I knew i wanted a Y pipe, didnt know anything about it.

Ok. I have a 99 maxima, greddy style muffler and no resonator.

I got the WS y pipe. When i got it , i went to an exhaust shop which was a good ida, because it was too long and had to be cut.

But when it was dine it sounds amazing. I had bees in a can kinda noise, but i took of the heat shield and now it just sounds

- mean
- with *****
- amazing
-not to loud (but loud)
- Like an exhaust supposed to sound.

Its up to you, a y pipe is a y pipe they all do the same ****.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:09 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MaximaPimpin
Yeah, im definently looking into getting a y pipe too. I'm trying to get the budget y pipe, what is the site i can get it from?
I posted the link above...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Willing to learn

I just installed the LSS/Budget y-pipe & B-pipe on my 3.5 swap. Still using the stock muffler for now. The LSS system is a work of art, very nicely made, full 2.5" from the flex section the way back and NO bees in the can noise. Very easy to install and fit perfectly with no rattles. I recommend it highly.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:13 AM

I am probably going with a budget instead. Even though I want Cattman headers instead. But the power benefits vs the headers are like a couple of horsepower difference.
Its just that y pipes cost 200 bucks and Cattman headers are 850! Plus you need to get a 02 sim and rewire it, if you have emissions, and I do! But the damn headers sound WAYYYYYY better than any y pipe.

I guess I'll be getting a ypipe for now and when I get some extra loot later I'll go with the CAttman headers. Just want the extra power for now regardless if I get the "bees in a can" noise.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:21 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by made in china
I can not recommend the WS Y Pipe. I have one on my car. I have a VQ35 with VQ30 stock exh manifolds, stock cat, stock b pipe, stock muffler. It makes an embarrassing "exhaust leak" kind of sound. I could say it sounds like "bees in a can" but of course my stock exh system muffles that out pretty well. It actually seems as if the WS uses thin tubing and/or a weak flex section that allows too much noise to be transmitted directly thru the surface of the steel. Like I said, sounds like an exhaust leak, but I am sure my car has absolutely no exhaust leaks.

Another thing, I am not so sure about the benefit of the Y Pipe on a car with the remainder of the exh system being stock. My stock exh system is only 1.9" in diameter at many points, and generally never more than 2.1". Don't see how the 3.0 and 3.5 motors can make any power on such a small exh system (but they do of course). I just doubt there is much to be gained from the WS Y Pipe and a stock exh system.
I have the same "senstation" if you will on my SS AutoChrome setup. I have their headers and y-pipe, warpspeed cat, budget b-pipe, and stock muffler.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:41 PM

I ended up ordering the warpspeed. Even if it does have that weird noise people are talking about, I don't think I will mind. Right now there are holes in the y-pipe so it is REALLY loud. I just hope it doesn't have too much bee sound, because that would be annoying.

I would have gone with the budget/LSS, but it is more expensive now that US$ is weak and it just seemed really inconvenient to order. WS was just a click on ebay.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:18 PM

When you replace your y pipe do you have to replace the o2 sensors or can you just reuse them? And what does everyone recommend for the muffler/tip. Should I go with the b pipe or just stay stock? I'm doing everything on low budget so if the gains aren't high i don't want to buy it for no reason.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:00 AM

I have a WS y-pipe its not loud at all. It could be that you all arent tightening the bolts tight enough on their special flex section. When I first installed mine it was nasty loud because we left the bolts kinda loose but I just tightened the bolts up and now its normal while regular driving and it has a nice growl when I get on it. No bees in the can sound either. Dubbya helped me install it, Flava has heard my car as well as some others. Flava's 24/7 is louder than mine by far. To tell you the truth the aftermarket y-pipes are easier to install and remove than the factory ones because of the straight pipes. O2's will screw in no problem. The only hard part for us was removing the cat bolts. Those suckers were on good. Nothing anyone cant handle though. You may want to have a buddy help you to hold it up and out of the way for some bolts. You are also removing quite a bit of weight when doing this mod. When you are done, before putting the WS one on. Lift the factory one and then lift the WS one. World of a difference in weight. Have fun with it.

PS. I did want an LSS budget but I ended up with this one with only 7k miles at a steal of a price I had to jump on it. I also got a little better gas mileage off of it, which I was very surprised about. Im not a spirited driver but like to get on it sometimes. All in all, it was nice to see that though.

Last edited by max95q; 11-10-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by max95q
I have a WS y-pipe its not loud at all. It could be that you all arent tightening the bolts tight enough on their special flex section. When I first installed mine it was nasty loud because we left the bolts kinda loose but I just tightened the bolts up and now its normal while regular driving and it has a nice growl when I get on it. No bees in the can sound either. Dubbya helped me install it, Flava has heard my car as well as some others. Flava's 24/7 is louder than mine by far.

The noise my Y Pipe makes is the same sound as an exhaust leak, just not as loud. I never hear it unless my window is open and I am driving next to a wall and the sound is reflected back into my car. It makes the car sound like crap on the outside, but it sounds fine otherwise.

Because my car is very quiet, stock intake and exhaust, the Y pipe noise is very noticeable. I think people with noisier cars (intake and/or exh) probably wouldn't even notice the low level noise. but on my car, it's annoying.

And no, I don't have an exh leak.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 PM

Is all I have is the y pipe as well. Tighten it up man. You should see a quieter ride with normal driving whether the windows are up or down. My car was the same way as yours when we first installed it. It sounded like I had an exhaust leak, just disgusting. I got mad one day jacked up the car and tightened the bolts to the flex section as tight as I could get them. Ever since then the car is lovely. Has a nice growl when I get on it only. Make sure you do this in the morning or before driving it that day.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 PM

I've already followed the procedure for "correcting" the connection between the flex and cat. Supposedly, if it is not installed correctly, the flex can get tweaked and the flange at the cat won't seal tightly. Yes, I have checked, double and triple checked. The noise is caused by the thin tubing used in the Y-Pipe, and possibly the flex section also. That's why OEM stuff is so heavy, layered or made of cast parts-to keep the noise down.

I'll probably keep the WS Y Pipe, get larger exh installed in the future. It's not so noisy that I feel compelled to change anything, so........
Old 11-11-2007, 12:08 PM

You could also try buying some exhaust gaskets for the cat connections from autozone or whatever. I ended up buying 6. 3 for both sides of my test pipe...after that I have had 0 issues with exhaust leakish noise. It was about an hour of time and about 8 bucks....
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM

I have had w/speed y over 1 year,allthe rest is stock.Car is VERY quiet.No rattles,bees,or anything to indicate exhaust is not stock.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Wild for Width

It depends when the Warpspeed was purchased, they have had 5-6 designs (maybe more now). I bought the one AFTER they did the SOLID "flex" area from the 2005 group deal for $160 shipped to my door and it has been very quiet since the day installed. When the rest of my exhaust was stock there was NO difference. I was almost disappointed LOL, a friend of mine has a Cattman that was night and day (healthy growl) with an otherwise stock exhaust.

From my experience Warpspeed has been very hit and miss both with products and service. For some reason when I placed my order the 1st batch shipped right out and it has been great since.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Wild for Width

Also since it has not been mentioned, the best sounding y-pipe will be an equal-length design.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Ive seen people wrap there pipes in heat wrap? Does this make it quiter? and if so, where do you get this heat wrap