4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Low-mileage 5-spd 97SE on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 03:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Low-mileage 5-spd 97SE on ebay

I hear a lot of people having trouble finding a 5-spd Maxima, so I thought I'd post this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...985661&r=0&t=0

If you can live with the color, an $11k reserve on a fully loaded 5-spd SE with only 37k miles is a fantastic deal.

(sorry if someone had bid on this and hoped no one else would find out about it )
Old 10-23-2001, 03:06 PM

it is...
Old 10-23-2001, 03:53 PM

uh.....The Texas Water Title thing kinda scares me......I be very careful about purchasing that car.
Old 10-23-2001, 05:19 PM

It also said that the airbag sensor was bad
Old 10-23-2001, 07:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Salvage titles can be RIS-KAY. Although I did well on my 88 CRX which was actually two different cars welded together. It drove great until I sold it with 90K.
Old 10-23-2001, 07:58 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by dobiegillis
Salvage titles can be RIS-KAY. Although I did well on my 88 CRX which was actually two different cars welded together. It drove great until I sold it with 90K.
ha
Old 10-23-2001, 08:13 PM

lol, so what exactly does texas water title mean. I saw this car on ebay during my computer class without reading over it and I was ready to drive to Houston after using the buy it now option. When I got home, I read over it and it said texas water title and faulty air bag sensor.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:06 PM

Caveat emptor...

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
lol, so what exactly does texas water title mean.
It means that the car was in a flood. The owner declared it as a total loss to his insurance company. If the seller is the original owner, he could have bought it back from his insurance company. Or the seller could be someone who purchased it at auction.

I once unknowingly purchased a vehicle with a salvage title. The car was great, and it was a great deal. However, be warned: you'll never know what's wrong, and don't buy unless you plan to drive it into the ground. Cars with branded titles are very hard to get rid of.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:54 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i would not buy a salvage car. especially if it was in flood damage, this means there is a risk of water entering the engine, various sensors, connectors, tranny and hell knows what might have been affected in some way.. electrical stuff I would not mess with.. besides, at the current prices, you can find a 97 SE 5spd for around that much which has a clean title and maybe a little more miles...
Old 10-24-2001, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
i would not buy a salvage car.
I didn't see that part when I posted the link...I don't think I'd buy a salvage car either. Although its probably no worse than a car that's been in a bad accident and had $6,000 worth of work put into it...
Old 10-24-2001, 05:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Caveat emptor...

Originally posted by jargoone

Cars with branded titles are very hard to get rid of.
There used to be loopholes in the law where you could get your title "cleaned" but I think most states have closed those now. We got a clean title on that CRX of mine back in 94 because Kentucky didn't transfer that on out of state titles as long as you walked it through their central title office. As for the morality of it, well that's another discussion...
Old 10-24-2001, 06:40 AM

yeah i might have messed up on mine... i bought mine and did a carfax on it only afterwards... the car looked it great condition and it's my first car purchase, so i kinda just impulsively purchased it.
it was originally purchased in connecticut with a commercial liscence.
the less than a year later, suddenly it has has it's first Title issued in Dallas texas and first Lien reported??? i have no idea what that means. Then less than a year later a Salvage title/certificate issued appears. Sold at salvage auction. back in connecticut.

anyone have any idea or theory what might have hapenned?

oh and then a few months later, suddenly a registration was issued in Quebec canada... weird.

I really would like to know what hapenned to my car to have it be sold at a salvage auction. I tried contacting the connecticut DMV to get information on the car, but i have to fill out a form, then mail and all this crap. Sucks.

overall the car runs great though, i hope it doesn't
fall apart soon
Old 10-24-2001, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by multiplexor
it was originally purchased in connecticut with a commercial liscence. the less than a year later, suddenly it has has it's first Title issued in Dallas texas and first Lien reported??? i have no idea what that means. Then less than a year later a Salvage title/certificate issued appears. Sold at salvage auction. back in connecticut.

anyone have any idea or theory what might have hapenned?
I can at least guess.

If it had a commercial license, it was either a taxi, or more likely, a rental. This, like salvage or flood status, sticks on the title for good.

A lien reported just means that someone purchased it and got a loan on it. The bank puts a lien on it so you can't sell it without paying them first.

That owner probably was in a wreck, and it was declared a total loss by his insurance company. They sold it to a salvage dealer, who probably reconditioned it and sold it to you.

It gets ever fuzzier because different insurance companies will total vehicles under different circumstances. I've heard of it happening with very little damage. You'll probably never know exactly what happened unless you contact the original owner. Bottom line: it's usually not worth the couple thousand in savings. You might be driving a time bomb, and you will have great difficulty selling it while being honest.

That said, I had a salvaged 1993 Accord for about 3 years. I was young and stupid when I bought it, but it was a great car, and probably still is.

Use CarFax. It's well worth the $20.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:18 AM

Don't Buy It!!!

I live near Houston and back about 4 months ago, there was a huge flood there. Insurance companies actually paid people like 50-75% of the cars value, depending on how much water was in the car, if the owner kept it. By doing so, the don't have to issue a new title so it is still a clean or clear title. They did this alot with the dealerships and a lot of people got screwed. Most people asked if the title was clear and technically, it is on paper.

Also, my friend that fixes wrecked cars, clean or salvaged, runs away from flood or water damaged cars. Too many sensors that can get screwed up.
Old 10-24-2001, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by jargoone

I can at least guess.

If it had a commercial license, it was either a taxi, or more likely, a rental. This, like salvage or flood status, sticks on the title for good.

A lien reported just means that someone purchased it and got a loan on it. The bank puts a lien on it so you can't sell it without paying them first.

That owner probably was in a wreck, and it was declared a total loss by his insurance company. They sold it to a salvage dealer, who probably reconditioned it and sold it to you.

It gets ever fuzzier because different insurance companies will total vehicles under different circumstances. I've heard of it happening with very little damage. You'll probably never know exactly what happened unless you contact the original owner. Bottom line: it's usually not worth the couple thousand in savings. You might be driving a time bomb, and you will have great difficulty selling it while being honest.

That said, I had a salvaged 1993 Accord for about 3 years. I was young and stupid when I bought it, but it was a great car, and probably still is.

Use CarFax. It's well worth the $20.
well i'm hoping it's going to run fine for a while..
the salvage title was issued back in 97 i believe...
i just bought it this year a couple months ago.
engine and all seems to run great. i'm guessing it might have been a minor problem. I hope
Old 10-24-2001, 02:17 PM

DO NOT BUY SALVAGE! It is not worth it. We live in a country were cars are as plentiful as water. In my opinion, there is no salvage deal worth it. When I used to goto the dealer auto autions with a friend of mine, the general rule was salvage = 1/2 wholesale. This includes repos, livery, flood, or any other markings on the title. Cars with salvage titles are difficult if not impossible to sell. Please stay away from these cars. For the members who bought salvage cars w/o knowing, try to take legal action if possible. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2001, 03:36 PM

hmm.. salvage title + bad airbag kind of hinds that it was in an accident where the airbag went off??? maybe not but this car is a risk